Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

There aren't 1.3m people in Kerry.
The Central GAA didn't and don't pour loads of money into Kerry.
Kerry don't play all their serious Championship games in Killarney.
No taxpayer provided "National" training centre in Kerry.
Took Kerry 11 years to recover from all them lads retiring, Dublin have 9 or 10 new players in over the last few years and won U21 again this year.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

five points

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 18, 2017, 10:37:43 AM
When Kerry were beating all before them in the 70s and 80s there was no national hysteria about the imminent demise of the game.

Bit unfair to class it as hysteria more than 35 years on, but Kerry's dominance in that era did spark a lot of concern about the state of the game at that point, and its future. Much of that concern was justified. Gaelic football circa 1985 was in a dire state.

armaghniac

When Kerry were beating all before them in the 70s and 80s there was no national hysteria about the imminent demise of the game. Back then it was simply a case of the "aristocrats" taking their rightful place at the top of the heap. God was in his heaven and all was right with the world.

There were no calls for something to be done when Kerry took their 37th All Ireland senior title in 2014 (their sixth since 2000). God was still in his heaven and all was still right with the world.

Did no one notice that Kerry won their fourth minor title on the trot yesterday? Perhaps it won't be long before all is right with the world again and the begrudgers can sleep easy.

Are you CiarĂ¡n Whelan, he was coming out with this nonsense last night?
If Kerry win then fair play to them, they just make better use of their resources. Anyone using Kerry as a defence of Dublin has no credibility whatsoever.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

The dislike of Dublin is now outdated.I was once a member of this group.But lets face it the present group is laced with humility,the Dubs fans are now good humoured,and they took their defeats to the likes of Down,Donegal,Armagh,Tyrone etc over the last 25 years with good grace.
I am an admirer of the Dubs now and salute this great team.

ashman

When Kerry were beating all before them in the 70s and 80s there was no national hysteria about the imminent demise of the game. Back then it was simply a case of the "aristocrats" taking their rightful place at the top of the heap. God was in his heaven and all was right with the world.

There were no calls for something to be done when Kerry took their 37th All Ireland senior title in 2014 (their sixth since 2000). God was still in his heaven and all was still right with the world.

Did no one notice that Kerry won their fourth minor title on the trot yesterday? Perhaps it won't be long before all is right with the world again and the begrudgers can sleep easy.

There was of course much complaints in the 1970s and 1980s about Kerry dominating .  It was seen as bad for the game .  The Dublin domination now must be looked at in the context of GAA and government funding and the social factors in modern Ireland .

The bottom line is that today was a high water mark for football .  The Mayo team I think will receed a bit over the coming years and Dublin could well improve .

The problem was that the GAA didn't want a strong Dublin , worse still they NEEDED it .

6th sam

Quote from: T Fearon on September 18, 2017, 10:50:56 AM
The dislike of Dublin is now outdated.I was once a member of this group.But lets face it the present group is laced with humility,the Dubs fans are now good humoured,and they took their defeats to the likes of Down,Donegal,Armagh,Tyrone etc over the last 25 years with good grace.
I am an admirer of the Dubs now and salute this great team.
Fair play to the Dubs for channelling their hefty resources and producing a squad laced with several talented role models with great attitude e.g. Mccafferty, Mcmenamin, Fenton .....etc etc. Like any team they also seem to have their villains.
I cheered this group's first all-ireland in 2011, but genuinely fear that their undoubted advantages could destroy our association if they are not addressed. The inequities in the GAA around financial back up, resources, provincial structures, media influence , have been ignored for years but we now have a new generation of GAA followers who are no longer blinded by county and GAA loyalty , and are no longer prepared to accept these injustices and lack of parity.

ashman

This isn't about disliking anyone .  The current Dublin team are in the main a decent group ,  their supporters are grand in the main .  The issue is the future of inter county football as a competitive entity .

RadioGAAGAA

There are two sides to this, and it needs to be considered very carefully.

Side 1: Dublin get a lot more money than the rest, they have the bulk of the population, within a short distance of each other, own training centre, play in Croke all the time etc etc.

Side 2: The GAA does great work in keeping youngsters occupied in something positive rather than getting up to no good in the capital.

I would worry that any attempt to realign side 1 to redress the balance in inter-county football would come at a significant cost to side 2.

I suppose, as an easy first step, the Dubs should have to play outside of Croke more often. Compared to the cost of the alternatives, a smaller gate is no big deal.

