All Ireland Gaelic Football Final 2014 Kerry v Donegal

Started by rrhf, August 31, 2014, 10:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on September 09, 2014, 08:11:37 PM
Kerry record v Ulster teams since 2000 (championship)
Played 16
Won 9
Drawn 1
Lost 6

Wins over Armagh (twice) and Tyrone included. Just for clarity. Hardly indicatea any sort of hoodoo.
2002 & 2008 finals were the biggest losses obviously. Games that Kerry could have performed better in but didn't. 2005 Tyrone were clearly a better team IMO.

Interesting to see Donegal lads having another training camp. Team expenditure report at end of year will be interesting!

It is the proud (but humble) county of Kerry v the best of professional Ulster.

We'll do our best.

yellowcard

Played 16
Won 9
Drawn 1
Lost 6

Wins over Armagh (twice) and Tyrone included. Just for clarity. Hardly indicative of any sort of hoodoo?
2002 & 2008 finals were the biggest losses obviously. Games that Kerry could have performed better in but didn't. 2005 Tyrone were clearly a better team IMO.

Interesting to see Donegal lads having another training camp. Team expenditure report at end of year will be interesting!

When you consider that the Kerry team of the 00's was one of if not thee best team of the modern era, and practically all their knock out blows in that decade were inflicted by Ulster teams then it's a fair assumption that it was this style of football that caused Kerry most difficulty. To be fair to them it was Tyrone in particular who did seem to get under Kerry's skin the most and I think Jack O Connor said as much in his book. There was a certain inevitability about that 2008 final defeat due to the mental scars of previous defeats.

However I don't think any of this will have much bearing on this AI final as a lot of these Kerry players have little history in AI finals against Ulster teams.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: yellowcard on September 09, 2014, 09:03:51 PM
Played 16
Won 9
Drawn 1
Lost 6

Wins over Armagh (twice) and Tyrone included. Just for clarity. Hardly indicative of any sort of hoodoo?

When you consider that the Kerry team of the 00's was one of if not thee best team of the modern era, and practically all their knock out blows in that decade were inflicted by Ulster teams then it's a fair assumption that it was this style of football that caused Kerry most difficulty. To be fair to them it was Tyrone in particular who did seem to get under Kerry's skin the most and I think Jack O Connor said as much in his book. There was a certain inevitability about that 2008 final defeat due to the mental scars of previous defeats.

However I don't think any of this will have much bearing on this AI final as a lot of these Kerry players have little history in AI finals against Ulster teams.

If you are going to try and play mind games it is best to make your own mind up first.

So , Kerry at a mental advantage against Donegal yes or no ?

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 09, 2014, 08:30:52 PM
Played 16
Won 9
Drawn 1
Lost 6

Wins over Armagh (twice) and Tyrone included. Just for clarity. Hardly indicatea any sort of hoodoo.

We'll do our best.

I like your style Mike, don't take anyone else or yourself too seriously.
Taken in isolation the above makes for impressive reading and in fairness it is impressive. Even the most anti-Kerry person would have to admit that you give as good as you get against Ulster teams (over the last 20 years), I think that you would agree that the previous 20 years would have looked a bit different, 1 Ulster win over Kerry in 20 years ( Down in 1991) and the 20 before that would again be a similar story ( 2 Down victories over you)
As an Armaghman and an Ulster man I like to think that we are edging towards you. Slowly, slowly we are getting there. I wouldn't be so crass as to say equals but at least Ulster teams go out believing they can win against you, a sea change in my lifetime.
Kerry will always be Kerry ( there or thereabouts in terms of All Ireland's won in any era) but hopefully we can now look you in the eye maybe not as equals, but at least as serious rivals.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

blanketattack

The best (or worst) 20 year period to pick is the 70s and 80s:
1970:Kerry 0-23; Derry 0-10
1976:Kerry 5-14; Derry 1-10
1979:Kerry 5-14; Monaghan 0-7
1982: Kerry 3-15; Armagh 1-11
1985: Kerry 2-9; Monaghan 0-10 (replay)
1986:Kerry 2-15; Tyrone 1-10.

