Armagh v Mayo March 3

Started by onefaircounty, February 18, 2012, 05:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onefaircounty

No Cross boys anyway, well done today.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mackin and McKeever play.

Team, as of now, i'd like to see.

McEvoy

Mallon Donaghy McKenna
Duffy Dyas Finn Mo

Vernon Lavery

Forker Mallon Duffy
Rafferty McParland McVerry

spuds

Armagh v Mayo, Athletic Grounds, Armagh, 3rd March 2012 (7pm)

Looking forward to seeing the refurb at the Athletic grounds, love these saturday night games. Be interesting to see how Mayo line out for this.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Farrandeelin

It will be interesting to see if Mayo can start off all guns blazing for a change! If they can, then great (hopefully), if not I fear Armagh will win with home advantage. Great it's a Saturday evening game as well. How is BJP getting on with Armagh?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

AFS

Padden is a decent panel player. He's probably had spells in every line since coming on board, but it's as a roaming FF that he looks most effective. I'd like to think that there are a handful of better options for the #14 jersey, so he may be reduced to appearances from the bench going forward. He's not a bad fella to bring on and keep a hold of the ball if you're protecting a lead, as we were last weekend down in Kerry.

The team in the OP looks reasonable if we're going to be missing the two Cullyhanna boys. Kingham will probably get another run, hopefully at FF rather than midfield. Would like to see Stefan Campbell get a start after his impressive McKenna Cup displays. Rafferty will do well to hold onto his jersey, didn't do a lot in the Kerry game other than supply an excellent pass for the first goal. Have a feeling Mayo could hand us a dose of reality. After two (well, one and a half) impressive televised displays, there's little chance of them taking us lightly. McKeever and Mackin would be very big losses too given their current form.

Captain Obvious

Beat them in Castlebar last year and will be disheartening not to win this after the Kerry,Cork results.

Tubberman

Hoping to make the trip to Armagh. Never been to a match there, looking forward to it.
A big test for Mayo, but I think they'll relish it. There was a fair bit of criticism after the half-match against the Dubs, and I think they'll be going all out to show that they're a serious team.
There are still a fair few positions to be sorted on the Mayo team - the likes of Cillian O'Connor, Andy Moran and Aidan O'Shea haven't had much of a run yet this year.
Armagh are a very different team from the usual Mayo teams of recent years - they are big, physical and direct. But Mayo are moving more in that direction under Horan, so will be very interesting to see how it pans out.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

AFS

Quote from: Captain Obvious on February 18, 2012, 10:18:42 PM
Beat them in Castlebar last year and will be disheartening not to win this after the Kerry,Cork results.

Would be hesitant to read anything into last year's game. Mayo were dreadful that day, by a distance the worst team Armagh faced in last year's league. But they had a new manager on board who seemed to be playing about with a few things. Their later displays demonstrated that they were capable of much better, and I reckon their championship team would've coped with ours had we met. Wouldn't be too concerned with a defeat provided the likes of Forker and Duffy continue to show up well.

Etienne Lantier

Quote from: spuds on February 18, 2012, 07:07:23 PM
Armagh v Mayo, Athletic Grounds, Armagh, 3rd March 2012 (7pm)

Looking forward to seeing the refurb at the Athletic grounds, love these saturday night games. Be interesting to see how Mayo line out for this.

You won't be disappointed with the Athletic Grounds, it really is a superb venue now. I'd put money on Billie Joe starting for this one after last year's performance. Red Ned's in Ogle street for your pre-match pints, see ye there;)

Ulick

Quote from: onefaircounty on February 18, 2012, 05:55:20 PM

Those two boys are the leaders and play-makers of that team at the moment, if they don't play I can't see us getting anything. Would be interesting all the same to see who'd take the opportunity to step up in their absence.

Orangemac

Quote from: Ulick on February 19, 2012, 12:30:02 AM
Quote from: onefaircounty on February 18, 2012, 05:55:20 PM

Those two boys are the leaders and play-makers of that team at the moment, if they don't play I can't see us getting anything. Would be interesting all the same to see who'd take the opportunity to step up in their absence.
While these two have ben outstanding in both games so far, it will be interesting to see how the team copes without them. The bigger picture is having a settled 1st 15 to give Tyrone a rattle come the summer and 1 more win should be enough to stay in Div 1.

Lar Naparka

I hope to make it to the game and I'd appreciate some directions from someone who knows how to get to the grounds.
I'm based in Dublin and will be using the motorway. I can get onto Newry by-pass okay and I suppose I should turn off onto the A28 but I'm not sure after that.
Where do I go after that?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Armagh CĂșchulainns

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 19, 2012, 12:44:55 PM
I hope to make it to the game and I'd appreciate some directions from someone who knows how to get to the grounds.
I'm based in Dublin and will be using the motorway. I can get onto Newry by-pass okay and I suppose I should turn off onto the A28 but I'm not sure after that.
Where do I go after that?

Come off at the A28,
Armagh is 20mileish ahead, just keep to the main road going past Markethill on your left about 8mile from Armagh,
When in Armagh follow the main road the hill down to the sets of traffic lights, there is a car park in front of you,
Keep in the left lane signed for Monaghan/Killylea,
Go past Armagh City Hotel on your left,
After the next set of traffic lights there is a slip road 100m to your left,
At the bottom of the slip way the ground is behind the Mc Anerneys Shop and there is an official car park about 150m to the left of the slipway in the Christian Brothers Primary School.
Its all about the Hurling.

Jinxy

Should this not be in the Division 1 thread?  ???
If you were any use you'd be playing.

onefaircounty

Apologies Jinxy, just thought there were enough Mayo and Armagh posters for a thread. Mods can merge it in if they wish.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: AFS on February 18, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on February 18, 2012, 10:18:42 PM

Would be hesitant to read anything into last year's game. Mayo were dreadful that day, by a distance the worst team Armagh faced in last year's league. But they had a new manager on board who seemed to be playing about with a few things. Their later displays demonstrated that they were capable of much better, and I reckon their championship team would've coped with ours had we met. Wouldn't be too concerned with a defeat provided the likes of Forker and Duffy continue to show up well.
I know what your saying sure Wicklow almost beat Armagh.