We Need an All-Star thread

Started by Dinny Breen, July 19, 2011, 03:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: thewobbler on October 21, 2011, 10:49:45 PM
I think Down would stand a very good chance of beating that team. Cork, Kerry or Dublin would eat them up.

Worst all star selection ever IMHO.
[/b]

Seriously ?

Why so ?. Is it cos of all the Dubs ?.  ;)

trileacman

Quote from: orangeman on October 21, 2011, 10:07:04 PM
2011 GAA/GPA Football All Stars

Goalkeeper:
Stephen Cluxton (Dublin)

Full backs:
Marc O'Sé (Kerry), Neill McGee (Donegal), Michael Foley (Kildare)

Half backs:
Kevin Cassidy (Donegal), Karl Lacey (Donegal), Kevin Nolan (Dublin)

Midfield:
Bryan Sheehy (Kerry), Michael Darragh Macauley (Dublin)

Half forwards:
Darran O'Sullivan (Kerry), Alan Brogan (Dublin), Paul Flynn (Dublin)

Full forwards:
Colm Cooper (Kerry), Andy Moran (Mayo), Bernard Brogan (Dublin)

If he is the premier midfielder in the country then the GAA is in a bad way.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: trileacman on October 21, 2011, 11:15:48 PM

Goalkeeper:
Stephen Cluxton (Dublin)

Full backs:
Marc O'Sé (Kerry), Neill McGee (Donegal), Michael Foley (Kildare)

Half backs:
Kevin Cassidy (Donegal), Karl Lacey (Donegal), Kevin Nolan (Dublin)

Midfield:
Bryan Sheehy (Kerry), Michael Darragh Macauley (Dublin)

Half forwards:
Darran O'Sullivan (Kerry), Alan Brogan (Dublin), Paul Flynn (Dublin)

Full forwards:
Colm Cooper (Kerry), Andy Moran (Mayo), Bernard Brogan (Dublin)

His brother posts on here, say nothing
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

orangeman

Johnny Doyle who is one of the country's finest footballers was nominated as a midfielder as well. Neither Johnny or Bryan Sheehan would have been recognised as midfielders but they clearly had very good seasons.

Sheehan especially fielded some great ball.

Is it a sign of the changing world in the GAA ?.

Sea The Stars

There would appear to be a couple of simpletons on this forum. Screenexile and the Down poster above certainly amongst them!!

Have to say, it's a very good AllStar team. Not many selections I could disagree with: possibly would have had Rory O'Carroll in instead of Marc O'Se and Emmett Bolton for Kevin Nolan but you'll always get close calls like that!

Very good AllStar team......and a reflection of the best players in 2011. Well done to all the receiptants and to the people who picked the team.

Kerry Mike

Well done the Kerry  lads and nice recognition for Shane Nolan. Bryan Sheehan has to now up the ante , David Moran will be back next year and competition will be good.other than that I thought  Killian Young was unlucky and its always good to see one hit wonders like cork getting nothing.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

J70

Well done to the three Donegal lads. Very well deserved!  ;D

Karl Lacey is the first Donegal player to receive three All Stars. Kevin Cassidy is only the third to get a second award, after Lacey himself and Martin McHugh (like McHugh, his second came nine years after his first!).

INDIANA

Quote from: thewobbler on October 21, 2011, 10:49:45 PM
I think Down would stand a very good chance of beating that team. Cork, Kerry or Dublin would eat them up.

Worst all star selection ever IMHO.

On that basis it brings home how shite down are really

Orchardman

Wobbler, are u mad? Down beat a team that has cooper and the 2 brogans up front? down would be cut through every time! and yes, so would armagh, so there's your reply hammered.

It always strikes me how much attention is given to the all-star event, it's such rubbish. Even when armagh were at the business end of things in finals and semi finals, i never took much notice. The media sometimes talk about maybe a certain player from a smaller county getting an award to represent that county's run that year, what bulllshit! a man should get it if he has been outstanding and that's it. I know some people have complained about player's like joe mcmahan etc not getting one, but i think it really needs to generally come from players having big games in the quarter final, semi final, and final. If your team doesn't get there then tough luck. Was it galvin or keenan got one last year? they were exceptions.

