Armagh v Cork NFL Division 1 round 1 Sunday 05-02-12

Started by Onion Bag, January 30, 2012, 10:49:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

I think the point about McKeever bc is that you didn't mention his contribution when he was probably our best player. It was great to see Andy Mallon looking sharp and confident again and fair play to big mal - who I have severly doubted in the past myself.

McVerry, anto, forker and caolan raff will only be better players for yesterday's experience, irrespective of the fact that the sending off created the front foot environment. As I've said before, I'm not sure apple's list of possibles from cross will prove to be accurate. I think only Morgan is a possible armagh starter.

armaghranger12

Great result for Armagh yesterday i was one of the many that doubted they have the capabilies to compete with the Cork team. However just because we achieved a result against one of the so-called big three teams dosnt make us world beaters.  I was impressed with Mc keever, Mallon, Mackin (when he moved out the field) Anto and Mc Very (in the second half.)  However i still think that without Stevie and Jamie we are going to struggle for scores from play.

armaghranger12

Quote from: DuffleKing on February 06, 2012, 12:26:58 PM

I think the point about McKeever bc is that you didn't mention his contribution when he was probably our best player. It was great to see Andy Mallon looking sharp and confident again and fair play to big mal - who I have severly doubted in the past myself.

McVerry, anto, forker and caolan raff will only be better players for yesterday's experience, irrespective of the fact that the sending off created the front foot environment. As I've said before, I'm not sure apple's list of possibles from cross will prove to be accurate. I think only Morgan is a possible armagh starter.

I disagree with that would Stephen Kernan not deserve a chance at center half forward? In midfield would you not rather see David Mc Kenna or Johnny Hanratty in there if Toner isnt available?

regal

Quote from: armaghranger12 on February 06, 2012, 01:53:10 PM

I disagree with that would Stephen Kernan not deserve a chance at center half forward? In midfield would you not rather see David Mc Kenna or Johnny Hanratty in there if Toner isnt available?

stephen kernan is now aged 28 / 29. His father and peter mcdonell give him ample opportunities between 2005 - 2009 to prove that he was good enough for county football. His da picked him for the mckenna cup at the same time he couldn't get into the crossmaglen team around 2007 / 2008. He gives me the impression he doesn't want to do the hard yards that are needed to be a successful county player. I certainly wouldn't be trying to build a forward line around him.

armaghranger12

Quote from: regal on February 06, 2012, 02:40:28 PM

stephen kernan is now aged 28 / 29. His father and peter mcdonell give him ample opportunities between 2005 - 2009 to prove that he was good enough for county football. His da picked him for the mckenna cup at the same time he couldn't get into the crossmaglen team around 2007 / 2008. He gives me the impression he doesn't want to do the hard yards that are needed to be a successful county player. I certainly wouldn't be trying to build a forward line around him.

Thats a fair point you make yea he is 29 and had a few chances but after watching the game yesterday i dont think that any of the starting half forwards would be the answer. Can you tell me who you would build your forward line around?
Brian Mallon, Micheal O'Rourke, Billy Joe Padden surly hes as good if not better then these guys?

naka

did i hear right that hearty is retiring?
for what its worth i would play stephen kernan and would also like to see murnin get a run out
i am hoping that we can get a decent full forward( the county guys i am chatting to arent holding much hope for ronan getting back) with stevie and Jamie either side. wonder what aaron cunningham would be like
full back line should see  jamesmorgan coming in , and hopefully we should see toner back in midfield altho to be fair he may have his detractors but Mal has been playing out of his skin for these past 14 months

onefaircounty

Quote from: armaghranger12 on February 06, 2012, 02:55:36 PM
Quote from: regal on February 06, 2012, 02:40:28 PM

Thats a fair point you make yea he is 29 and had a few chances but after watching the game yesterday i dont think that any of the starting half forwards would be the answer. Can you tell me who you would build your forward line around?
Brian Mallon, Micheal O'Rourke, Billy Joe Padden surly hes as good if not better then these guys?

To be fair O'Rourke and Padden had fine championships last year, I don't remember Kernan having a great year with Armagh? I could be wrong though, i certainly remember a few league games when he was excellent.

However, the point is, he looks a different player with Cross this last two years. I don't even know if he wants to play county, but his club form over the last two years means he deserves a chance anyway. Club is different from county, he may not take it. O'Rourke and Padden have had a good year at county, Kernan will have to play well when given his chance. He does look a much better player 2010-2011 than he did when he was younger.

