All Ireland Gaelic Football Final 2014 Kerry v Donegal

Started by rrhf, August 31, 2014, 10:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beer baron

Whitnail

There was a staleness from Donegal that really wasn't planned, it's psychological and can happen I really don't think its anything Kerry did in 70mins.
We had it against Armagh, to some degree Dublin (after 20mins) had it against us, Mayo had it at the wrong times against Kerry(regardless of the referee).
All sports people will talk about playing in the moment and when your mind is on the end result or getting over the line the moment can almost be  a chore & tactics,gameplans etc are just irrelevant.
I could pick out 4,5 Donegal players whose mind completely lapsed at crucial times wheras id struggle to pick out a single Kerry player and thats why they were the better team ....just and there can be no complaints about the result.

If Jim could pick the team again im pretty sure a fresh McBearty would have started & maybe Jigger would have started the 2nd half instead of McFadden etc I'm pretty sure they're a few things rolling anout in his head today.. but thats sport.
There was a strage anticlimactic feeling going into the final in Donegal in general compared to 2012 despite what anyone pretends It was a weird championship in general and totally agree with anyone who says that it was the worst final in years

J OGorman

McGuinness mentioned in his interview that the players felt a little flat and short of energy. When breaking there was 2 / 3 players breaking instead of the usual plethora. Too much training in the run in?
Do the Donegal men think he will stay on? Dare you think who could try to fill his boots?

Whitnail

Quote from: J OGorman on September 22, 2014, 07:30:53 PM
McGuinness mentioned in his interview that the players felt a little flat and short of energy. When breaking there was 2 / 3 players breaking instead of the usual plethora. Too much training in the run in?
Do the Donegal men think he will stay on? Dare you think who could try to fill his boots?

For me it totally depends on Ronnie Deila and wheather Jim thinks Ronnie will be a longterm manager cause if he isn't, obviously there's no guarantee his job is secure if a new man comes in.. Tbh im not sold that Jim wants to emigrate to Glasgow fulltime change his kid's schools, new house etc etc so I think for that reason he'll stay put in Donegal.

Tiredess definitely a factor but more psychological than physical casuse Kerry had two tough semi's to get over.
I'm mot a stats man but if a team manages to overcome the Dubs in next year's semifinal I'd worry about them in the final not sure how many teams have successfully done this in the last halfdozen years. It's mentally draining.

SouthDublinBro

Quote from: NaomhBridAbĂș on September 22, 2014, 11:57:11 AM
Crossmaglen will change?

Cross have always played a boring to watch, overly-defensive blend of football.

AZOffaly

larryin89

Seen some social media rumours , jimmy mcg to announce he's stepping down tonight?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Aaron Boone

Donegal should have been rolling into Pettigo with the cup about now.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 22, 2014, 07:52:08 PM
What??? That's crazy talk.

If you haven't realised it by now AZ - SouthDublinBro is an account (likely by someone else on the board) designed simply to troll others.

drici

http://www.highlandradio.com/on-air/listen-live/

Live from Donegal Town.
Jimmy speaking at the moment.

BluestackBoy

There were 3 turning points in the game.

1. Odhran fumbling a routine pass which led to first goal.
2. Papa's kickout which led to second goal.
3. Colm's fisted effort hitting the post at the end.

When it's your day one, two or even all three of these will go your way. It was Kerry's day & good luck to them.

We had it our way against Dublin when all the breaks fell our way. Such is life.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

mylestheslasher

If you want to beat an in form Donegal team who play a well drilled counter attack/blanket defence then you play them at their own game. The result is the spectacle of that shite we watched on Sunday. Its a shame to see the biggest game of the year reduced to such poor quality.

Jell 0 Biafra

Personally I'd have no problem with defensive minded teams, or games between two such teams.   The problem with yesterday's game was more the poor execution of skills, stray passes, poor shooting and poor decision making in attack by both teams. 

cuyahoga

Quote from: BluestackBoy on September 22, 2014, 09:34:35 PM
There were 3 turning points in the game.

1. Odhran fumbling a routine pass which led to first goal.
2. Papa's kickout which led to second goal.
3. Colm's fisted effort hitting the post at the end.

When it's your day one, two or even all three of these will go your way. It was Kerry's day & good luck to them.

We had it our way against Dublin when all the breaks fell our way. Such is life.

You've hit the the nail on the head from where I saw it.