29 (36.3%)
Stephen Cluxton
7 (8.8%)
Andy Moran
7 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Voting closed: September 28, 2011, 03:23:43 PM

imtommygunn

P.S. Just to clarify this is not anti-dublin sentiment...

I think Cluxton should get it. However if Brogan gets it over Lacey I think it's a mistake.

heffo

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 30, 2011, 09:50:47 PM
Ummm... yes.

Minus the parts he could barely stand up.

Have you any stats to back that up or is it a gut feeling? My memory of that game is of him not really being in the game.

He may well have been excellent against Div 3 Cavan but Brogan was excellent against team of the decade Kerry in the final.

imtommygunn

Can you get stats to back up whether a player is brilliant in a game??

I believe he was very influential against Dublin. He dictated the way Donegal carried the ball out of defense and tackled excellently. Him going off was a major blow to Donegal.

Sure you could flip your argument for Lacey against division 3 cavan to brogan against division 3 wexford.

heffo

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 30, 2011, 09:59:50 PM
Can you get stats to back up whether a player is brilliant in a game??

I believe he was very influential against Dublin. He dictated the way Donegal carried the ball out of defense and tackled excellently. Him going off was a major blow to Donegal.

Sure you could flip your argument for Lacey against division 3 cavan to brogan against division 3 wexford.

Well if you had stats available you could judge a player under certain kpi's - though clearly stats are only part of an overall picture.

We'll agree to disagree but Lacey played a half a game plus up to quarter final - Alan Brogan scored two, made two, had the ball 23 times and gave it away once in the final.

Lacey has no chance imo.

imtommygunn

A KPI like having the ball doesn't mean much. Scored 2 and made two maybe but not having the ball.

Also defenders KPIs will never have the wow factor that a forwards will have so it's not a fair comparison. Karl Lacey won't have scored 2 and directly assisted 2 points in any game however he could well have been involved in setting up from about 5 passes back or dispossessions leading up to it. No stats will gather that info.

There are lies, damn lies and statistics. KPIs, in my view, are not that relevant for judging individuals against each other. They are in identifying weak areas for teams (e.g. kickouts won, turnover ball etc etc) but you can't compare forwards midfielders defenders and goalies with KPIs. It all really boils down to opinions.

I don't believe Lacey will win either however the fact he was injured in the semi or the fact that he wasn't in the final shouldn't really have that big a bearing on it. It probably will in the end but it shouldn't have.

Like I said I think Cluxton will win anyway.

heffo

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 30, 2011, 10:15:56 PM
Like I said I think Cluxton will win anyway.

Agree with your points re stats - don't think Cluxton is a serious candidate no matter how deserving because of his unwillingness to co-operate with the media - especially since the awards have been merged with the GPA and Opel's involvement and the attendant responsibilities.

imtommygunn

Yeah it's a pity it can pan out like that. Cluxton hugely influential on Dublin's gameplan - I doubt there ever has been a keeper as influential in a team. There hasn't been in my lifetime anyway.

He seemed to earn some brownie points for punching Jason McAteer - maybe he'll be ok and he's just levelled them out rather than go into the negative  ;D

johnpower

Think Lacey had a great year but Alan Brogan will win the big one . What age is Lacey? he will be key for 2012

oakleafgael

Quote from: heffo on September 30, 2011, 09:16:58 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 30, 2011, 08:15:37 PM
Alan Brogan was very poor in the AI semi-final. POTY should be consistently excellent in every game which Lacey was so hardly a question of justice.

Cluxton's kick-outs weren't quite at their best in the final. He kind of made up for that though...

Cluxton or Lacey in my book and Brogan, while very good, shouldn't get it.

Alan may have kicked four wides against Donegal (with 13 defenders hanging out of him) but was excellent in every other aspect of the game - winning ball, finding a teammate etc.

He was on the balll 25 times and gave the ball away once.

Lacey was average for the 42 minutes he was on the pitch against Dublin

Lacey was quiet enough in the semi final up until he was deliberately taken out of it after the ball was gone. Pretty hard to shine on one leg.

heffo

Quote from: oakleafgael on September 30, 2011, 11:14:19 PM
Quote from: heffo on September 30, 2011, 09:16:58 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 30, 2011, 08:15:37 PM
Alan Brogan was very poor in the AI semi-final. POTY should be consistently excellent in every game which Lacey was so hardly a question of justice.

Cluxton's kick-outs weren't quite at their best in the final. He kind of made up for that though...

Cluxton or Lacey in my book and Brogan, while very good, shouldn't get it.

Alan may have kicked four wides against Donegal (with 13 defenders hanging out of him) but was excellent in every other aspect of the game - winning ball, finding a teammate etc.

He was on the balll 25 times and gave the ball away once.

Lacey was average for the 42 minutes he was on the pitch against Dublin

Lacey was quiet enough in the semi final up until he was deliberately taken out of it after the ball was gone.

Oh be to hokey, was there cynical play in that game? Can't say I noticed at all.

ross4life

Well gaaboard winner Lacey didn't make the shortlist Alan Brogan,Stephen Cluxton and Darran O'Sullivan.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

AZOffaly

Saw that :) Had to smile. They are so populist. Cluxton, is he really a nominee for player of the year?  Alan Brogan, yes, and he's the lad I think will win it. Darren O'Sullivan, fair enough, I can see the argument. Cluxton, I just can't see it. All Star, definitely a great chance, but POTY?

Mayo4Sam

I wouldnt give Cluxton an all-star, never mind POTY, he had a stinker of a final other than the free. Completely populist decision, the lads picking these clearly just read headlines & scorers from match
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

sans pessimism

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on October 12, 2011, 06:40:26 PM
I wouldnt give Cluxton an all-star, never mind POTY, he had a stinker of a final other than the free. Completely populist decision, the lads picking these clearly just read headlines & scorers from match
yea,watched the AF again last nite.some of Clucks ko's were very poor
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

bombidal

the last 7 mins of the All-Ireland changed Alan Brogan from a 10/1 shot into a 4/9 shot for POTY. This cannot be right. Darren O'Sullivan scored the 2 best goals of the championship and was excellent throughout the whole year. Was even in line for Man of the match in the final until the final 7 mins. Brogan was quiet in the 1/4 final, poor in the semi final & average in the final. Brogan getting this award is on a par with Giggs getting POTY a few years ago. Bit of a joke. Cluxton is the same. Kerry keeper had a better year.
*** Gaaboard Fantasy Football Champion 09 ***