Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Red

Tyrone club's notoriously bad in Ulster at SFC level for whatever reason and I don't think that will change this year.. I suspect it'll be between Kilcoo/Burren and the Derry/Donegal winners for Ulster

general

Quote from: upandwin on October 12, 2021, 11:16:29 AM
Quote from: upandwin on September 28, 2021, 09:16:58 AM
Some draw last night...who in the world could have foreseen that we'd get drawn with Clonduff? That'll be the end of the road for our lads surely...in fairness we are miles off Burren and Kilcoo so it makes no odds whether we play Clonduff now or a better team later as there's a big gulf. Streamed the Burren game last night and I fancy them to win the whole thing. Two easy fixtures has given them a chance to give lots of lads plenty of football and not have to risk any injured players like Fegan and Toner. Liam Kerr and Danny Magill are different gravy. Kilcoo will be worried about Burren IMO...The rest of the teams in the county are a side act...County board will surely keep Kilcoo and Burren apart in the semi finals hoping for a showpiece event.

Not much excitement other than our game this wkend. Should be a good crowd there on Sunday night. Fancy Mayobridge to do enough against Bredagh, they'll win by 2/3 pulling up. Castlewellan will fancy their chances against Glenn but that game will be close and I think Glenn will edge it. Carryduff and Longstone will be tight as well but I think Carryduff will see it through.

Clonduff won't beat Burren...Burren will win the full thing. Clonduff will bottle it this wkend against the first decent team they've faced. Kilcoo could get caught on the hop by the Harps...that'll be closer than people think

Ballyholland arent gona come within 6 points of kilcoo next weekend - absolute gulf in quality. Ballyholland very poor last night - couldnt believe how poor they were - expected alot better

Centre 3/4

Nowhere close. Glenn very unlucky to lose the two Millars early on or could've been a different story. Credit to the harps in another semi final but they aren't at the same level to trouble the others

outinfront

Quote from: Truth hurts on October 12, 2021, 09:04:49 AM
Clonduff looked good on Sunday and I expect them to beat Burren. Burren looked good on Sunday in the first half but Mayobridge will be kicking themselves with some wayward shooting. I think Clonduff forwards will be a lot more clinical and a Kilcoo v Clonduff final will certainly be a tasty affair.
Darragh should now win the intermediate after Liatriom being ousted. Liatroim were riddled with injuries and if they are going to improve in football they will need to choose hurling or football. It's not doing the players any good.
The Fin are strong favourites for the junior and I expect the 3 championships to come to the East in the next few weeks.

How much hurling do Liatroim play?  I mean in terms of fixtures outisde of training?  Not being funny, genuine question.

Truth hurts

Is there any word on the county senior job?

upandwin

Think Paul Chuckle was approached at the weekend and turned it down, doesn't want to get back in to the county spotlight since his brother Barry passed away.

That leaves Tony the Tiger, Jedward, Poacher/Deegan or Dustin the Turkey favourites for the post. Only problem is none of them played on the 90s teams with exception of Deego.

The fact that it is semi-final stages in SFC and no manager appointed is an absolute farce...now that everyone in the country has known for over 6weeks that there has been a vacancy and we haven't got anyone in place that anyone worth their salt who is approached now will turn it down as they'll think they were an afterthought.

At this rate we'll be lucky to have anyone who has been involved with a county team previously so will have to roll the rice on a relatively unknown quantity and hope for the best...Niall McAleenan, Jody Gormley or DJ from Carryduff could end up in the hot seat the way things are going...sad state of affairs

lfdown2

Quote from: Truth hurts on October 12, 2021, 09:04:49 AM
Clonduff looked good on Sunday and I expect them to beat Burren. Burren looked good on Sunday in the first half but Mayobridge will be kicking themselves with some wayward shooting. I think Clonduff forwards will be a lot more clinical and a Kilcoo v Clonduff final will certainly be a tasty affair.
Darragh should now win the intermediate after Liatriom being ousted. Liatroim were riddled with injuries and if they are going to improve in football they will need to choose hurling or football. It's not doing the players any good.
The Fin are strong favourites for the junior and I expect the 3 championships to come to the East in the next few weeks.

No merit in that, none of those you're referencing had anything to do with hurling.

Drumgath were a very well organised outfit and full value for their win.

Smurfy123

The Down job has been vacant for over 3 months
Has the be the longest dragged out process for a long time
Men turned them down and then went looking for others who obviously knew they were down the list and said no
The men who now want it seem to be the only candidates but the selection committee are scrambling about for the big name to save face

Still think it will be one from
Laverty
Deegans

SamFever

Quote from: Smurfy123 on October 13, 2021, 12:05:59 PM
The Down job has been vacant for over 3 months
Has the be the longest dragged out process for a long time
Men turned them down and then went looking for others who obviously knew they were down the list and said no
The men who now want it seem to be the only candidates but the selection committee are scrambling about for the big name to save face

Still think it will be one from
Laverty
Deegans
Please God No to either of them.

Truth hurts

It seems  that Laverty will be announced after the club championship ends? It would be an exciting set up. Let him at it.

knockitdown

I can't see how Laverty could be appointed as long as he's still playing club football. I know he did this with the u-20s but it's not the same

Truth hurts

Quote from: knockitdown on October 13, 2021, 01:12:39 PM
I can't see how Laverty could be appointed as long as he's still playing club football. I know he did this with the u-20s but it's not the same

I would imagine this will be his final season, the u20s were an exciting team who really gave the county a lift.

snoopdog

I would hope Laverty and his management team would be kept with the U20s for another couple of years. They did so well this year it would only benefit the seniors further down the line. If Laverty gets the job it needs to be like McGeeney in Armagh. Given time to work with Players and get back to being a div 1 team.
Down need to be realistic. 

Square Ball

Honest question here and I don't know the answer. Do people really think Down have the players to get to division 1 and complete with the big boys.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Nanderson

Quote from: Square Ball on October 13, 2021, 07:08:44 PM
Honest question here and I don't know the answer. Do people really think Down have the players to get to division 1 and complete with the big boys.
No. Could be a top division 2 team and maybe dip our feet in div 1 the odd time. The new crop of u20 fills us with a bit of hope but it can be hard to integrate them into a senior set up without upsetting the balance of the squad plus you are only as strong as the new group of players coming behind you. Dublin especially benefitted from about 5 years of real strong u21 teams coming through the ranks and i can't see Down having that many strong squads come through in succession considering our last great u21 team was 2008-2009