The official GAABOARD Poker thread.

Started by Puckoon, November 20, 2007, 04:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Im not sure how to describe my playing style - I change gears as often as I can, especially when I think someone has figured me out a little. Gus hansen doesnt put too much consideration into what his opponents might have - hes almost asian in that respect. He just believes his cards are going to come and save him. That said, I have no problem with playing alot of junk cards. I play almost anything for the right price, except terrible hands like 8-2, Q-6, and so on. Little connected cards are my bread and butter. Sometimes when you are card dead you got to stick on the tool belt and build yourself a hand. I fyou know someone is raising with AK, or AQ, and you look down at 4,5 - you know you are good if you hit a card and they draw a blank. Alot of players fold cards because they think they are the underdog. Ill only fold If I can put someone on a pocket pair preflop, or if they spike a pair on the flop.
When Im short stacked, Im aggressive. When Im deep stacked Im aggressive. It depends on the table. Im loose at a tight table and tight at a loose table. Im tighter in cash games than tournaments. Most of the players around here who know me, would rather play me in a cash game than at a tournament. Im probably a better tournament player than cash player as Im 100% invested in a tournament with my buy in, I know I cant lose more than I have used to buy into the tournament. At a cash table sometimes its hard to walk away after losing a couple of racks.

Anyways, 15th out of 130 in the qualifying was good, but didnt quite make the cut for this evenings big money final. Gutted. Just ran out of chips in the end when the blinds hit 2 and 4 thousand, with a 100 dollar ante. I only had 3500 in the big blind, and my hand didnt hold up.

I hit the no limit game after that though, and pocketed 800$. So now Im home, happy, and scared to take a nap because Ill be playing cards in my sleep.

Puckoon

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/12/06/db0603.xml

Chip Reese, possibly the greatest poker player the world has ever seen passed away last night aged 56.

Puckoon

Quote from: Puckoon on November 30, 2007, 02:47:08 PM
Managed to play my way into Harrahs freeroll  satellite tournament for the world series of poker tournament today. Two sessions, 9am until 1pm, then 6pm until the last man standing. Total prize pool of 20,000$ up for grabs - first place a seat at the 2008 world series main event (or 10,000$) Should only have to survive around 100 other players, to make the final table and hopefully some money.

Question - would you take the money, or the seat at the 2008 main event if you were lucky enough to win it all....?

With baby puck on the way, and militant Mrs Puck, my mind is already made up.... :-\

Sunday Brings another shot at a seat in the world series of poker main event 2008. Or 10,000$. Now, if I can just beat 300 others, ill be a happy man. :-\

Surreal Steve

lads answer me this. been playing a bit online there recently. was down to the last 8 of a 300£ buyin, 4-500 entrants. top 5 very top heavy with payouts. i was 2nd in chips. two short stacks all in ahead of me, i was big blind. the chip leader then went allin in the sb.

i had 6 2 of spades. i was unsure of what to do as was getting a great price, so ended up calling as well.

jammy bastard had aces, the other two shorts had sfa lol. so ended up goin out in 6th, got like just over double my money back.

do uns think i should have folded or what then? i cudnt fold cos all nite i had been calling with suited cards and knocking people out. 3 times i beat aces, pity about the last time ha

after that bit of success going to start playing online. i seem to have taken to it like a duck to water

Yes I Would

chip leader all in and sittin with 6 2 suited. I would have let him have it, and bided my time.

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: Surreal Steve on April 24, 2008, 11:38:33 PM
lads answer me this. been playing a bit online there recently. was down to the last 8 of a 300£ buyin, 4-500 entrants. top 5 very top heavy with payouts. i was 2nd in chips. two short stacks all in ahead of me, i was big blind. the chip leader then went allin in the sb.

i had 6 2 of spades. i was unsure of what to do as was getting a great price, so ended up calling as well.

jammy bastard had aces, the other two shorts had sfa lol. so ended up goin out in 6th, got like just over double my money back.

do uns think i should have folded or what then? i cudnt fold cos all nite i had been calling with suited cards and knocking people out. 3 times i beat aces, pity about the last time ha

after that bit of success going to start playing online. i seem to have taken to it like a duck to water

I would have folded. If the chip leader bowed out its worth a shot to take out the little stacks but to put your tourny on a horrible hand -not smart.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

gerry

6 2 suited not a great hand, even if you had flopped a flush your flush was a only six high.

were you getting bored or greedy?
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Puckoon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Surreal Steve on April 24, 2008, 11:35:36 PM

Steve, in all honesty that was a terrible play.
As was every time you'd beaten aces earlier in the tournament. Every now and then, depending on pot odds and the size of a raise maybe its acceptable to play like that, but in the long run when your luck runs out - you'll eventually lose all those hands (like you are quite rightly supposed to)

Anyways, what the hell you were thinking playing all your chips in A FOUR HANDED POT, is beyond me. You were in the big blind, and so you had the option to fold. Remember - folding is more skillfull than calling or moving all in. The likelihood of winning a 4 handed pot, even for the player with aces - is very poor. The more people play the pot, the decrease in potential winning value of all the hands - there are simply too many permutations. I would say when all the cards were turned up - your 6,2 had to be in last place. Last place is not a good place to put all your money in on a final table. At a final table you want to let the other bone heads knock each other out, until you are safe in the money. Then you can loosen up your play a little bit.

