All Ireland Gaelic Football Final 2014 Kerry v Donegal

Started by rrhf, August 31, 2014, 10:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: orangeman on September 22, 2014, 03:09:25 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 22, 2014, 03:05:51 PM
I don't think that's the same incident. I think Killian Young was involved in the last minute one.

What did Johnny Buckley get the black card for ?.

somebody had to get one
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

Jinxy

Quote from: yellowcard on September 22, 2014, 03:20:40 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on September 22, 2014, 03:07:10 PM
Quote from: Dont Matter on September 22, 2014, 03:01:38 PM
Was a poor enough game. We're well used to defensive matches these days but score taking has improved greatly over recent years, yesterday it was very poor. Loads of shots wide and there was a lack of pace to the attacks. Both teams were over cautious. Kerry deserved the win though and great credit must go to Fitzmaurice.
On another note, something has to be done about the finances for inter county teams. It's no coincidence that the four semi finalists had far more resources available to them than most of the other counties. Dubl$n obviously had the most but the other three had plenty of cash to spend too.
It's an amateur sport lads, the spending and other stuff going on is getting out of control. We need to cut the legs from underneath it before it's too late.

Donegal have their London sugar daddy while Dublin get a few quid here and there. Havent heard ought of Mayo and Kerry spending crazy money. Whats the word on the street Huggy?

I'm nearly sure Kerry had a foreign training camp pre championship this year and regularly stay in Fota Island the weekend before matches so I'd imagine they have a reasonably hefty spend as well.mThe theory about restricting spend of teams is correct but I don't know how you would police it.

That was their foreign training camp.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jinxy on September 22, 2014, 03:24:46 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on September 22, 2014, 03:20:40 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on September 22, 2014, 03:07:10 PM
Quote from: Dont Matter on September 22, 2014, 03:01:38 PM
Was a poor enough game. We're well used to defensive matches these days but score taking has improved greatly over recent years, yesterday it was very poor. Loads of shots wide and there was a lack of pace to the attacks. Both teams were over cautious. Kerry deserved the win though and great credit must go to Fitzmaurice.
On another note, something has to be done about the finances for inter county teams. It's no coincidence that the four semi finalists had far more resources available to them than most of the other counties. Dubl$n obviously had the most but the other three had plenty of cash to spend too.
It's an amateur sport lads, the spending and other stuff going on is getting out of control. We need to cut the legs from underneath it before it's too late.

Donegal have their London sugar daddy while Dublin get a few quid here and there. Havent heard ought of Mayo and Kerry spending crazy money. Whats the word on the street Huggy?

I'm nearly sure Kerry had a foreign training camp pre championship this year and regularly stay in Fota Island the weekend before matches so I'd imagine they have a reasonably hefty spend as well.mThe theory about restricting spend of teams is correct but I don't know how you would police it.

That was their foreign training camp.

bunch of f*cking animals.

rrhf

I thoroughly enjoyed the game yesterday and was quite pleased with how much Kerry football has evolved in the last number of years capable of scrapping to the challenge that they face, the first time they have squeezed a tight game in a generation.  Great to see Cooper out there and Id say he would have been an asset in the tight game no matter what Joe Brolly might think. 
Neil Gallagher was immense and my man of the match and player of the year as well.  What a Herculean season he has had.
Bryan Sheehan with that first kick into the hill.  What a supreme temperament.
Michael Murphy was well below par yesterday but I never seen a player getting "off the ball" like it as he got in the first half,in an all Ireland final from two players all the time. 
I felt Donaghy was a joy to watch and really have little time for the constant slagging he gets on here.   Superb to watch and tough to play against.
Paul Durcan - the best keeper in Ireland two out of the last 3 seasons,  What a terrible injustice.. 
Finally what about the last O Se.  Great servant.  Is this the end of the modern era for the greatest of GAA dynasties. 
With a smile I finish.   Kerry have now rendered your own man Spillane as the ranting tit he always was. 

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Jinxy on September 22, 2014, 11:47:58 AM
I don't know why some northern posters are hopping up and down about Kerry cynicism.
They're no saints but let's be clear about this, they played the way they had to on the day.
That same team has been involved in two of the greatest games I've ever seen (last years and this years semi).
Donegal have one way of playing, which reduces 90% of the games they play to a mind-numbing game of schoolyard bulldog.
I've never held Kerry up as any type of shining example, I don't believe in sacred cows, but as indifferent as I was to the result yesterday, it was better for the game that Kerry won.
Kerry have always played this way - with clever cynicism.
I cant think of an all Ireland winner in the past 30 years that didn't have this cynicism.
but you have to be able to play football too- which Kerry can. Doesn't matter if you call it puke football or whatever. Its winning football.

Jinxy

Cynicism and 'puke' football or not the same thing though.
According to some people, Meath had plenty of cynical players on All-Ireland winning teams in the past, but that doesn't mean they played negative football.
Just to clarify, I don't mind lads 'getting to know each other' it's this safety in numbers, smother the opposition stuff I can't abide.
There's nothing wrong with a bit of cynicism and only a cynic would argue otherwise.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

JBM on the 21

Completely agree. When Keane kicked the ball away yesterday in the dying moments, all I could think of was the drawn hurling final last year and why Cork did not try to kill the game with a similar tactic, instead of White dropping it wide that lead to O'Donovan's equalizer. You don't win 37 All Irelands without a bit of a mean streak. Good luck to them.

