Some people have nothing better to do

Started by Boolerhead Mel, September 12, 2008, 10:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Local sports teams should not be included in this concept, a person should be able to indicate their support for a team in their own  area. The Celtic, Rangers tripe is largely about politics and not sport, but they are not local and they could be prohibited.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Evil Genius

In recent years, Sein Fein has been at the forefront of attempts to "neutralise" [sic] every aspect of public life in NI, by insisting on the removal of any emblem which could be said to identify someone or somewhere with one side or the other.
Now it seems some sad little individual in Strabane, with nothing better to do, has taken them at their word and shoved it right back up them.
Now I can't condone the sort of pettiness which causes such people to be "offended" by something so ordinary as a Tyrone GAA flag, but neither can I refrain from laughing at SF and thinking "Hell slap it into them", either!  :D

Meanwhile, on another day, "Strabane Woman"'s West Belfast counterpart, "Sweet Smelling Sean" has his  15 minutes of fame:

Boots pull union jack t-shirts after complaint
Andersonstown News
By Joe Diamond

A Boots store in Belfast city centre has asked its staff not to wear a union jack-style promotional t-shirts after complaints from a West Belfast shopper.

The West Belfast man made his complaint after seeing a member of staff wearing the t-shirt at the firm's flagship Donegall Place store.

Seán Reynolds said he made a complaint to a manager about the t-shirt, but did not feel it was taken seriously.

"I was in Boots to get my lunch and buy a bottle of after-shave," he told the Andersonstown News.

"I was planning to spend around £40, but when I saw that t-shirt I didn't buy anything.

"To be fair, it was blue and grey, there was no red on it, but it was still basically a union jack.

"I decided to make a complaint because in this day and age people are entitled to work in a neutral environment and this is just a blatantly sectarian symbol.

"I'm an easy-going fella, but I did find it offensive – and I'm only a customer.

"Who knows what it's like for the staff? In my own work we're always told we can't wear any kind of sectarian symbols, so why should Boots be any different?" he asked.

Seán added that when he spoke to a manager she told him the t-shirt was part of an advertising campaign.

A senior member of staff at the store said the t-shirts were part of an advertising campaign for the Dunhill designer range of men's fragrances.

"We value comments from all of our customers, but we are not in the business of causing offence, and as such we have asked the girls to change the t-shirts," he added.

http://www.belfastmedia.com/news_article.php?ID=2009

Maybe Sean has been attending Adult Education Classes organised by our Education Minister, Catriona Ruane?

Sinn Fein anger over B&Q emblem

Sinn Fein has criticised B&Q for putting an Olympic emblem, which includes a Union Jack, on its uniforms.
The DIY chain, which is sponsoring the Great Britain Olympic team, said individual workers could decide whether to wear the new work clothes or not.

However, Ms Ruane claimed those who chose not to could be subjected to "sectarian intimidation".

She said she had been contacted by "a number of staff members" who are unhappy about the uniforms.

"This decision is short-sighted and displays an ignorance of the very divisive nature of symbols in the north," the South Down assembly member said.

However, the DUP's Ian Paisley junior backed B&Q over the issue.

"I welcome the fact that B&Q are standing by their decision on this. I think it only reflects on Catriona Ruane," he said.

"Coming up to our Olympics in London, this is the sort of thing which has to be welcomed and encouraged."

A spokeswoman for B&Q said they were proud to support and sponsor the Great Britain and Northern Ireland Olympic team.

"All B&Q staff have the option of wearing this workwear or their normal B&Q uniform and every employee has complete freedom of choice in this matter," she said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/5224280.stm
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

nrico2006

QuoteCommon sense should prevail. Its only a wee flag ffs, the person probably has kids who wanted it on the car. I can mind my parents putting all the gear on our car in 02 for my bro's & sis they all loved it. There's no alterior motive, no sinister attempt to offend anyone, its a wee flag sitting in a carpark (workplace???), if someone finds a problem with that then they need take a brave look at themselves. Some people just want to be offended.

Common sense is right - I have to pull my Tyrone flag down every time I drive along the Avenue Road and now I will have to do it in Strabane too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

dublinfella

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 12, 2008, 03:14:21 PM
It's pathetic. Straight from the Sammy Wilson book of mutual tolerance and accommodation.

But the workplace  policy is one demanded by SF.....

full back

It just goes to show 1 thing - both sides are as bad as each other ::)

An Fear Rua

Quote from: dublinfella on September 12, 2008, 03:21:06 PM
It's pathetic. Straight from the Sammy Wilson book of mutual tolerance and accommodation.

Thats the second time you have talked about the workplace

Does she do any work in her car?
Does the offended do anywork in said car?
Is the car provided by her work?
Is it a private or Public carpark? Is the car park considered as a place of work? Are they allowed to work in their cars instead of at their desks?

how exactly does this contravene a neutral workplace policy.

