Laois Minor Football 2020

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, January 03, 2020, 10:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

on the hop

Good win for the minors. Next day against Meath will probably give us a better idea on how good they are but there was a bit of size and pace to the team. These are the sort of players we have to get right if we are to progress at all

Butch Cassidy

That's great to hear On the Hop. Big score put up and little given away too, so good day at the office. What brand of football did Bates go with? Meath will be a step up but shouldn't have anything to fear

Blow-in

One of the commentators spent the game talking about the mothers and fathers of all the players

town1980

We should have a Laois man over us simple as

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Helix.

Unlucky with Laois. Lost to a decent Meath side. They seemed to hold the ball much better than we did and got scores far easier. Seemed to force the ball too much long and on occasions passing to one Laois player with 3-4 Meath players. Hopefully this bunch will improve with 20s and add few to senior ranks in few years. That referee wasn't hectic either Meath seemed to barge charging into Laois players and win frees!

GoZonal66

Unlucky? They never looked like winning this game.

Observations:

1. Laois played with 11 players behind the ball.
2. Zero work had been done on transitional play. They carried the ball forward aimlessly with support players offering neither width nor depth.
3. Aside from aimlessly carrying the ball up the middle of the field, Laois often restored to kicking hopeless ball into an isolated and very well 1/2 man FF line.
4. Laois wing forwards were instructed to drop off their men. Meath's no 7 Ciaran Caulfield was directly involved in 6 scores.
5. No attempt at addressing these issues during the three breaks during this game.
6. Laois's record under current management. Loss v Offaly in the League. Win v a poor Carlow team. Well beaten by Meath.
7. 14 of the 15 players that started today's game are up to the age.
8. Where were all the Ballyroan lads???

Well done Mike Henchy. This team could have had Noel Coss or Cillian Fitz over them. Men who have coaching qualifications one and are both hugely successful.
Henchy spoke about not being able to get coaches from Laois in with them.... I wonder why?

BallyroanAbu

This was the best Laois Minor Team in years, messed about all the way through.  I could say more but I feel disappointed for them.   Completely messed about

Silkyskillssunshinee

One of the posters above made a good point about the lack of Ballyroan Abbey lads. Only one player from their Minor panel deemed good enough to start? Doesn't make much sense to me.

This crop have potential to challenge for Leinster honours at U-20 level in a couple of years but ONLY if they receive proper coaching and there is a S&C plan in place for them to individually develop. Unfortunately, I'd say most will be cast aside for the next few years.

Keyser Söze

In both codes we are failing badly post minor/pre U20. We always have. This is where small counties like ourselves can maximize what we have.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

clonadmad

I presume the Meath lads  have a few years of Athletic development and S&C under their belts,we weren't lacking in football but very underpowered in comparison to them