Ill tell you something, which you may not believe. In your situation Id have folded every hand - except aces. Id have folded pocket Kings, queens, and Ace King. Its a hard fold - but it becomes easier when you realise the bigger picture. That is, 3 people are already in this pot - realistically my chances of beating them are very slim, and If the chip leader knocks the two short stacks out - Im two places closer to the money. If I call and he knocks me out - im fucked. Therefore Ill wait and pick a better pot. Ive had times where Ive folded kings up against Ace king and aces in the one hand - and Id have flopped a King for a set. Still however, why put my money in in second place - in a situation where I dont have to - especially if im one of the chip leaders???

By the way, for an ordinary raise that doesnt constitute your entire chip stack, you are very correct about getting the right price to call. But for all your chips - forget about it. Youll be the sucker at the table if you continue to play like that. Unless you are the luckiest man in ireland.

Good luck with it.

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

supersarsfields

Yeah saw it during the week. Not bad tho it was pretty predictable.

Playing some party poker here now lads if anyone fancys a game?

carnaross

Heard a looooooong story some years about a game in Queen's University in Belfast in the mid-sixties. Apparently, at that time QU was a hotbed for poker, probably amongst the toughest schools in the UK! I was told that they played each time for their whole grants.

There was one evening when a 7-man game was going on - the deal going round the table in turn. One lad was suspected of cheating, a break was called and it was realised by all at the table that it was going on. When they resumed they waited a while and when they challenged him, they decided to take a vote. They were deciding between ruining his reputation at QU (which would have meant at that time that he would never get to play again in Ireland or Britain), or cut his fingers off at the knuckle!! My informant tells me the vote was tied at 3-3 and the lad hasn't played a hand since. Also, my informant wouldn't tell me what way he voted, as he felt, I wouldn't have believed him. I'm assured though, the story is absolutely true.
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

Surreal Steve

Quote from: carnaross on April 25, 2008, 04:03:17 PM
Heard a looooooong story some years about a game in Queen's University in Belfast in the mid-sixties. Apparently, at that time QU was a hotbed for poker, probably amongst the toughest schools in the UK! I was told that they played each time for their whole grants.

There was one evening when a 7-man game was going on - the deal going round the table in turn. One lad was suspected of cheating, a break was called and it was realised by all at the table that it was going on. When they resumed they waited a while and when they challenged him, they decided to take a vote. They were deciding between ruining his reputation at QU (which would have meant at that time that he would never get to play again in Ireland or Britain), or cut his fingers off at the knuckle!! My informant tells me the vote was tied at 3-3 and the lad hasn't played a hand since. Also, my informant wouldn't tell me what way he voted, as he felt, I wouldn't have believed him. I'm assured though, the story is absolutely true.

Shocking carryon there. What do you mean he never played again, because he couldnt hold ards with no fingers or because he was barred/rep preceded him.

Yeah puck sounds like you know your stuff old hand. Looking at it again maybe I should ahve folded. I seen all those chips though and it was hard to lay down any hand in the circumstance I felt. Hopefully will  learn from myerrors. What about a gaaboard game of poker online somewhere.

Puckoon

Nevada state poker championships this week.

Headed out at noon to the 200$ buy in deep stack tournament. Hope my luck from this weekend holds up - what a cash story this is.

Friday night....

Im on the button. 4,5 of spades in the pocket.

Entire table calls the 5$ blind in the no limit cash game. Im getting 9-1 on a playable hand with my 5$ so I call.

The big blind doesnt check his option however, he raises the betting to 20$. The ENTIRE table calls around to me on the button. Now Im getting 9-1 on 20$ for 15$ more bucks - plus I have position on the table. No brainer for 15$ so I call.

The flop hits the deck and I have to really work at keeping the pulse down, as it comes 4,4,4. Im in conversation with the dealer, the cocktail waitress and just generally trying to keep myself from looking like I have just flopped the nuts. Theres 200$ in the pot - maybe If im lucky and wait uintil the turn or the river, some one will pair up and Ill get paid off.

What happens next is just f**king unbelievable.

The big blind (obviously holding a high pair) bets out 50$. Im thinking money!!!!

The next player raises him to 100$ - and he is immediately called by the two players to his left!!!! The action hasnt gotten around to me with my four 4s AND ALREADY THERE IS 550$ IN THE POT!

Ive got 500$ in chips in front of me so Im in good shape anyways, but this is a real bonus. Finally the action gets to me and I smooth call. The big blind realises someone has his high pair beaten and he folds.

The turn comes a 3 of diamonds. No one bets. The actoin comes to me, and I figure Ill let it ride incase someone hits again on the river. River comes a blank - everyone checks around to me. Im wondering how much to bet. Do I move all in? Nah - no one will call.

How about 100$ into a 550$ pot - surely someone will keep me honest.

YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT - TWO OF THEM WANTED TO PAY TO SEE MY CASE FOUR!

750$ pot.  Gifts like that dont come along that often, but when they do - its a great game.

Rav67

Was that limit or NL? Either way, bet that turn 100% of the time, even when checked to you. Its a fourway pot like. Bet more on the river too, noone is folding their boats.

supersarsfields

Quote from: Surreal Steve on April 25, 2008, 06:08:57 PM
Quote from: carnaross on April 25, 2008, 04:03:17 PM

Shocking carryon there. What do you mean he never played again, because he couldnt hold ards with no fingers or because he was barred/rep preceded him.

Yeah puck sounds like you know your stuff old hand. Looking at it again maybe I should ahve folded. I seen all those chips though and it was hard to lay down any hand in the circumstance I felt. Hopefully will  learn from myerrors. What about a gaaboard game of poker online somewhere.

I had voiced this idea a while back. It would be easy enough to organise. I'm on Party poker, Paddy power and pkr.com. Have to say I find party power the most enjoyable by a mile.
Would be easy enough to get a game going?

We could just arrange a time and open a table.

Any takers?