If he can bring that, then it means more competition for players, bringing the standard up,  and whether it's Padden, O'Rourke, Kernan or AN Other wearing 11 against Tyrone, that can only be a good thing surely.

marym

Given the  fourteen men and all the injury problems , the feeling down South is that we are very happy with draw. The Subs performed very well and bar Sheeehan all the others will be back for the later stages of the League.

armaghniac

There is encouragement from this performance by Armagh, which seemed unlikely at half time. Armagh showed a bit of urgency in the second half, which has been lacking in a lot of performances in recent years.Andy Mallon showed why he was once regarded as an important player on the team, McKeever should watch his discipline, but he makes a priceless contribution. Kingham is a rough diamond, but he might benefit from polishing. Once again in recent years Armagh did not seem to have the coaching to bring players on. It was mentioned last year that Paul McGrane was helping out, advice from the likes of him and John Mc in his club could make Kingham a more measured player. Some of the younger forwards will benefit from the experience, as noted above. But we missed several handy frees and you need to get them if you are winning the frees.

Armagh has a tough campaign in Div 1, two teams have to be below us if we are to avoid the drop. Down have two points, Dublin or Donegal will pick up points later, including against us. Still a very hard road. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

regal

armaghranger, I would agree that SK offers more than MOR or BJP. However, I would prefer others to be given gametime to see if we can develop a more effective forward line. Perhaps:

10 - AForker
11 - Cunningham
12 - ADuffy
13 - JClarke
14 - McDonnell
15 - McParland

I like Dyas, but it is frustrating that he cant nail down a position. Caolan Rafferty and Stefan Campbell look very promising. Others maybe - Grugan / BMallon / RRafferty / MORourke / McVerry. Those who I would suggest are further down the list - TKernan / Padden.

How do you rate Cunningham?

lawnseed

firstly the athletic grounds look great on TV so maybe a few more supporters could make the effort to go to the games. i enjoyed this game although the 'possession' game isn't easy to watch. the handbags ::) not worth talking about. for me it was mckeever,mal,andy, gene and also b.mallon when he came on. you could see that they had got a doin at half time for they were rearing to go in the second half and its not easy pinning this cork team back into their own half in any game. mals attacking play revealed the weakness in this cork team in that they would rather foul and give away frees than let an attacker shoot. i was a little disappointed that armagh didnt run at them a bit more. as for big kingham he can have a role to play on this team whether its in mid-field or up front, his sheer size makes him a useful asset but he needs coached into a role/system. kerry next and mckeever v galvin.. almost worth the drive down and back 

ps. after the game canty and mckeever made straight for each other to shake hands and embrace no doubt because of their involvement in the international rules. so inspite of their critics these games do have some value.
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Harold Disgracey

I see both counties have been fined €5000 by the CCCC and McKeever and Mackin both received one match suspensions over the first half melee. I wonder has the ref received any sanctions as it was undoubtedly his inconsistency that caused the row.

AZOffaly

Can Kerry object? If McKeever didn't play against Kerry, poor old Tomás wouldn't have accidentally rubbed his knee off McKeever's thigh, and wouldn't have been sent off!!  ;)

Harold Disgracey

From RTE:

Cork and Armagh have responded to the CCCC's decision to suspend a quartet of players and fine both county boards €5,000 following the mass brawl at the the Athletic Grounds a fortnight ago.

Cork's Michael Shields faces a two-match ban and his team-mate Pearse O'Neill has been banned for one match.

Armagh duo Malachy Mackin and Ciaran McKeever have both been handed one-match bans.

Cork will discuss the bans and fine between the panel before deciding whether to appeal the decision, while a county official for Armagh told the Irish Examiner that he would be "very surprised" if his county didn't appeal. That same official was also surprised the CCCC took so long to deliver their decision.

Cork selector Ger O'Sullivan has expressed surprise at the CCCC's decision. He told the Irish Examiner: "Okay, maybe they want to stamp out this pushing and shoving but I have seen it on DVD and I would be very surprised if anything came of it.

"There are more serious incidents that need investigation and should probably take up more time than something like this.

"Okay, it doesn't look good, I admit that, but unless I missed something it was two guys just wrestling and the rest of them came in to pull them off. If that is a crime and merits an investigation then that is very strange."

Monaghan and Kildare were also fined €5,000 on Wednesday for the clashes at Clones on Sunday last; that fracas carried over into the stands and tunnel.

Lilywhite selector Niall Carew has been handed a four-week suspension after being sent from the line while defender Brian Flanagan was banned for one game after receiving a red card.

GAA president Christy Cooney told the Irish Examiner that the deduction of league points may be considered as a suitable ban for similar scuffles in the future.

"I think that might come," he told the newspaper. "If the deterrent that is put in place now by the CCCC doesn't get the required response from counties, maybe the CCCC will have to look at it in another way, certainly.

"What that is I don't know. I haven't thought about it but it will certainly have to be looked at because what happened in Cork and Armagh and between Monaghan and Kildare is unacceptable and it cannot continue."

Goats Do Shave

Cork's Michael Shields faces a two-match ban and his team-mate Pearse O'Neill has been banned for one match.

IMO the referee in that match created the atmosphere for something like that to happen. As far as I remember, Mackin was taken out of it... (& didn't get a free) which started barging match.

I reckon appeals will be made - they'll do well to find a punch thrown. - Pulling & shoving match.