O’Byrne Cup 2023

Started by Ballybrittas Boy, December 01, 2022, 04:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCFC

Quote from: High Fielder on January 06, 2023, 07:44:04 PM
Most of those have had a go.
Have they? I don't remember any of them on a Laois senior squad except possibly Tyrrell. And you're right, if they've been asked and turned it down, no loss. But I don't know if that's the case.
Anyway, we have who we have. No point speculating now with the league 3 weeks away

High Fielder

I don't like singling lads out but guaranteed two have been on a panel and the others all asked at least. They don't want to be there. Their choice I suppose

Spiritof86

There was over 45 lads requested in for training with the county in December.  Work that one out . We simply have to work with what we have . Clearly the interest in representing your county is clearly not what it was for a variety of reasons.

BallyroanAbu

Or they voted with their feet

redsetanta

Decent result today.

Lack of goals would be a concern because we're not keeping them out!
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Tier2

Close enough to a starting team with a few obvious exceptions.
Hopefully a strong team goes out against Carlow who got a trimming from Longford on Wednesday.
Evan o Carrol was extremely lively and effective dropped into the middle to collect a few as well.
Far More positive thankfully

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: redsetanta on January 07, 2023, 04:07:50 PM
Decent result today.

Lack of goals would be a concern because we're not keeping them out!

Here we go

Tony

Good performace today. I live near Navan so I said I'd have a look. Was decently impressed. Evan O C the top performer. It's a pity that we don't have everybody involved, but once the 15 lads on the pitch try their best for the jersey, that's as much as I want to see to be honest. And while we're at it - we're not exactly a sleeping giant are we? 0 all irelands and 1 leinster in the last many many years. I think we have to temper our expectations a bit. When were we last a good side in the top tier? 20 years ago. Some lads from counties such as Laois have to work outside the county. It's not exclusive to Laois that lads aren't committing. But I think a discussion about the hours it takes to train with a county side is one for another day.

Go with what we have and the lads who want to be there deserve our support. Good showing today. I see us getting out of Div 4 as we have enough talent to do that. Beyond that, probably a short summer but when is it not, really. Once we show passion for the jersey, I'm going to support that.

on the hop

first time to see the team live this year. wasn't a bad game, ref let a bit of edge in it which helped. gale of a wind  straight down the pitch made it tough at times. both seemed more comfortable against it as it allowed them to put the ball through the hands and use runners, its a pity more long kicking wasn't used as there was space inside at times. meath started with the wind but for some reason would not shoot to the annoyance of their crowd. when they did, a lot of wides and drop shorts, we were doing ok but there scores came from our mistakes especially the goal.we seemed to have problems generally tracking runners and they overloaded a lot on the wings. We  came into it well in the last 15 minutes of the half when evan in particular kicked some great scores from frees especially and play. We really slowed the game down at this time. thought we were more economical with our shooting.

i was hoping after half time with the strong wind and that they were far more experimental than us that we would pull ahead of them. they were well on top of us for most of this half, again the hand passing and running game suited them and we couldn't win a ball in midfield. a bit of indiscipline in the backs which possibly was down to the fitness of players didn't help conceding soft frees. there was a period of a lot of changes and meath probably thought they were over the line but the subs we brought in had a bit more zip and we kicked the last few points to get an unlikely draw.

a bit of work to do before the league, todays team barring injuries is probably the league starting team. osborne will probably be the keeper, i think Piggott is wasted in the corner and he looked to go over on his knee, collins will probably stay at full, greene is a battler but i don't know whether he is a corner man. not a great day for the half back line, the positioning of timmons was baffling so deep, his man was an outlet most times, both wing men had there moments but are not the greatest markers. midfield will probably see lillis and finn as unfortunately damon larkin looked like a hamstring which was a pity as he offered mobility, young doyle has a good bit to go to be considered an option. in fairness swayne did a lot of work but i don't think he is a midfielder. the forwards at times were sluggish, i would prefer o sullivan in the backs but evan was probably the most consistent doing a lot of work. bar walker who brought a bit of zip it looks like the same set of forwards mostly last year, colm murphy i think is a more central player than been in the corner isolated.

in the end 16 points is a good score as we mostly are around 12 scores in the last few years, again goals or even goal chances are a problem. as i said good bit of work to do before the league and hopefully the injuries aren't too bad before the difficult opener in sligo.

Spiritof86

Laois team V Carlow

1 – Conor Brown (Portlaoise)
2 – Seamus Lacey (Ballylinan)
3 – Trevor Collins (Graiguecullen)
4 – Alex Mohan (Portarlington)
5 – Padraig Kirwan (Emo)
6 – Robbie Pigott (Portarlington)
7 – Dylan Kavanagh (The Heath)
8 – Kieran Lillis (Portlaoise)
9 – Ciaran Burke (Crettyard)
10 – Cathal Doyle (Ballyroan-Abbey)
11 – Paul Kingston (Arles-Killeen)
12 – Kevin Swayne (Portlaoise)
13 – Niall Corbet (Clonaslee-St Manman's)
14 – Brian Daly (St Joseph's)
15 – Lee Walker (Graiguecullen)

Spiritof86

Match OFF tonight . Pitch unplayable

Tier2

The game between Laois and Carlow was initially postponed from Wednesday evening to the weekend due to weather conditions.

The latest O'Byrne Cup cancellation leaves Laois without an opponent for their last game in the competition.

Carlow were due to play Billy Sheehan's footballers in Stradbally on Wednesday until the game was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Today Leinster GAA were notified that Carlow were unable to fulfil the fixture due to "Sigerson Cup commitments, injuries and sickness ".

The game will now, not take place.

Laois' first game of their division four league campaign will them making the trip to Markievicz Park to take on Sligo.

Spiritof86

Hear there playing Kildare in a challenge match next week .

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: Spiritof86 on January 12, 2023, 03:33:55 PM
Hear there playing Kildare in a challenge match next week .

Any idea where that game will take place?
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Spiritof86