I've heard many an Ulsterman claim Kerry's great team of the 70s and 80s wouldn't have been half as successful if they were in the Ulster c'ship, however I feel the results proved otherwise.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on September 09, 2014, 10:00:25 PM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 09, 2014, 08:30:52 PM
Played 16
Won 9
Drawn 1
Lost 6

We'll do our best.

I like your style Mike, don't take anyone else or yourself too seriously.
Taken in isolation the above makes for impressive reading and in fairness it is impressive. Even the most anti-Kerry person would have to admit that you give as good as you get against Ulster teams (over the last 20 years), I think that you would agree that the previous 20 years would have looked a bit different, 1 Ulster win over Kerry in 20 years ( Down in 1991) and the 20 before that would again be a similar story ( 2 Down victories over you)
As an Armaghman and an Ulster man I like to think that we are edging towards you. Slowly, slowly we are getting there. I wouldn't be so crass as to say equals but at least Ulster teams go out believing they can win against you, a sea change in my lifetime.
Kerry will always be Kerry ( there or thereabouts in terms of All Ireland's won in any era) but hopefully we can now look you in the eye maybe not as equals, but at least as serious rivals.

If an Ulster team beating Kerry helps Ulster people look Kerry people in the eye, fair enough. It is a point of honour for us to be held in such regard by an entire province.

Syferus

For Kerry that's an absolutely shocking ratio of losses.

screenexile

Quote from: blanketattack on September 09, 2014, 10:21:04 PM
The best (or worst) 20 year period to pick is the 70s and 80s:
1970:Kerry 0-23; Derry 0-10
1976:Kerry 5-14; Derry 1-10
1979:Kerry 5-14; Monaghan 0-7
1982: Kerry 3-15; Armagh 1-11
1985: Kerry 2-9; Monaghan 0-10 (replay)
1986:Kerry 2-15; Tyrone 1-10.

I've heard many an Ulsterman claim Kerry's great team of the 70s and 80s wouldn't have been half as successful if they were in the Ulster c'ship, however I feel the results proved otherwise.

Not back then!

Ulster football was terrible back then as witnessed by the fact only 2 Ulster Teams contested an All Ireland Final between 1969 & 1990 and winning none of them. Beat out the gate both times actually!

blanketattack

I think it will be a draw. The GAA have all but admitted they bribe the players with €50,000 towards their holiday fund if they draw the All-Ireland final...
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/liam-o-neill-explains-three-week-gap-for-hurling-replay-1.1923206

larryin89

Dont like either county these days,probably down to jealousy  tbh.
Kerry will probably shade it , i think gooch will play a part.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

fearglasmor

Donegal fully deserved their win against Dublin.
But no way will Kerry indulge in the criminally insane non defending that Dublin did.
Donegal wont steamroll through the middle of Kerry defence like they did in the second half against Dublin.
Much tighter game than DonvDub.
Kerry by a nose.
Kerry for the Sam Maguire and for your Holidays.

seafoid

I think Kerry are a bit young this year.
Donegal to be too cute for them. 

J70

Quote from: fearglasmor on September 10, 2014, 01:55:37 PM
But no way will Kerry indulge in the criminally insane non defending that Dublin did.
Donegal wont steamroll through the middle of Kerry defence like they did in the second half against Dublin.
Kerry by a nose.

All true. Kerry probably won't get sucked in like Dublin were, leaving those gaps.

However,  Donegal are a hell of a lot more used to grinding it out in the suffocating blankets of Ulster football,  should Kerry go that route and keep their backs in position and pull forwards back.

Impossible to call.

screenexile

Quote from: J70 on September 10, 2014, 03:10:08 PM
Quote from: fearglasmor on September 10, 2014, 01:55:37 PM
Kerry by a nose.

All true. Kerry probably won't get sucked in like Dublin were, leaving those gaps.

However,  Donegal are a hell of a lot more used to grinding it out in the suffocating blankets of Ulster football,  should Kerry go that route and keep their backs in position and pull forwards back.

Impossible to call.

Ideally that's what Kerry need to do a la Armagh... I have a feeling this could be a complete stinker of a game!!!

If the game pans out like that it's 50/50!! I have visions of Donaghy rising for balls only to land surrounded by 4/5 men. Possibly something similar for Murphy!