What can the GAA do to resurrect an interest in Intercounty Football?

Started by From the Bunker, June 20, 2018, 07:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: mrdeeds on June 21, 2018, 01:31:48 PM
I think the imbalance is a huge issue. More funding has to go into weaker counties to provide quality coaching and try and get an interest in GAA. I remember working with a lad a few years ago who took a career break to work full time as a recruitment officer for Parnells. His job involved going into schools and coaching hurling and signing them up with club.
Well that's exactly the "paid coaches" that everyone talks about. They don't go near the elite kids, they teach basic skills to those who have done little/no GAA and encourage them to join the club where the volunteers will look after them. I think I remember hearing they get paid something in the early €20ks, but I don't know for sure. Half the money comes from the club the other half from the GAA.

No question that this should be available in every county, maybe one GDO per 2 or 3 clubs. Certainly in places where it's not automatic that the schoolkids would head down to the GAA club in the town/village anyway.Certainly in places where it's not automatic that the schoolkids would head down to the GAA club in the town/village anyway. I doubt anyone would be turned down if they said they would raise half the money from their members.

Hound

Quote from: mup on June 21, 2018, 02:14:33 PM
Sincere apologies. I picked you up completely wrong.

To answer your question I don't know. But I don't think you are comparing like with like. I don't believe The Roscommon and Armagh CB's 'favoured' the clubs in question during those periods.

Yeah, and that's where I fail to get across my point because many just don't believe it.
Like, you do have people who seem to believe that Dublin players don't work!
People seem to think that the GAA have created this Dubs team to dominate, and that for some reason its a completely different story to when Kerry and Kilkenny dominated.

I honestly don't believe the GAA favour the Dubs intercounty team, or do as much as they can to help the Dubs win. The difference is the Dubs are now taking advantage of the natural advantages they they have. And many of those have increased (population movement from country to Dublin)

The money argument is a complete red herring. The money the GAA gives to the Dubs goes completely to grassroots and not to elite. Maybe a GDO persuaded someone to play GAA (who otherwise would not) and they went on to become a superstar. But I doubt it. For sure they've helped drive membership which brings in more money to clubs to improve facilities and more volunteers, but that's a hardly a bad thing.

We have a huge advantage in playing numbers throughout the county, and the Dublin County Board are now making best use of that, ex-county players volunteering to take underage development squads, etc and very importantly a vibrant and well run club scene.

The DCB are also exploiting commercial revenues much better, so players are looked after very well. Players are also looked after really well in Kerry and Mayo, but we have the huge advantage that all our players are within a relatively short distance of training pitches, etc. So it's just easier.

And fans and players not having the hassle, inconvenience, cost, etc of travelling to many away games is a great advantage.

Maybe Dublin should build a 30k-40k stadium to be their home and take away some of the perceived Croke Park advantage. Although maybe that would be a waste of money. 

We're obviously not doing everything right in that are minors rarely dominate and would have been miles behind Kerry the last few years and our hurlers, who get just as much funding, can't breakthrough to the big time. But with population continuing to increase I'm sure that will change some day. We need to start moving people away from Dublin!

Gael85

Quote from: mrdeeds on June 21, 2018, 01:31:48 PM
I think the imbalance is a huge issue. More funding has to go into weaker counties to provide quality coaching and try and get an interest in GAA. I remember working with a lad a few years ago who took a career break to work full time as a recruitment officer for Parnells. His job involved going into schools and coaching hurling and signing them up with club.

Parnells sold their pitch beside the Airport and pissed all their money again signing up mercenaries likes Wooly and Conor Mort. Stephen Cluxton actually dropped down to their intermediate team to play with the lads he grew up with up as senior team was full of outsiders. They never got close to winning senior championship and now in AFL3.

SpeculativeEffort

Put the Dublin club champions into the Leinster cship with the other counties. The likes of Vincents,BBoden etc. have as big a population as most counties anyway. That would level it out.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on June 22, 2018, 12:15:55 AM
Put the Dublin club champions into the Leinster cship with the other counties. The likes of Vincents,BBoden etc. have as big a population as most counties anyway. That would level it out.

The Leinster championship result last November in case you missed it. Rathnew (Wicklow) 1-13. St. Vincent's (Dublin) 1-9

longballin

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 22, 2018, 12:35:35 AM
Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on June 22, 2018, 12:15:55 AM

The Leinster championship result last November in case you missed it. Rathnew (Wicklow) 1-13. St. Vincent's (Dublin) 1-9

Correct but is usual anti Dublin begrudgery drives that nonsense.

