All Ireland Gaelic Football Final 2014 Kerry v Donegal

Started by rrhf, August 31, 2014, 10:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Syferus on September 18, 2014, 08:47:29 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on September 18, 2014, 08:41:21 PM
Slightly off topic here but if Mark McHugh was available this year would he be accommodated into the team alongside Ryan or would it be a case of one or the other?

Both fit and playing well there's absolutely no way both wouldn't be starting.

If Mark had stayed then then he would have remained the first choice with Ryan on the bench.

Funny the way things turn out!!
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: ONeill on September 18, 2014, 10:12:00 PM

I'd like to see Kerry open up a 5-7 point gap early on to see how composed Donegal can stay. Just for something different.

That's exactly what happened in the semi final & Donegal's composure remained intact. I don't think Kerry are set up to go all guns blazing  so the only way they will open up a lead like that will be to score early goals as Donegal did in 2012.

Hard to see it.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 18, 2014, 10:19:37 PM
Apparently Gooch could get a cameo

If Gooch gets a "cameo" then it will have been a bad day at the office for Donegal.

All Ireland finals are no place for half fit players & Fitzmaurice doesn't strike me as the sentimental type.

Gooch might run about in the warm up to get the Kerry crowd going a bit, but that will be it.

AZOffaly

If Kerry did open up that sort of a lead via a goal or something, they would not be caught attacking the way Dublin were. Kerry would be happy to shut up shop and try draw Donegal out themselves. This is something I think they've prepared for. If Donegal get up early, I think Kerry will panic.

rodney trotter

Quote from: BluestackBoy on September 18, 2014, 10:28:52 PM
Slightly off topic here but if Mark McHugh was available this year would he be accommodated into the team alongside Ryan or would it be a case of one or the other?

If Mark had stayed then then he would have remained the first choice with Ryan on the bench.

Mark McHugh was fit enough to come in the League final against Monaghan, why didn't he start ahead of Ryan that day?  Ryan McHugh was one of Donegal's better players that day and doubtful he would have been dropped with the Derry match only a few weeks after that in the preliminary round.

ONeill

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 18, 2014, 10:36:45 PM
If Kerry did open up that sort of a lead via a goal or something, they would not be caught attacking the way Dublin were. Kerry would be happy to shut up shop and try draw Donegal out themselves. This is something I think they've prepared for. If Donegal get up early, I think Kerry will panic.

Yes - that's the thinking. If O'D nets two early on, Kerry will defend that lead like Italy, drawing Donegal out of their comfort zone.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 18, 2014, 10:39:22 PM

Mark McHugh was fit enough to come in the League final against Monaghan, why didn't he start ahead of Ryan that day?  Ryan McHugh was one of Donegal's better players that day and doubtful he would have been dropped with the Derry match only a few weeks after that in the preliminary round.

The writing was on the wall for Mark at that stage, he wasn't enjoying his football & consequently wasn't playing well for either club or county.
If he had maintained his 2012 form then he would have kept his place.

rodney trotter

Quote from: BluestackBoy on September 18, 2014, 10:55:56 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on September 18, 2014, 10:39:22 PM

The writing was on the wall for Mark at that stage, he wasn't enjoying his football & consequently wasn't playing well for either club or county.
If he had maintained his 2012 form then he would have kept his place.

Yeah had he been playing well, which he wasn't. Ryan McHugh was a regular in the Donegal team in the League , he probaly would have had a place in the team somewhere anyways?

Ryan McHugh has more ability than Mark McHugh , I don't think he has been that big a loss for Donegal.

rrhf

I fancy Kerry to pulverise Donegal in the first 20 minutes. For Kerry to win they need to get over 8 points ahead. I fancy them to start with Donaghy. Then put o sullivan in to run if plan a doesn't work and free up o donaghue when the donkey work is done to a shellshoxked Donegal. Expect Kerry to waste a man on mc Hugh

macdanger2

Quote from: BluestackBoy on September 18, 2014, 10:35:07 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on September 18, 2014, 10:19:37 PM
Apparently Gooch could get a cameo

If Gooch gets a "cameo" then it will have been a bad day at the office for Donegal.

All Ireland finals are no place for half fit players & Fitzmaurice doesn't strike me as the sentimental type.
The
Gooch might run about in the warm up to get the Kerry crowd going a bit, but that will be it.

I meant that he's apparently hoping to be fit enough for a cameo - as in a cameo to make a contribution rather than just get on the field.

Mike Sheehy

I am quite disgusted with this talk of Kerry shutting up shop if we get ahead.

We will trust our natural talent to get us through and , if not, then so be it. Sometimes it is not whether you won or lost it is how you played the game.

When the ball goes into J'OD in the first few minutes you lads will understand what I am talking about. It is that frisson of excitement. On your deathbed you will never remember the players that played not to lose.

rrhf

Ye simply don't have those players. A basketballer got ye this far.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: rrhf on September 18, 2014, 11:50:31 PM
Ye simply don't have those players. A basketballer got ye this far.

An £8 million "centre of excellence" will never be a replacement for natural talent. What happened all those minors ?

The youngsters of Donegal and Kerry are proof enough of your financial folly and arrogance.

Tradition can neither be bankrolled or bankrupted. Tyrone take note.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 18, 2014, 11:41:52 PM
\ On your deathbed you will never remember the players that played not to lose.

You will for sure if they won you you your 3rd All-Ireland.  Kerry folk can't remember that feeling.

rrhf

No songs for this all Ireland. Two serious managers. Getting close to weekend. Looking forward to a few pints in fagans on Sunday morning.