Its Grim up North

Evil Genius

Quote from: An Fear Rua on September 12, 2008, 03:28:57 PM

Is it a private or Public carpark? Is the car park considered as a place of work? Are they allowed to work in their cars instead of at their desks?

Semantics. If someone put on e.g. a Rangers top to protect them from the rain when they nipped outside the office to have a smoke, would that be OK, since it is not actually in the office ("place of work")? Remember, other smokers who are required to vacate their "place of work" in order to light up would presumably be at risk of being "offended" by having to stand beside them, or else go further for their smoke and so get wetter.  ::)

If there is only one car park, does that mean the complainant can park her car in the workplace instead? Or if some employees who were also Tyrone fans decided to put together a wee "Up Tyrone" display on the road just outside the actual workplace, would that be OK? What about the toilets or the canteen? Those are hardly a "place of work", but they are no less necessary to be used by every employee than e.g the car park.

Doubtless the complainant is a petty, small-minded cow, but her complaint is no less valid than any number of complaints made by the "other" side.

Back to you, Sinn Fein... ::)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

dublinfella

Quote from: An Fear Rua on September 12, 2008, 03:28:57 PM

what evil genius said.

no-one is disputing the petty nature of the claim, but thems are the rules that nationalist parties lobbied for.

An Fear Rua

Its Grim up North

Donagh

Quote from: Evil Genius on September 12, 2008, 03:17:23 PM
In recent years, Sein Fein has been at the forefront of attempts to "neutralise" [sic] every aspect of public life in NI, by insisting on the removal of any emblem which could be said to identify someone or somewhere with one side or the other.
Now it seems some sad little individual in Strabane, with nothing better to do, has taken them at their word and shoved it right back up them.
Now I can't condone the sort of pettiness which causes such people to be "offended" by something so ordinary as a Tyrone GAA flag, but neither can I refrain from laughing at SF and thinking "Hell slap it into them", either!  :D

Rubbish, SF have been at the forefront of no such thing. If you actually go and read what their policies are you will see that their preference is for the flags and emblems of both cultural traditions to be used side by side to promote inclusivity. However, as unionists have been reluctant to give up their old supremacist notions and display respect to their neighbours, the only option left was to take their toys away from them until they learn the lesson. The 'neutral' workplaces we have now are a direct result of decades of unionist bigotry, intimidation and intolerance.

bennydorano

Quote from: Evil Genius on September 12, 2008, 03:17:23 PM

"To be fair, it was blue and grey, there was no red on it, but it was still basically a union jack.

"I decided to make a complaint because in this day and age people are entitled to work in a neutral environment and this is just a blatantly sectarian symbol.

It was still basically a Union Jack indeed, did someone try to tell this gent that Union Jack's are not the preserve of the UK and actually are a type of Flag, so in this case his pettiness was misplaced - Pedantic on my part I know but Tit for tat pettiness drives me fackin nuts.  

Evil Genius

Quote from: An Fear Rua on September 12, 2008, 03:57:14 PM
so no answer to the question then

Are you blind? I answered your question. In order to enjoy the same right to work "unoffended" as everyone else, an employee must have access to the same ancillliary facilities as everyone else, in a non-threatening or divisive setting.

Otherwise, those intent on flouting the law would do so by avoiding displaying contentious emblems etc in the workplace itself, but concentrate on other areas - e.g. canteen, toilets, smoking area, steps to the building etc. Oh, and car park.

There is more than one way (location) for demonstrating that somewhere is a "Loyalist" or "Republican" workplace, than merely putting a flag on your desk...
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Gabriel_Hurl

You'd be surprised how petty people can be

I remember when working in Dunnes in Magherafelt in 2000 - a woman wouldn't buy a box of Kellogg's Cornflakes because there was a shamrock on it indicating that Kellogg's was the official cereal sponsor of the Irish Olympic team.

She asked me to go out to the store and find a box that didn't have one.

Fortunately for her - we had a case of boxes that had Union Jacks on them - indicating they were the official cereal sponsor of the British team.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Donagh on September 12, 2008, 03:57:57 PM
Rubbish, SF have been at the forefront of no such thing.

Aye, right... ::)

Quote from: Donagh on September 12, 2008, 03:57:57 PM
If you actually go and read what their policies are you will see that their preference is for the flags and emblems of both cultural traditions to be used side by side to promote inclusivity. However, as unionists have been reluctant to give up their old supremacist notions and display respect to their neighbours, the only option left was to take their toys away from them until they learn the lesson. The 'neutral' workplaces we have now are a direct result of decades of unionist bigotry, intimidation and intolerance.
Simple question, then. As a supporter of SF's policy on this matter, do you agree with the Strabane complainant in this instance, or do you think she is out of order?
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

ziggysego

Sad news indeed, especially when you consider in 2003 and 2005 the local Unionist MLA said he like seeing the Tinnies dressed up in the Tyrone colours. What happened in them short years?
Testing Accessibility