Rossfan

Thread is about inter County where the Monster partly created by HQ has won around 12 out last 13 Leinster Championships, 5 of the last 7 AIs and must be 5 of the last 6 NFLs.
There is no sign of this abating.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rosnarun

Quote from: Rossfan on June 22, 2018, 09:38:11 AM
Thread is about inter County where the Monster partly created by HQ has won around 12 out last 13 Leinster Championships, 5 of the last 7 AIs and must be 5 of the last 6 NFLs.
There is no sign of this abating.
hurling is getting all the praise but they have abandon all but the elite and show no interest in getting any one to join them.
if the football championship was restricteted to 10 teams in a 2 equal division round robin format imagine how many great games there would be and none of the hammering that takeplace annually in the current structure,
but as long as counties like wicklow, Waterford, Leitrim expect to able to enter the sam Maguire every year without any qualification with no hope of winning it the is little can be done with the structures in real terms other than piss about with it
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Rossfan

Have we now 3 obsolete Provincial cakewalk Championships and one competitive one?
Next 2 Rounds and the Qtr Final series might reawaken things hopefully.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Rossfan on June 24, 2018, 07:18:18 PM
Have we now 3 obsolete Provincial cakewalk Championships and one competitive one?

Not much wrong with Ulster Monaghan, Tyrone and Donegal have been competitive with one another for a good few years now while Armagh, Derry, Down and Cavan have the potential to be strong again. Leinster would reawaken when Dublin is separated from it while Munster is problematic but the GAA won't die in it with Hurling being so strong. Leinster is where the GAA is really dying and an ignored tiered championship won't help.

shark

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on June 24, 2018, 07:26:23 PM

Not much wrong with Ulster Monaghan, Tyrone and Donegal have been competitive with one another for a good few years now while Armagh, Derry, Down and Cavan have the potential to be strong again. Leinster would reawaken when Dublin is separated from it while Munster is problematic but the GAA won't die in it with Hurling being so strong. Leinster is where the GAA is really dying and an ignored tiered championship won't help.

Can only speak for what I see in Westmeath. For 4 years prior to this year Westmeath won every game they played in Leinster until they met Dublin. Beat Meath for first time ever, and Kildare for first time in a long long time. Also 2 wins against rivals Offaly were a big deal. In all 4 games against Dublin they were stuffed. Played defensively in 2 finals and kept the score down to semi respectable levels. Last year the players asked to play more offensively, were allowed to, and got annihilated. They were embarrassed. Slagged off and joked at all over social media.
What happened this year? Roughly 10 of the best 25 players in the county packed it in. All still below 30. Another has announced ( ::) ) his retirement since the Armagh game. Still in his prime.
I don't blame any of them. There is no point. They don't get out anything close to what they put in. This will be seen right across the country, but I guess Leinster is seeing it first.

Rossfan

So take Dublin out of Leinster and Kerry out of Munster and let them have automatic entry to the big 8?
Save all those one sided massacres.
Donegal making a good case to join them with the scores they ran up in 4 Ulster games this year.

trileacman

Quote from: Rossfan on June 24, 2018, 07:39:45 PM
So take Dublin out of Leinster and Kerry out of Munster and let them have automatic entry to the big 8?
Save all those one sided massacres.
Donegal making a good case to join them with the scores they ran up in 4 Ulster games this year.

We done that last year. Means nothing.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

seafoid

Yup
It is very sad
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: shark on June 24, 2018, 07:38:40 PM
Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on June 24, 2018, 07:26:23 PM

Can only speak for what I see in Westmeath. For 4 years prior to this year Westmeath won every game they played in Leinster until they met Dublin. Beat Meath for first time ever, and Kildare for first time in a long long time. Also 2 wins against rivals Offaly were a big deal. In all 4 games against Dublin they were stuffed. Played defensively in 2 finals and kept the score down to semi respectable levels. Last year the players asked to play more offensively, were allowed to, and got annihilated. They were embarrassed. Slagged off and joked at all over social media.
What happened this year? Roughly 10 of the best 25 players in the county packed it in. All still below 30. Another has announced ( ::) ) his retirement since the Armagh game. Still in his prime.
I don't blame any of them. There is no point. They don't get out anything close to what they put in. This will be seen right across the country, but I guess Leinster is seeing it first.

When they get to play the football version of the Christy Ring cup they will come flooding back though.