The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonadmad

Quote from: Jd on March 14, 2023, 11:27:47 PM
What you say actually confirms what I said. There isn't the appetite in the traditional football clubs for hurling because there are not enough "hurling people" in these clubs. The football people don't care enough to try to develop it further and while I can't speak for all clubs I can honestly say that I have never seen anyone actively try to prevent hurling. It's not protests which kill hurling in the football areas but more apathy. Its the same as football in hurling areas. Unless a hurling person "blows in" to a football area or vice versa then it'll never start up much less grow. I love hurling but am from a football area. My young fella brings his hurl to school cos I almost bully him to but he himself has said there's more of the lads playing football so he'll l play that with his club

Most Hurling Clubs play Football at Juvenile and at some level at Adult Level

Football Clubs bar 1 or 2 exceptions dont play any Hurling whatsoever

SpeculativeEffort

Quote from: clonadmad on March 20, 2023, 01:35:37 PM
Quote from: Jd on March 14, 2023, 11:27:47 PM
What you say actually confirms what I said. There isn't the appetite in the traditional football clubs for hurling because there are not enough "hurling people" in these clubs. The football people don't care enough to try to develop it further and while I can't speak for all clubs I can honestly say that I have never seen anyone actively try to prevent hurling. It's not protests which kill hurling in the football areas but more apathy. Its the same as football in hurling areas. Unless a hurling person "blows in" to a football area or vice versa then it'll never start up much less grow. I love hurling but am from a football area. My young fella brings his hurl to school cos I almost bully him to but he himself has said there's more of the lads playing football so he'll l play that with his club

Most Hurling Clubs play Football at Juvenile and at some level at Adult Level

Football Clubs bar 1 or 2 exceptions dont play any Hurling whatsoever

This is true and we often have club officers tell us that "this is a 'football' area" and decide that nobody in the area wants to play hurling. An example would be if hurling coaching was offered to a primary school through a GDA. Often a club officer would say 'ah there wouldn't be any interest in that here.' So a 50-60 Yr old club officer decides that a whole class/school has no interest in hurling without even letting them try it or asking them. This happens. If you think otherwise you are naive.

clonadmad

Quote from: Jd on March 16, 2023, 04:28:09 PM
There is indeed an underage setup but no adult. He doesn't play with the club as he prefers football....... Football area

and theres the mentality and root of the problem right there

its like as if parts of the county are walled off to hurling

Jd

But sure its true. There are distinct football and hurling areas.in Laois and people on here saying that football clubs should be pushing hurling at underage are living in a dreamworld. If the appetite is there then of course let kids play hurling but to say that there's suddenly going the be a big uptake of hurling in stradbally or ballylinan is just wrong no more than saying that Ballacolla are suddenly going to be a football superpower. Kids will pick whatever sport is big in a certain area and to excell at a sport then sometimes clubs and players just have to concentrate on one

clonadmad

Quote from: Jd on March 21, 2023, 11:03:12 AM
But sure its true. There are distinct football and hurling areas.in Laois and people on here saying that football clubs should be pushing hurling at underage are living in a dreamworld. If the appetite is there then of course let kids play hurling but to say that there's suddenly going the be a big uptake of hurling in stradbally or ballylinan is just wrong no more than saying that Ballacolla are suddenly going to be a football superpower. Kids will pick whatever sport is big in a certain area and to excell at a sport then sometimes clubs and players just have to concentrate on one

all the Hurling Clubs have Football Teams at varying levels but at the least they do play Football

Can the same be said for Stradbally or Josephs or the vast vast majority of the "Football" Clubs?

Should the Hurling Clubs do as you say then and boot out football completely and concentrate solely on Hurling?

Laois man

Best of luck to the U20 hurlers tomorrow night Kildare. Not a bad team on paper but it won't be easy get a win kildare are a good outfit.

Laois man

Good win for the U20s tonight well done.

Zooming around

I couldn't get to it but Christ that was an awful hammering for our minors. I know Galway are good but 30 points is a desperate beating.

burdizzo

Good chance the minors will lose to Antrim next weekend, too, and if I'm not mistaken, that'll leave them out of the championship altogether by Easter! Between the two games, 21 different players have started - and very few of them in the same position. Maybe they know their best 15 for the Antrim game.

Ogie

We are gone so far backward in the last few years at academy squad level, minor down, with last year being an exceptional minor team.

It's back to the days of lads who can't get a job in the clubs putting their hand up for academy coaching roles, being left without any guidance and picking their club players,

No pathway or targets being set or delivered, we desperately need a good director of hurling with vision and knowledge of how to deliver, is this the hurling boards job to implement / deliver ?

georgedoylesrightleg

not sure wat it says wen our minor manager is doin tv commentries for u20 football games in the middle o championship.

SpeculativeEffort

Quote from: georgedoylesrightleg on April 04, 2023, 12:17:32 PM
not sure wat it says wen our minor manager is doin tv commentries for u20 football games in the middle o championship.

Did he miss any of his commitments (training sessions or matches) to the minor team? If not, he is a volunteer (who puts huge time into the minor hurlers) he is entitled to spend his free time any way he chooses. A ridiculous,  personal  and petty comment.

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: georgedoylesrightleg on April 04, 2023, 12:17:32 PM
Can't see the problem to be honest. Surely he's entitled to do whatever he wants in his spare time?
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

burdizzo

Fair play to the minors, beating Antrim today. I must say, I didn't think they would. Leaves them with a preliminary quarter-final against Kildare, and hopefully they'll negotiate that hurdle successfully, too.

Saffrongael

Quote from: burdizzo on April 07, 2023, 09:20:32 PM
Fair play to the minors, beating Antrim today. I must say, I didn't think they would. Leaves them with a preliminary quarter-final against Kildare, and hopefully they'll negotiate that hurdle successfully, too.

They were well ahead by about 8 or 9 but Antrim levelled it with about 5 to go
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come