We Need an All-Star thread

Started by Dinny Breen, July 19, 2011, 03:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Brogan and Cooper may have been slightly more average by their standards than usual however Brogan (Bernard) stood up when it counted and had a vital impact against Donegal and Kerry. Objective average is very different from subjective and the all stars should be objective...

Alan Brogan was a no brainer. I wouldn't entirely agree with Paul Flynn but he was outstanding against Tyrone.

Cassidy had his best year in a long time and Magee was excellent and should not be punished for larger numbers out the field. Still the best full back of the year.

I was very glad to see Moran get one.

I think the team isn't bad - this year there were a lot of debates in key positions especially midfield. Midfield was extremely hard to pick.

nrico2006

Shocked that Brogan got player of the year.  The standard seems to have slipped over the past few years regarding POTY, or maybe its just a case that football is changing and there doesnt seem to be as many individuals shining as there was in previous years. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Canalman

Thought O'Carroll was a banker............. especially as he was very unlucky imo not to get one last year. Has yet to win an allstar and I hope this is rectified next year.
Apart from that not a bad selection with as usual lads unlucky to not get one.

INDIANA

Anyone who thinks Alan Brogan isnt all-star material based on performances this year knows f*** all about Gaelic Football in my view.

Foley was by far and way Kildare's best defender this year. Foley doesnt need a blanket defence in front of him to mark a player. A rare species in the modern game.

I thought Foley was absolutely outstanding this year.

AZOffaly

Wobbler, normally I put heed on things you say, but this

QuoteSheehan is a disgraceful decision. Kicking 60m frees is about as relevant to midfield play as how far you can throw an onion. Kerry got universally cleaned out at midfield this year any time Galvin wasn't on the field, and Sheehan was the main reason why.

Is off base. I was far from convinced by Sheehan as a midfielder at the start of the year, but I felt he did very well in that role. It was a far from stellar year for midfielders, and Sheehan was excellent against Cork, very good against Mayo and was one of Kerry's better players against Dublin. I think you are being overly harsh there.

heffo

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 28, 2011, 03:58:14 PM

QuoteSheehan is a disgraceful decision. Kicking 60m frees is about as relevant to midfield play as how far you can throw an onion. Kerry got universally cleaned out at midfield this year any time Galvin wasn't on the field, and Sheehan was the main reason why.

Is off base. I was far from convinced by Sheehan as a midfielder at the start of the year, but I felt he did very well in that role. It was a far from stellar year for midfielders, and Sheehan was excellent against Cork, very good against Mayo and was one of Kerry's better players against Dublin. I think you are being overly harsh there.

I thought Sheehan was consistent all year.

muppet

Quote from: heffo on October 28, 2011, 04:24:58 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 28, 2011, 03:58:14 PM

I thought Sheehan was consistent all year.

Kilkenny footballers are consistent too.  ;D
MWWSI 2017

donegal_abu

I know I'm  abit late but only new on here... well done to the three donegal lads :D Doing us proud up here once again ..... ;) thought murphy was unlucky .. and lacey was unluckey ot to be nominated for poty