Tailteann Cup 2023

Started by Laoiseabu, May 01, 2023, 02:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Countyminor

Hopefully we actually have something resembling a defensive plan for Saturday, although I wouldn't hold my breath. We need to stick as tight as possible for the first half, not go foolhardy like last time and get blown out of the water after 4 minutes.

Why Billy persists with the same modus operandi every time is a bit strange to see the least. Personally, I would like to see a few positional switches, namely Rob Piggott and Paddy O'Sullivan in particular back in the half back line, where they play at club level. Sean O'Flynn's best qualities are the stickiness of his defending. I get he offers some pace and occasional surging runs from deep, but he doesn't offer much of a shooting threat. I don't see why he couldn't be tried in at full back given we leak goals like a veteran ship taking water.

Not sure Damon Larkin's best position is midfield either. Ciaran Burke was one of the best midfielders in the county last year and can't get a look in! Just a bit of experimentation Billy, that's all I ask. Not like we've anything to lose at this point anyways.

Gmac

Quote from: Laoiseabu on May 11, 2023, 11:20:26 PM
Quote from: Gmac on May 11, 2023, 10:51:19 PM
I have a bad feeling about this hope I'm wrong.

A bad feeling about which ? This Cavan game ? Or the Tailteann cup itself ?
this game and the competition

Unlaoised

Quote from: Countyminor on May 11, 2023, 11:42:34 PM
Hopefully we actually have something resembling a defensive plan for Saturday, although I wouldn't hold my breath. We need to stick as tight as possible for the first half, not go foolhardy like last time and get blown out of the water after 4 minutes.

Why Billy persists with the same modus operandi every time is a bit strange to see the least. Personally, I would like to see a few positional switches, namely Rob Piggott and Paddy O'Sullivan in particular back in the half back line, where they play at club level. Sean O'Flynn's best qualities are the stickiness of his defending. I get he offers some pace and occasional surging runs from deep, but he doesn't offer much of a shooting threat. I don't see why he couldn't be tried in at full back given we leak goals like a veteran ship taking water.

Not sure Damon Larkin's best position is midfield either. Ciaran Burke was one of the best midfielders in the county last year and can't get a look in! Just a bit of experimentation Billy, that's all I ask. Not like we've anything to lose at this point anyways.

Surprised Finn is not starting after recovering from injury he was decent early in the league when we won a few games and adds size against a big Cavan team around the middle.
LAOIS ABÚ

on the hop

the team looks to have undergone serious surgery if the rumours are to be believed, does anybody know how the challenge matches went for the supposed radical changes?

Spiritof86

Quote from: on the hop on May 12, 2023, 10:11:01 PM
the team looks to have undergone serious surgery if the rumours are to be believed, does anybody know how the challenge matches went for the supposed radical changes?

Heard the opposite while at the Stradbally and Port match earlier .

Laoiseabu

Are you saying there could be a good few changes to the starting team tomorrow?

Tier2

Highly doubtful the 20s whom came in all played club fixtures last night.

This competition was made to develop players it'll be a shame if game Time isn't given to a few of the usual starting 15

on the hop

So the rumours were true, numerous changes and every line changed, new keeper, Lacey corner back , Finn midfield , Doyle full forward

Countyminor

Tough playing against 16 men here

Countyminor

I must have watched this back at least 10 times now. Can anyone explain what the penalty is for here?

https://twitter.com/officialgaa/status/1657408006567481346?s=46&t=Ancne6dv6V-4IoF20RwI7w

Smellyball

5times5times

Does Sheehan intend every game to embarrass us and p1ss off all around him? Giving us laois folk a bad rap with his antics.

Tier2

Quote from: 5times5times on May 13, 2023, 11:30:07 PM
Does Sheehan intend every game to embarrass us and p1ss off all around him? Giving us laois folk a bad rap with his antics.
This is par for the course unfortunately.

County Man

A lot of positives to be taken out of yesterday.

The first half and in particular the first 20 minutes was some of the best football Laois have played in the last couple of years. Sublime scores from Mark Barry, Kieran Lillis, Padraig Kirwan, Paul Kingston and Evan O'Carroll who caused the Cavan defence a rake of problems and took a brilliant goal early on.

Speaking of defence, that was the most pleasing during the first half. Clearly a lot of work has been done in this regard since Dublin 3 weeks ago and it showed. Well organised, good tacking, a couple of great blocks against a Cavan team who are favourites for the Tailteann and a lot of them have Ulster titles to their name. Roche was excellent in the first half with good kickouts. Also, there was no way that was a penalty for Cavan, was never a footblock.

In fairness, Cavan dominated the 3rd quater of the game. They pushed up on our kickouts and we couldn't get hold of the ball. But we made them earn their scores, most of them were excellent shots from way out the park. Bare in mind that Cavan ran Armagh to 5 points a few weeks ago in the Ulster championship.

We showed great character and resolve to fight back from 9 points down to bring it back to 5 at 1-18 to 1-13 and we had momentum then. An effort fell into the keeper's hands then which would have brought it back to 4 but Cavan then went up and scored a great score to make the margin 6 points. Lads ran themselves into the ground and there was no shortage of desire. A late Cavan goal in injury time wrapped it up.

The lads have restored pride in the jersey and there should be a buzz in training as we get ready for Offaly next Saturday.

georgedoylesrightleg

ur the sort o fella who sees evry rainbow