Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosskarr

Quote from: Truth hurts on May 30, 2022, 09:12:52 AM
Derry shows what buy-in from clubs can bring to the county. I do think we have every bit as talented as Derry but the commitment shown to Gallagher shows what can happen. For a club with Kilcoos history, it's a shame they have no intercounty All-Ireland Senior football medalists and I think maybe only James Morgan (1971) is their only Ulster intercounty medalist. I do think we have the footballers in this county to challenge for an Ulster title but we can't have anyone outside looking in, we need everyone at the party.
What current Down player would get on the Derry team ?

6th sam

Derry shows what buy-in from clubs can bring to the county. I do think we have every bit as talented as Derry but the commitment shown to Gallagher shows what can happen. For a club with Kilcoos history, it's a shame they have no intercounty All-Ireland Senior football medalists and I think maybe only James Morgan (1971) is their only Ulster intercounty medalist. I do think we have the footballers in this county to challenge for an Ulster title but we can't have anyone outside looking in, we need everyone at the party.

Interesting points. It's ok saying we are every bit as talented as Derry but in reality , when they were dipping down to division 4, they developed a serious underage production line , during an era when we only qualified for 1 underage final in 13 years.they also struggled at senior level when sleachtnéil were focussed on club. Now when the sleachtnéil men are able to  concentrate on county , look what's happening. Down can mirror this approach , I'd be confident Kilcoo will help lead Down out of the doldrums , but the focus must be serious work and resources put into underage , whilst trying to harness those senior players in this county with the attitude and humility to realise there's serious work to be done. In the midst of that environment, marquee players will emerge but the approach must be:
1. Underage development
2. Resource optimisation
3. Humility to realise how low we are
4. "Winning" Character development amongst existing and future players
5. Athletic optimisation

Slagging off players , management and county board isn't part of that plan. Derry turned it around through unity not bickering .

We can do the same

Mourne Red

Quote from: 6th sam on May 30, 2022, 09:54:21 AM

Interesting points. It's ok saying we are every bit as talented as Derry but in reality , when they were dipping down to division 4, they developed a serious underage production line , during an era when we only qualified for 1 underage final in 13 years.they also struggled at senior level when sleachtnéil were focussed on club. Now when the sleachtnéil men are able to  concentrate on county , look what's happening. Down can mirror this approach , I'd be confident Kilcoo will help lead Down out of the doldrums , but the focus must be serious work and resources put into underage , whilst trying to harness those senior players in this county with the attitude and humility to realise there's serious work to be done. In the midst of that environment, marquee players will emerge but the approach must be:
1. Underage development
2. Resource optimisation
5. Athletic optimisation

Slagging off players , management and county board isn't part of that plan. Derry turned it around through unity not bickering .

We can do the same

Derry bickered and get rid of most of their county board did they not?

Truth hurts

1. Underage development
2. Resource optimisation
5. Athletic optimisation

We can do the same

A massive problem is a control in the hierarchy though, we gave the minor management a job over Walsh/Linden not due to CV's but due to what the management would demand from the county executive level. I think that there also would be a fear factor with the Laverty ticket as he would also demand a lot from the men and women in charge. But I think thats that's what we need and an expectation to change things.
Go back through the Derry discussion board and see what the dinosaurs thought of Rory Gallagher at the beginning and shortly into his tenure. We need stability and a new culture within.

Truth hurts

Quote from: Mourne Red on May 30, 2022, 10:04:29 AM

1. Underage development
2. Resource optimisation
5. Athletic optimisation

We can do the same

If you have someone in mind for the county board will you please forward their nomination to the county convention at the end of the year, this crap about getting rid of the top maddens me. If people want to change it then nominate themselves or other persons. Its very easy to run for election for a county position. I just haven't seen many ballots at convention in the past number of years. We have very capable administrators in place and a few tweaks is all is needed.

BigRipper89

The attack on some down players as prim donnas is harsh by my call because they go out after losing a game (which all team sports do) . Lads who have turned out for down this year training from early December, driving the length of the country. Down had about 200 supporters travelled on Saturday, some support for them boys busting a gut out there and getting nothing but abuse for it.

Only 2 teams will win something this year in Ireland, Down will be amongst the other 32 counties that end up empty handed when the season closes. Not a great year by any stretch but its done and can only improve next year. Lets hope the management problem is sorted ASAP and we wont be starting behind everyone else.

Down are short on quality at the moment. Donal O Hare, 3 Jonstones, Ross Mc Garry, Millar, Clements, Etc Etc these sorts of players and im sure all clubs could name 1 player that would seriously improve the down squad. The next manager must be able to attract these players. 

Mourne Red

Quote from: Truth hurts on May 30, 2022, 10:14:30 AM

1. Underage development
2. Resource optimisation
5. Athletic optimisation

We can do the same

If you have someone in mind for the county board will you please forward their nomination to the county convention at the end of the year, this crap about getting rid of the top maddens me. If people want to change it then nominate themselves or other persons. Its very easy to run for election for a county position. I just haven't seen many ballots at convention in the past number of years. We have very capable administrators in place and a few tweaks is all is needed.

Your post before this one was you literally complaining about the County Board gobshite 🙄 so you think we should reward them and let them keep doing what they're doing and appointing the wrong candidates over youth teams or getting rid of the right man when they're in charge

Truth hurts

Quote from: Mourne Red on May 30, 2022, 10:25:48 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on May 30, 2022, 10:14:30 AM

1. Underage development
2. Resource optimisation
5. Athletic optimisation

We can do the same

Your post before this one was you literally complaining about the County Board gobshite 🙄 so you think we should reward them and let them keep doing what they're doing and appointing the wrong candidates over youth teams or getting rid of the right man when they're in charge

A few tweaks to the executive are all that's needed and it's up to the club to change it, they have the power and can nominate people. Our games are run well by the CCC for a large part and our finances are in a far better place than they were 10 years ago. Our coaching and athletic development could improve and that would mean access to secondary school squads, I have said it for years that our coaches are being subsituted as PE teachers in primary schools.

Truth hurts

Onto the club scene:

What has happened in Carryduff, are they missing players? They need to start picking up points.

A big point for Rostrevor over Burren, I heard whimpers that the Burren supporters are getting frustrated at the defensive football they are playing which is not suited to their players. But they have an array of talent back this weekend and will comfortably make the top 4 along with Kilcoo, Mayobridge and Clonduff. With these four teams having been drawn against each other in the opening fixture in the championship, I can't see these games carrying much weight. The bottom 8 games will be where the action is at and there will be some great games.

Divison 2 is a great division with only 6 points separating relation and promotion so two wins or two defeats could pull you anywhere.

The second promotion spot in divison 3 is going to be a battle , Shamrocks look home and hosed.

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: Truth hurts on May 30, 2022, 12:29:09 PM
Onto the club scene:

What has happened in Carryduff, are they missing players? They need to start picking up points.

A big point for Rostrevor over Burren, I heard whimpers that the Burren supporters are getting frustrated at the defensive football they are playing which is not suited to their players. But they have an array of talent back this weekend and will comfortably make the top 4 along with Kilcoo, Mayobridge and Clonduff. With these four teams having been drawn against each other in the opening fixture in the championship, I can't see these games carrying much weight. The bottom 8 games will be where the action is at and there will be some great games.

Divison 2 is a great division with only 6 points separating relation and promotion so two wins or two defeats could pull you anywhere.

The second promotion spot in divison 3 is going to be a battle , Shamrocks look home and hosed.

Carryduff had a lot of lads on the county panel at one point under Paddy Tally.
Had they as many this season?

PAULD123

Sorry to ask what is probably a silly question but are the leagues only one round. In particular I was wondering about underage football. The current fixture list on Down GAA website says the all the teams will have played each other once by 26th June. Is that the season over for the wee lads or has a second round of fixtures to be yet released?

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: PAULD123 on May 30, 2022, 04:47:54 PM
Sorry to ask what is probably a silly question but are the leagues only one round. In particular I was wondering about underage football. The current fixture list on Down GAA website says the all the teams will have played each other once by 26th June. Is that the season over for the wee lads or has a second round of fixtures to be yet released?
Is that U11s or 13s? I know for the 11s they were planning to split the leagues and run more fixtures from there.

Johnnysboys

Onto[[/b] the club scene:

Burren folk are going mad. Lads not getting football with seniors and not allowed to play for reserves etc. it's a calamity. Long May it continue.

Truth hurts

Quote from: Johnnysboys on May 30, 2022, 05:23:16 PM

Burren folk are going mad. Lads not getting football with seniors and not allowed to play for reserves etc. it's a calamity. Long May it continue.

I doubt its a calamity and I wouldnt bet against them challenging for honours in the big 4 championships

rosskarr

Quote from: Truth hurts on May 31, 2022, 10:00:23 AM
Quote from: Johnnysboys on May 30, 2022, 05:23:16 PM

I doubt its a calamity and I wouldnt bet against them challenging for honours in the big 4 championships
Big 4?