Quote from: Angelo on September 19, 2020, 04:07:18 PM
Quote from: Main Street on September 19, 2020, 03:57:31 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 18, 2020, 04:27:35 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 17, 2020, 08:51:23 PM
Fine article by Fr. Liam Power in the Waterford News and Star here

His columns are worth a read in general

Good to see progressive and reasonable voices like him in the Catholic Church

QuoteFR LIAM POWER: THERE MUST BE LIMIT TO APPEASING ULTRA-CATHOLICS

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/09/15/fr-liam-power-there-must-be-limit-to-appeasing-ultra-catholics/#.X2O9PGhKg2w

Christ. Sad to see toxic American far-right ideology crossing the Atlantic. It still sounds stupid when I hear Irish people bleating about "liberals destroying our society," but god help us if those poisonous fact-averse ideas take hold in Ireland. Election results are heartening though. The Gemmaroids never seem to get much support when it comes to voting time and they usually lose their deposits.
Toxic far right ideology in Ireland is Irish  and wasn't imported here from the USA.
Gemma hasn't got the mass support because generally that particular conspiracy rhetoric she uses  doesn't resonate with the passive ordinary Irish racist and perhaps Islamophobia is not such a thing just yet. Peter Casey was much more cute when it came to tapping into Ireland's racism,  his poll went from 1% to 22% overnight.

Perhaps instead of Gemma, a right wing campaigner like Dana moaning about Travellers would have hit the richter scale of ultra right wing support.
Being prejudiced/racist  against Travellers is acceptable in Ireland, it's so ingrained in the dna that it doesn't raise an eyebrow.

Do travellers as a whole have much will to better themselves and integrate with society as a whole?

I think a lot of the traveller rights group do their people too much of a disservice at times. There is definitely a racism element to travellers but surely they also need to take on board there is a sizable majority of their community who consistently let them down and without addressing that first of all its pointless

Sizeable majority let them down?

Main Street

Quote from: Angelo on September 19, 2020, 04:07:18 PM
Quote from: Main Street on September 19, 2020, 03:57:31 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 18, 2020, 04:27:35 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 17, 2020, 08:51:23 PM
Fine article by Fr. Liam Power in the Waterford News and Star here

His columns are worth a read in general

Good to see progressive and reasonable voices like him in the Catholic Church

QuoteFR LIAM POWER: THERE MUST BE LIMIT TO APPEASING ULTRA-CATHOLICS

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/09/15/fr-liam-power-there-must-be-limit-to-appeasing-ultra-catholics/#.X2O9PGhKg2w

Christ. Sad to see toxic American far-right ideology crossing the Atlantic. It still sounds stupid when I hear Irish people bleating about "liberals destroying our society," but god help us if those poisonous fact-averse ideas take hold in Ireland. Election results are heartening though. The Gemmaroids never seem to get much support when it comes to voting time and they usually lose their deposits.
Toxic far right ideology in Ireland is Irish  and wasn't imported here from the USA.
Gemma hasn't got the mass support because generally that particular conspiracy rhetoric she uses  doesn't resonate with the passive ordinary Irish racist and perhaps Islamophobia is not such a thing just yet. Peter Casey was much more cute when it came to tapping into Ireland's racism,  his poll went from 1% to 22% overnight.

Perhaps instead of Gemma, a right wing campaigner like Dana moaning about Travellers would have hit the richter scale of ultra right wing support.
Being prejudiced/racist  against Travellers is acceptable in Ireland, it's so ingrained in the dna that it doesn't raise an eyebrow.

Do travellers as a whole have much will to better themselves and integrate with society as a whole?

I think a lot of the traveller rights group do their people too much of a disservice at times. There is definitely a racism element to travellers but surely they also need to take on board there is a sizable majority of their community who consistently let them down and without addressing that first of all its pointless
Your not very well developed thoughts on Travellers and the issues that effect them just support my expressed opinion that there's a high level of ignorance and prejudice about and against Travellers in Ireland.  Such attitudes are just mainstream in Ireland.  Just how ignorant would such attitudes be interpreted had they been directed towards native Americans, native Aborigines,  African Americans?

Dag Dog

Bishop apologises over controversial remarks by priest at Listowel Mass
Priest refers to sex between two men and two women as a sin, among other comments

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2022/11/01/bishop-of-kerry-apologised-over-controversial-remarks-delivered-by-priest-at-listowel-sunday-mass/

I don't see the problem. The priest is spelling out the churches rules?

Milltown Row2

Two men and two women sounds like a orgy

Is stoning someone still a church rule or did they change that?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dag Dog

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 01, 2022, 05:08:10 PM

Only one way to find out!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dag Dog on November 01, 2022, 05:20:35 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 01, 2022, 05:08:10 PM

Only one way to find out!

Why do they not keep all the rules? Cherrypicking them to suit, some crackers though

Source:Getty
– It is perfectly legal to beat your wife on the court house steps on Sundays.
– It is illegal to wear a fake moustache that causes laughter in church.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AustinPowers

Quote from: Dag Dog on November 01, 2022, 04:52:55 PM

Priest refers to sex between two men and two women as a sin, among other comments

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2022/11/01/bishop-of-kerry-apologised-over-controversial-remarks-delivered-by-priest-at-listowel-sunday-mass/

Well yeah , that is  the church rules

Everyone knows these views, even if they're never uttered by a priest or bishop.  So those who walked out , I'm sure they knew these views already , So why  Are you at mass in the first place ? Or even a member of the catholic ch?

Rossfan

If you don't agree with an organisations rules time to join a different one.
I'd say th'oul Presbyterian or Free Presbyterian organisations would hold similar views  ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

What's the bishop apologizing for, sure he's just saying the naked truth of what the church believes. If you are stupid enough to pay any heed to it why would you be offended.

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

clarshack

At least he didn't behead any gays in Sligo.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: AustinPowers on November 01, 2022, 05:34:00 PM
Quote from: Dag Dog on November 01, 2022, 04:52:55 PM

Well yeah , that is  the church rules

Everyone knows these views, even if they're never uttered by a priest or bishop.  So those who walked out , I'm sure they knew these views already , So why  Are you at mass in the first place ? Or even a member of the catholic ch?

Can't say I've ever understood why some gay people still stay in the church. Maybe it's because they grew up with it and feel like it's part of their identity and community.

RedHand88

Quote from: clarshack on November 02, 2022, 08:25:16 PM

This is making more news than the Sligo story, which is sad really.

Rossfan

Sligo cases are sub judice.
Seems this Priest spent a long time in U.S.
Explains a lot!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

gallsman

Quote from: RedHand88 on November 03, 2022, 10:09:51 AM
Quote from: clarshack on November 02, 2022, 08:25:16 PM

This is making more news than the Sligo story, which is sad really.

Is this in any way even close to being true?

The killings in Sligo were headline news in Ireland for a week or ten days and featured frequently on UK news as well.