And just cause a team wins the all ireland, doesnt mean they have to get 6-8 all stars, they already have the main award that matters. Had kerry hung on for another 5 mins, there would be arguments for more kerry men, fine margins. The 3 donegal lads deserve their awards big time, brilliant players.

trileacman

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on October 21, 2011, 11:17:49 PM
Quote from: trileacman on October 21, 2011, 11:15:48 PM

His brother posts on here, say nothing

:D :D
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

spectator

Quote from: ross4life on October 21, 2011, 07:49:40 PM
well done to the Andy Moran on his All-star the town of Ballaghaderreen will be delighted.

Spot on R4L. Congrats to Andy, well deserved All-Star award & a very popular winner with all in Ballagh.

muppet

Congrats to Andy and a special mention to the YPOTY (although I hope he has a quiet one today).

In winning it Cillian joins some serious forwards such as Stephen O'Neill, Ronan Clarke and Michael Donnellan. Hopefully he goes on to emulate them.
MWWSI 2017

Sam2011

Well done to Andy and Cillian! They both had great seasons and I'm delighted they got some kind of compensation for the hard work they put in all year. Also congratulations to all the other Mayo nominees.

thewobbler

My main issue with this year's All Stars is that only 4 of them- Cluxton, Lacey, B Brogan and Cooper - are stonewallers as  among the best XV in the country, and even at that, the latter two had average rather than explosive years. They're all very good players, but I'd have always hoped that All Star awards were for better players again.

Marc O Se is a fine player who had a decent year, nothing more, and got this award more for being an O Se than for his performances. 

Niall McGee is again a fine player (they all are) but he'd the luxury of 6 half backs playing in front of him all year. It would take a monumental fcuk up of a full back not to look good in those circumstances.

Foley was the wrong Kildare man, and even at that, along with Mac Lochlainn, O Se and McGee, was a long way behind Eoin Cadogan as the best man marker in the country in 2011.

Cassidy scored a wonder point vs Kildare but on my humble opinion had one of his weaker seasons on. Donegal shirt. He was good, but this was an All Star for services rendered rather than 2011 performances.

Lacey, outstanding and more than deserved.

Nolan, no real complaints about this one either. If he has another top year in 2012 he could move into the exalted company.

McAuley did nothing of note in 2011 apart from get back into the Dublin team. 

Sheehan is a disgraceful decision. Kicking 60m frees is about as relevant to midfield play as how far you can throw an onion. Kerry got universally cleaned out at midfield this year any time Galvin wasn't on the field, and Sheehan was the main reason why.

Darran O Sullivan surprised me this year. I really didn't think he had it in him to contribute in every game. So no real complaints here. Much like Nolan, I hope he does it again next year and makes a fool of me. I just can't see it in this one's case though.

In a team lacking stars, Alan Brogan took on the Jason Sherlock role for Dublin this year. The media needed a poster boy and this was the closest thy could find. He did little wrong, and he popped up with some big scores, but this is not player of the year material in my book. I don't even know if he was All Star material.

Flynn. Originally i thought that this was a political decision to keep Dublin's numbers up. But why him? I don't even remember him featuring this year. If Flynn is an All Star and Cullen isn't even a nominee, then I truly must know nothing about football. (someone should put that line in bold in a reply). 

Moran is an interesting one. A formerly useful player who had an outstanding year, in some ways it's hard to argue with his inclusion. Yet it still smells of sentiment rather than than recognition.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: thewobbler on October 23, 2011, 08:53:44 PM
Foley was the wrong Kildare man, and even at that, along with Mac Lochlainn, O Se and McGee, was a long way behind Eoin Cadogan as the best man marker in the country in 2011.

Mick Foley was Kildare's best player this year by a country mile. Aindriú MacLochlainn? You cannot be serious.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?