Beyond that, can monies currently directed to the Dublin county be reduced without affecting underage involvement? I dunno. It'd probably require a degree of both altruism and transparency that doesn't typically fit well in the GAA. Yeah, we can be transparent - when it suits us... and we can be altruistic... when it suits us. Not when one runs contrary to the other.
i usse an speelchekor

6th sam

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on September 18, 2017, 11:53:38 AM
There are two sides to this, and it needs to be considered very carefully.

Side 1: Dublin get a lot more money than the rest, they have the bulk of the population, within a short distance of each other, own training centre, play in Croke all the time etc etc.

Side 2: The GAA does great work in keeping youngsters occupied in something positive rather than getting up to no good in the capital.

I would worry that any attempt to realign side 1 to redress the balance in inter-county football would come at a significant cost to side 2.

I suppose, as an easy first step, the Dubs should have to play outside of Croke more often. Compared to the cost of the alternatives, a smaller gate is no big deal.

Beyond that, can monies currently directed to the Dublin county be reduced without affecting underage involvement? I dunno. It'd probably require a degree of both altruism and transparency that doesn't typically fit well in the GAA. Yeah, we can be transparent - when it suits us... and we can be altruistic... when it suits us. Not when one runs contrary to the other.
Agree, if it's not broken , don't fix it. Dublin's resources and success has hopefully seen an improvement in meaningful participation. So it's an urban model that works, and should be a template for other urban areas. I would be reluctant to reduce Dublins resources for underage etc, not least because of the meaningful employment it provides, which in my view is an important responsibility of any multimillion pound organisation . I just feel that the GAA needs to look at a model of ensuring those resources are equally available to others. I am a member of a rural club. If the GAA was able to fund DevelopmentOfficers for all large urban clubs and for clusters of rural clubs , then that would be a brilliant  development. Reorganising the Intercounty fixtures to create More revenue may help part finance such initiatives across the country . Such development officers could partly self-fund their roles by improving club governance , streamlining and fundraising.
Regarding Intercounty teams splitting Dublin must also be looked at, and rather than undermine current progress , it may actually enhance participation and development in the city . Imagine the excitement of a Leinster final between ballymun/finglas and Dunlaoghaire/rathdown😜

DUBSFORSAM1

If Dublin weren`t about now then would people be saying Mayo have it too easy and the GAA needs to change to stop them winning?

6th sam

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on September 18, 2017, 12:31:34 PM
If Dublin weren`t about now then would people be saying Mayo have it too easy and the GAA needs to change to stop them winning?

As stated before , most of Dublin GAA is to be admired as they actually have developed GAA in the capital and have utilised their considerable resource and practical advantage , under the current system , brilliantly.

Very much like Kerry , Cork , Mayo , and Kilkenny in hurling , they have utilised well the advantages the current system gives them , and fair play to them! Dublin are not the problem here, inequality is the problem!
The GAA needs to take a look at its current fixture programme and Intercounty financial expenditure and legislate accordingly.

Rossfan

Galway bet them in Connacht, extra time needed v Cork and Derry, Ros and Kerry held them to a draw.
So no people wouldn't.
Anyway there are about 6 or 8 Counties with bigger football populations than Mayowestros so they would go back to the pack.
Meanwhile the 1.3 million can't be just ignored.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Esmarelda

Quote from: 6th sam on September 18, 2017, 12:42:09 PM

As stated before , most of Dublin GAA is to be admired as they actually have developed GAA in the capital and have utilised their considerable resource and practical advantage , under the current system , brilliantly.

Very much like Kerry , Cork , Mayo , and Kilkenny in hurling , they have utilised well the advantages the current system gives them , and fair play to them! Dublin are not the problem here, inequality is the problem!
The GAA needs to take a look at its current fixture programme and Intercounty financial expenditure and legislate accordingly.
You've twice mentioned the bit in bold above. Could you explain what you're getting at?

T Fearon

Dublin winning four recent All Ireland titles by the minimum margin doesn't strike me as an enormous gap fuelled by money.

JoG2

Quote from: Rossfan on September 18, 2017, 12:47:55 PM
Galway bet them in Connacht, extra time needed v Cork and Derry, Ros and Kerry held them to a draw.
So no people wouldn't.
Anyway there are about 6 or 8 Counties with bigger football populations than Mayowestros so they would go back to the pack.
Meanwhile the 1.3 million can't be just ignored.

do you Ross men ever come up for air? Youse are all bonkers