WT4E

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 22, 2014, 03:12:37 PM
I think Young was the one Murphy jumped into. He went down, and by the time he got up he was in position to pick up the rebound.

I still don't think Murphy jumped into anyone - from what I remember they tried to drag him and he shrugged them off cause he's a horse!

Just because Young went to ground doesn't mean he was charged at just means that Murphy was physically too strong for the cynical fouling!

AQMP

I think it's all been said about this match but that's never stopped in the past.  Some random observations

Over the 73-odd mins Kerry were the better team and deserved to win...just.

For this neutral it was an awful, awful game of football and no amount of use of words like intriguing or absorbing can sugar coat that.  It was more than two systems cancelling each other out, the skill level was low, option taking and decision making poor, shooting was woeful.  It was exemplified by the first 15 mins of the 2nd half which was mind numbingly low quality football.  I'd say Cross v. Dromintee was better!

If this is the blueprint of how to win an All Ireland we may go on snooze for the next 5 years and I'm personally glad that in Antrim we deliberately boycott the later stages of the championship so as not to sully our good name as the last purveyors of non-puke football.

I actually agree with McGuinness' analysis of the match in that Donegal lost the game over the 70 mins and not as a result of Durcan's error.  In fairness to Durcan anyone who has played with bright sunlight in their eyes know that sometimes you look up and can see only silhouettes and my feeling is that Durcan either didn't see Donaghy or perhaps though it was a Donegal player.  One question i would have for JMG is why he started O'Connor when Toye was probably Donegal's best player on the day.

When are commentators and pundits going to wake up to the fact that Kerry have been playing a version of the blanket for at least 6 years, it's just they hadn't perfected it up until yesterday.

Was Buckley given a token black near the end or is the black card only for the league and early championship rounds??  In the first half I saw at least two clear black card offences that were missed/ignored by the ref.

What Keane did near the end should probably be a black card offence and it dismays somewhat me to see the "two wrongs make a right" defence trotted out by several posters.

AZOffaly

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: J OGorman on September 22, 2014, 12:18:10 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 22, 2014, 12:05:23 PM
Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on September 22, 2014, 11:57:11 AM
there is a risk that this years All-Ireland will be re-named the Joe Brolly Cup, in the same way that 2003 was the pat Spillane cup.

So the final yesterday wasn't a "great advert for the game" but where the f**k is the instruction manual which says that "EVERY FINAL MUST BE PLAYED TO A SUPERLATIVE LEVEL OF STYLE AND PANACHE"

I say f**k joe Brolly and his opinion about puke football in the same way i said f**k Pat Spillane and his opinion of Tyrone in 2003.

The All-Ireland is for winning - its not a beauty contest. We were spoiled by the highest standards of the semi finals which preceded yesterday, and it it is completely wrong to be-grudge Kerry as winners or castigate Donegal for losing.

It is what it is.

Zeitgeist. Its the spirit of now...its how football is played today.

Brolly was w**king on last night about "clubs up and down the country will be mimicking this style of football.."
Really?

Crossmaglen will change? as will Ballinderry...and of course Dr Crokes and Castlebar and St Vincents

Will they f**k....in the same way as the semifinals didnt make everyone want to play like Mayo, Dublin etc...

That is the beauty of our code - that there is a dogged determination to win, where the medal and cup means more than any money.

Fair play to Kerry...enjoy it...you deserve it. Commiserations Donegal...roll on 2015.
Tyrone Abu

Club teams don't have to mimic it- they are long doing it.

Kerry crowed long enough about puke football. Brolly is quite right in saying that the irony this morning really is quite something

Kerry popped their cherry and entered the dark side yesterday

There is no going back for them

you Dubs needy put away the crystal balls. Kerry lifted Sam in a championship year that included the unbeatable Dubs. You got it all wrong against Donegal were as Kerry got it spot on. Kerry, best team in the country this year. Plenty of emerging talent with the experience of winning and the Gooch to come back. Could be there or there abouts next year. Have the weaponry and skill set to beat any system by the looks of it. Id say Gavin will have learnt more watching that game than any game Dublin were involved in this year

Kerry wouldnt have won that final without Donaghy or in fact would not have beat Mayo without said man, himself, and O Mahony will retire this year.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 22, 2014, 03:49:07 PM
He looks like a fecking bould child.

The thing is, anyone who was in Limerick would have seen this before.

When Freeman came on at halftime for Cillian, he put a ball down to practise a free off the ground. The Kerry team were coming back out and Marc O'Sé (I think) took a detour to boot the ball away so Freeman couldn't hit it. Once looks spontaneous but twice looks tactical.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

It's definitely tactical. It's the same school as the 'foul quickly on a turnover'.

supersub

Anywhere to watch highlights online? Few things I want to see again namely Donaghy's goal.