Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Look-Up!

TC draw out. This was always our competition level so time to get into right frame and actually go out and win it. Wouldn't be over confident myself but we'll be there or thereabouts. We've got D2 status again, to win this bringing on new lads and playing a more positive brand would be decent progress for the year (starting to sound like a broken record at this stage). That's the most disappointing take from the Armagh match, wasn't expecting a different result but expected to have at least a cut at them at home. And despite gaining promotion with a fairly new look team but changing to a more familiar starting 15 in championship, you'd think we had no panel of note or any talent coming through by how we manage our bench. Can only imagine how players are feeling.

Itchy

James Smith gone from Cavan panel and playing with his club. What happened there?

Westside

Gaelic Life have it that it was work commitments. He's a loss overall but in fairness his form has been poor this year so his heart obviously hasn't been in it. Good opportunity for Jack McKenna or Donohoe to step up now and fill that role.

Itchy

That was a very depressing evening, in some ways more depressing than Armagh. So poor on the line and on the field. Hard to know where to even start.

marty34

Quote from: Itchy on June 18, 2023, 09:55:17 AM
That was a very depressing evening, in some ways more depressing than Armagh. So poor on the line and on the field. Hard to know where to even start.

Hard to see Graham staying on after that. He pushed things on but will be disappointed with how the Tailteann Cup panned out.

Itchy

Quote from: marty34 on June 18, 2023, 10:13:15 AM
Quote from: Itchy on June 18, 2023, 09:55:17 AM

Hard to see Graham staying on after that. He pushed things on but will be disappointed with how the Tailteann Cup panned out.

I think that is a given but the problem is how many players will leave with him

cavanmaniac

Cavan look like having a few wilderness years now. Graham will go, and on the basis of the flat, robotic performances in the championship games that matter, starting with the Tailteann Cup final, it's time he did. In hindsight, losing that final is an even bigger disaster that it even looked initially, psychologically as well as in Sam Maguire eligibility terms - totally blew their chance to undo the horrors of those league relegations that Graham must carry the can for too. The football against Armagh and Down was genuinely nauseating to sit through - repetitive, side shuffling from players totally bound by systems, tactics, patterns, whatever you want to call it, it'd give you a pain in your face. Just no cut and thrust whatsoever.

A few big names look like they've had enough at this stage and that's no surprise; lots of miles done and very little to show for it, bar one shining moment. We still have a few players coming through you'd imagine, how could we not with "the great work being done at all levels in Cavan" (yet we've won next to nothing for 50 years +). I'm not knocking the effort there, btw, just how it's channeled. Clearly a lot of investment is yielding very little return, or not enough considering what's being put in.

Grim times ahead methinks  :-[

Itchy

I'd agree with a lot of that but the one niggling worry I have is realistically who do we get to replace Graham? I think we need a Cavan man with the interests of Cavan gaa to the fore, not some mercenary in it for quick wins.

Look-Up!

There's probably not a whole pile of obvious candidates. But we clearly need a change, someone fully committed to the role who can develop this squad and preferably appointed before the club championship. An outside manager wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing as you'd imagine they should not have any loyalty to current players. Big changes are coming regardless. Hopefully if we get a decent candidate, the buy in to the squad will still be good. 
Thanks to Mickey for his efforts, a brilliant past player and 2020 was a great tonic to all Cavan people in what were dark times. Hasn't worked out unfortunately since. Pity because he's a great lad and passionate football man. He can go with his head held high and plenty of clubs will be keen of his services but I don't think IC management is for him. Doesn't utilise a large squad and puts his trust in too small of a player pool. I heard the lads on WAC recommending that he stays on for another 5 years but that would be disastrous IMO.

Cavan19

Quote from: Look-Up! on June 26, 2023, 01:13:40 PM
There's probably not a whole pile of obvious candidates. But we clearly need a change, someone fully committed to the role who can develop this squad and preferably appointed before the club championship. An outside manager wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing as you'd imagine they should not have any loyalty to current players. Big changes are coming regardless. Hopefully if we get a decent candidate, the buy in to the squad will still be good. 
Thanks to Mickey for his efforts, a brilliant past player and 2020 was a great tonic to all Cavan people in what were dark times. Hasn't worked out unfortunately since. Pity because he's a great lad and passionate football man. He can go with his head held high and plenty of clubs will be keen of his services but I don't think IC management is for him. Doesn't utilise a large squad and puts his trust in too small of a player pool. I heard the lads on WAC recommending that he stays on for another 5 years but that would be disastrous IMO.

