2019 Joe McDonagh Cup

Started by Mossy Bruce, March 10, 2019, 06:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smcder

Mcdonagh cup on at same time as munster final I think.

redsetanta

It is which is a joke. Should be different weekends.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

smcder

Not really. Having it on before the Leinster final to have it on before a big game.
And they have the munster and Leinster finals on the same day to have a big day of hurling. And it evens up the breaks between the following fixtures.

MasterJ

Was the Joe McDonagh Cup final on live TV last year?

Don Draper

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on June 09, 2019, 04:42:09 AM
I'm thrilled at the depth of the panel that Laois is developing.

So, a dumb question from a spectator way out wesht--how does Laois cultivate a strong second-string goalie if another lad isn't sub'd in there every once in awhile. We'd be foooked if Enda Rowland got injured.
You never got an answer to this Mossy. Its a tricky one, you need to give the sub goalie a few games here and there, but its a tricky one to balance given in our situation we were bedding in a few new backs this year, who needed a solid keeper behind them. You can only hope you don't need him this time out and that next year he can get a bit of a run out. But the position of sub goalie in a county like Laois where we have Rowland in the hurling and Brody in the football is an unforgiving one. Generally as a result sub keepers don't hang around for long. Its a lot of effort for little reward. Kind of like an intercounty player from a weaker county really.

blueandwhite1

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0612/1054950-joe-mcdonagh-cup-set-for-final-day-blockbuster/

I am a reading this wrong or is this just a complete lazy ass mis-reading of the McDonagh cup permutations by RTE?

Is he suggesting that if Laois beat Westmeath then Antrim will be in the final? This can't be true UNLESS Laois hammer Westmeath by more than 19 points and Kerry beat Offaly but don't pass out Antrim on goal difference. If Kerry don't win then the Westmeath result is irrelevant as it comes down to head-head between Westmeath and Antrim which Westmeath won.

I think that the only drama left is who gets relegated - Offaly or Kerry.

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: Don Draper on June 12, 2019, 09:50:08 AM
Quote from: Mossy Bruce on June 09, 2019, 04:42:09 AM
I'm thrilled at the depth of the panel that Laois is developing.

So, a dumb question from a spectator way out wesht--how does Laois cultivate a strong second-string goalie if another lad isn't sub'd in there every once in awhile. We'd be foooked if Enda Rowland got injured.
You never got an answer to this Mossy. Its a tricky one, you need to give the sub goalie a few games here and there, but its a tricky one to balance given in our situation we were bedding in a few new backs this year, who needed a solid keeper behind them. You can only hope you don't need him this time out and that next year he can get a bit of a run out. But the position of sub goalie in a county like Laois where we have Rowland in the hurling and Brody in the football is an unforgiving one. Generally as a result sub keepers don't hang around for long. Its a lot of effort for little reward. Kind of like an intercounty player from a weaker county really.
Thanks for answering, Don. All good points. It would be tricky since you can let a few fly over the bar trying out new lads in defense but you can't ever really take a chance on anything hitting the back of the net.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Mossy Bruce

I've seen a couple of lads mention the Joe McDonagh Cup Final will be aired by TG4. However, when I go to their "Live Sport" page (https://www.tg4.ie/en/live-sport/gaa-beo/) it says, "GAA Beo returns on July 3rd with the Bord Gáis Energy Leinster U20 Hurling Championship."

Does anyone have any more info on who (if anyone) will be broadcasting the Final live?
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Junior Ex Laoistalk

As far as I can gather TG4 will be streaming it live as they did last year but it won't be live on TV.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on June 12, 2019, 11:32:11 PM
As far as I can gather TG4 will be streaming it live as they did last year but it won't be live on TV.
Okay. Thanks!
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

MasterJ

I will be at the game anyway.

Leixlad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMpOcHZ1Btg

A good chat between Wolly and Cheddar regarding what Joe McDonagh teams ect need to do to bridge the gap to next level. Passion Cheddar has is incredible, not just for Laois but hurling in general. Unfortunately not too many people in the GAA want to listen to him and his plans - then again why would they when our own county board wouldn't. Sigh.

Don Draper

Quote from: Leixlad on June 13, 2019, 09:52:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMpOcHZ1Btg

A good chat between Wolly and Cheddar regarding what Joe McDonagh teams ect need to do to bridge the gap to next level. Passion Cheddar has is incredible, not just for Laois but hurling in general. Unfortunately not too many people in the GAA want to listen to him and his plans - then again why would they when our own county board wouldn't. Sigh.
Some lads despise Cheddar because he's a successful go getter. These sort of fellas would be happy swamping around in their own filth day in day out, while the likes of Cheddar will look to the stars. There's plenty of them on here like that too.

High Fielder

You can't but admire the enthusiasm. You can see he thinks everything is possible. I always think numbers are what make the GAA so imbalanced. Big clubs and counties are able to leave behind players who are not quite good enough, while smaller clubs/counties have to persist. Im not sure that's a balance that can ever be fully achieved. Good interview though, and a man whose opinion always matters

redsetanta

It annoys me to think that only for Wolly's show we'd be hearing nothing from Cheddar. We have the COE, a senior hurling team doing well, some decent minors coming through, GAA in the county on a high and now is the time to have someone like Cheddar pushing the whole thing on. A smart man and one of our own who wants nothing but the best for Laois hurling and the wider hurling community. He knows the limitations but has his plans.

I still think that if Laois businesses invested in Cheddar he would return the investment. Croke Park should be shamed into doing something because Cheddar would have a plan that fits Laois so it wouldn't be cap in hand, there would be an overall benefit.

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi