Davy Byrne

Started by The Hill is Blue, July 08, 2015, 09:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teo Lurley

The original report of the Armagh player just attacking the Dub was in the herald?
No other comments from the Dublin county board or managment about this?

I think everyone can tell that the story in the papers is a pack of lies.

yellowcard

Don't believe all you hear. This match was played 6 days ago and this has suddenly come into the public domain 3 days before an Armagh match. More character assassination on the Armagh team. If the injuries are exactly as stated then its unfortunate and cannot be condoned but until anyone confirms exactly what happened it is all mere speculation to jump to conclusions. 

heffo

Quote from: yellowcard on July 08, 2015, 10:08:02 AM
Don't believe all you hear. This match was played 6 days ago and this has suddenly come into the public domain 3 days before an Armagh match.

It's been in the public domain since last weekend

general_lee

Did anyone here actually witness it? It's a bad doing whatever way you look at.

Hard to imagine those kind of injuries being picked up in a genuine tackle.
Quote from: screenexile on July 08, 2015, 10:02:10 AM
Surely somebody on here was at the match?

It wouldn't surprise me if one of the Armagh lads did do something to lay down a marker but look we've no proof.

How did the game go anyway?
Apparently Dublin won by 3. A few Armagh men play club football in Dublin with one already having his name plastered on the official county board forum  ::)

squire_in_navy_slacks

Interesting times................................regardless of sledging and verbals, the violence perpetrated on the day is sickening, its no coincidence that Mc Geeney is highly involved in mma, and the guy from armagh involved in the scuffle is also involved in mma at a high level, thug of the highest order and raises questions over how mcgeeney conducts business and the message he sends to his players

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on July 08, 2015, 10:47:00 AM
Interesting times................................regardless of sledging and verbals, the violence perpetrated on the day is sickening, its no coincidence that Mc Geeney is highly involved in mma, and the guy from armagh involved in the scuffle is also involved in mma at a high level, thug of the highest order and raises questions over how mcgeeney conducts business and the message he sends to his players

Were you at the game?  I doubt it as you don't even know who was in the row. The fact that there will be no sanctions shows 2 things. No one saw it or is at minimum prepared to say anything and secondly the Dublin CB do not want to open a hornets nest by pushing it as they know themselves that Byrne is not whiter than white here.

gander

McGeeney isnt involved in MMA, he's involved in brazilian jiu jitsu, which is grappling and not striking.

LeoMc

Quote from: SimonSays on July 08, 2015, 09:36:32 AM
how can there be a fair crowd at a behind closed door match?
Did you never see the Dublin backroom team?

highorlow

"Before Throw-In" could mean it happened in the car park.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

sligoman

Football is nowhere near as violent as it once was. You can't risk striking today due to potential suspensions and legal proceedings. I wonder if Colm O'Rourke would be pleased to hear about this lad's injury after he was moaning about the way players don't hit each other anymore earlier on in the year.

yellowcard

Ridiculous comments, you haven't a clue what happened so why present a story which pretends that you do. And do you honestly think McGeeney sent out a player to committ GBH on an opponent simply because he is involved in Brazilian jiu jitsu?

tonto1888

what high level in MMA is McGeeney involved in? Which player was it?

illdecide

Squire you r full sh1te. WTF had McGeeney got to do with this, what people don't know they just make up. Kieran McGeeney played the game hard but fair and I know he wouldn't send any player out to do that so wind your neck in. As stated above no one can say for sure what really happened and the thing that I can't get my head around is the high profile (especially Dublin games) the game and there is no mention of what happened from anyone that was at the game. If what happened is as people say the guilty culprit would be arrested for it never mind suspended and i'm also sure if that happened to any player in a game I was in there would have been a 30 man brawl afterwards but no mention of that. Can u imagine one of your team mates getting his jersey pulled over his head and then punched at least 3 times and no reaction from his team mates...wise up.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

easytiger95

Given that no one on this forum witnessed what happened and the herald report seems to be not backed up by any official statement from either camp, can we all agree on a couple of things

1. Any incident that led to a guy having an eye socket fractured off the ball is serious and deserves investigation, even if the guy receiving the damage is from Dublin.

2. Since we cannot name the other party to the incident, ie the alleged attacker, can we not extend some courtesy to the injured party by not speculating whether where he comes from means that he in some way contributed or deserved the attack?

3. The suggestion that Kieran McGeeny in any way is training a team to use MMA techniques during a GAA match, not only borders on the insane, it is also skirting up to libel. People need to be careful.

4. Given the severity of the injuries involved, any failure to investigate and make public the findings would not only leave a stain on Armagh and Dublin GAA boards, as well as the GAA itself.