I would agree on getting someone in before the club championships but i can't see it been that quick.

Are the WAC lads drinking buddies with Graham or what sort of back scratching is going on there?  I haven't heard anyone else in the county saying that he should stay on.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Cavan19 on June 26, 2023, 02:10:00 PM

I would agree on getting someone in before the club championships but i can't see it been that quick.

Are the WAC lads drinking buddies with Graham or what sort of back scratching is going on there?  I haven't heard anyone else in the county saying that he should stay on.
I'd imagine something like that. One of them was blaming the rain for the loss to Armagh before the last match. Hopefully nothing too dodgy going on behind the scenes because a change is needed. Seem to remember them commenting on commitment of players a while ago and poor turnout at training when reality was anything but. Very poor balance with them. Had a pop at Mattie not so long ago labelling his reign as "the lost years". Drawing with Kerry in Breffni and beating Mayo in Castlebar in front of bumper crowds! Plus getting back to Division 1 with a new look experimental squad. I wouldn't mind a bit of those years again.

You're probably right on appointment being later. If there is one that is. I've a nagging doubt he may not walk, and if he doesn't, I'm not sure he'll be pushed.

cavanmaniac

My first post may have come across a tad uncharitable to Graham, who I do think did a solid job overall especially in his first few years. In reality we're going back to square one with a big rebuild on now so how tantalising a prospect that might be to an outside manager is debatable. I think we'll appoint from within again which I prefer in the circumstances but I think one more year under Mickey might be one too many. It's all gone very stale.

Itchy

Quote from: Look-Up! on June 26, 2023, 02:50:43 PM

I'd imagine something like that. One of them was blaming the rain for the loss to Armagh before the last match. Hopefully nothing too dodgy going on behind the scenes because a change is needed. Seem to remember them commenting on commitment of players a while ago and poor turnout at training when reality was anything but. Very poor balance with them. Had a pop at Mattie not so long ago labelling his reign as "the lost years". Drawing with Kerry in Breffni and beating Mayo in Castlebar in front of bumper crowds! Plus getting back to Division 1 with a new look experimental squad. I wouldn't mind a bit of those years again.

You're probably right on appointment being later. If there is one that is. I've a nagging doubt he may not walk, and if he doesn't, I'm not sure he'll be pushed.

Things may be gone south under graham but Jesus don't try and tell me the Mcgleenan years were "fabulous" as the man himself might say. We were hopeless in championship under him and championship is where it's at.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Itchy on June 26, 2023, 05:37:23 PM

Things may be gone south under graham but Jesus don't try and tell me the Mcgleenan years were "fabulous" as the man himself might say. We were hopeless in championship under him and championship is where it's at.
I wasn't sorry to see Mattie go but if he had wanted to stay another year I wouldn't have objected. League performances were light years better under him and it's where you develop as a team. Championship is a lottery. We won a few games with him, lost to Tyrone, Monaghan, Donegal and Tipp(AI semi finalists year previously). Hardly awe inspiring but we were never hockeyed. If that was hopeless I don't know how to describe last 3 years.

Itchy

Quote from: Look-Up! on June 26, 2023, 07:15:29 PM
Quote from: Itchy on June 26, 2023, 05:37:23 PM

I wasn't sorry to see Mattie go but if he had wanted to stay another year I wouldn't have objected. League performances were light years better under him and it's where you develop as a team. Championship is a lottery. We won a few games with him, lost to Tyrone, Monaghan, Donegal and Tipp(AI semi finalists year previously). Hardly awe inspiring but we were never hockeyed. If that was hopeless I don't know how to describe last 3 years.

Wasnt just the losses, it was the manner of the losses. Graham tenure has gone downhill in 3 years (I like how you limited the review to 3 yrs for some reason) however he did make 2 ulster finals, a Tailteann final and league finals. He won 1 ulster, 1 Div 4 and 1 Div 3 title. Not great but way ahead of McGleenan. Its funny when you do well in championship Cavan fans will moan about the league performances and when you do well in the league they will moan about the championship.