Cork v Kilkenny, NHL final, Semple Stadium, 6/5/12.

Started by CorkMan, April 29, 2012, 06:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorkMan

Cork looking good after win over Tipp last week. Kilkenny not too convincing against Clare, but they hardly ever have too off-days in a row. Looking forward to it, but I just think Kilkenny will be too strong for us.

Thoughts?

CorkMan

The Cork team to play Kilkenny will line out as follows:                                           
                                          1. Martin Coleman
                     Ballinhassig

2. Shane O'Neill       3. Stephen McDonnell    4. Brian Murphy
Bishopstown               Glen Rovers          Bride Rovers

5. Seán Óg hAilpín            6. Eoin Cadogan       7. William Egan
Na Piarsaigh               Douglas             Kilbrin

8. Lorcán McLoughlin       9. John Gardiner
      Kanturk                    Na Piarsaigh

10. Conor Lehane            11. Pa Cronin          12. Niall McCarthy
Midleton                     Bishopstown          Carrigtwohill

13. Luke O'Farrell      14. Paudie O'Sullivan    15. Patrick Horgan
Midleton                  Cloyne             Glen Rovers
16. Anthony Nash Kanturk
17. Conor O'Sullivan Sarfields
18. Damien Cahalane St. Finbarr's
19. Tom Kenny Grenagh
20. Christopher Joyce Na Piarsaigh
21. Darren Sweetnam Dohenys
22. Ross Cashman Kilbrittain
23. Jamie Coughlan Newtownshandrum
24. Cathal Naughton Newtownshandrum
25. Cian McCarthy Sarsfields
26. Brian Corry Ballymartle

Ash Smoker

I have an inkling that Cork could win this. Looking at the Kilkenny team and they seem beatable.
What is the verdict on Martin Coleman down in Cork?
Is the loss of Donal Og going to be a major blow for Cork?

Ash Smoker

The Kilkenny team...

KILKENNY:
David Herity;

Paul Murphy, JJ Delaney, Jackie Tyrrell;

Tommy Walsh, Brian Hogan, Richie Doyle;

Michael Fennelly, Paddy Hogan;

Richie Hogan, TJ Reid, Cillian Buckley;

Colin Fennelly, Eoin Larkin (capt), Matthew Ruth.

Subs: Eoin Murphy, Kieran Joyce, Conor Fogarty, John Tennyson, Willie Phelan, John Mulhall, Mark Bergin, Tomas Breen, Padraig Walsh, Lester Ryan.

I'd even go as far as saying that the Kilkenny forward line might be a bit light.

Wildweasel74

imtommygunn

Harsh lesson for Cork. Thought the goalie could definitely have done better for the first one. Kilkenny are clinical - Cronin messed about when he should have had a point, was dispossessed and then kilkenny go down the field and goal. Move summed up the difference to me.

You forget how good Larkin is when Richie Power etc are there. Is King Henry back this year?

seafoid

Cork were very poor last year. They couldn't have turned it around so quickly.

Ash Smoker

Wow, Kilkenny hammered them and could have won by twice the margin if they weren't so wasteful.
I bet Nash will be between the sticks for championship. Sean Og might have been better off staying retired too.

I just can't see Kilkenny being stopped this year  :(

Agent Orange

orangeman

Kilkenny are ruthless when they take the notion.

The Stepford Wives thing still rankles obviously.

Premier Emperor

I was down in Cork all last week and they were very confident about this match.
They had clearly forgotten about the hidings Kilkenny had given them in the last few years.

johnneycool

Quote from: Premier Emperor on May 08, 2012, 12:08:27 PM
I was down in Cork all last week and they were very confident about this match.
They had clearly forgotten about the hidings Kilkenny had given them in the last few years.

Kilkenny seem to have a good system of blooding the younger players in along side the established stars and that takes a bit of the pressure of them and allows them to flourish in such an environment.

Cork are trying to bring in very good youngsters, but in a team very much in transition and that makes it harder to do. I do like the look of Sweetnam, Egan and Lehane though. I think they are the real deal, but not enough just yet to lift this team to the level of Kilkenny.

McDonnell got his first real education in fullback play and if he learns from it has still something to offer. The rock had some chastening experiences when he first moved in there from wing back. Rock initially was a catching fullback and it looked good when he succeeded, but when his opponent caught the ball it resulted in scores. He changed his game to batting it back out to an expectant half back line, and it tightened up the ship. A ruthlessness is also needed as JJ Delaney showed at the other end when Lehane was bearing down on goal. JJ took his yellow card, free was pushed over the bar, no goal conceded! A jittery keeper behind him certainly wouldn't have helped but one may have been feeding off the others weakness. Eoin Larkin will be as good a fullforward that he'll meet this year and I'm including Joe Canning in that.

Sean O'g is not holding his own now and not breaking tackles to drive upfield, which begs the question of what is being gained from playing him. You'd be better playing someone with potential even if they are currently weaker, but at least they'd learn and improve. Sean O'g is on the wane and may be good enough to have about the panel, but shouldn't be starting.
Gardiner is very loose for midfield which is well and good if you're getting on the ball and using it effectively more than your opponent, but on sunday he wasn't and was killing his defence. He should have been called to shore rather than McLoughlin who wasn't great either.

Niall McCarthy is still the main ball winner in the Cork attack and has improved in the shooting stakes in the last year or so. He can't do all the donkey work though and needs able assistance from another dirty ball winner which Lehane may win his fair share off when he grows into it.
Is there no Timmy Crowley's in Cork hurling now? JBM wouldn't have won half his allstars without him and Seany O'Leary doing the graft.

Cork still a few years and a few players off competing again IMO.

Rawhide

Quote from: Ash Smoker on May 06, 2012, 12:29:36 PM
I have an inkling that Cork could win this. Looking at the Kilkenny team and they seem beatable.
What is the verdict on Martin Coleman down in Cork?
Is the loss of Donal Og going to be a major blow for Cork?

Quote from: Ash Smoker on May 06, 2012, 07:31:36 PM
Wow, Kilkenny hammered them and could have won by twice the margin if they weren't so wasteful.
I bet Nash will be between the sticks for championship. Sean Og might have been better off staying retired too.

I just can't see Kilkenny being stopped this year  :(

Hope your not a gambler, not a clue man!! ;D
cccc is a true supporter lol

Asal Mor

Rawhide you should head out to Paddy Power's and see what kind of price you can get on being wise after an event.