Davy Byrne

Started by The Hill is Blue, July 08, 2015, 09:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hill is Blue

Can anyone explain the stifling omertà which seems to have enveloped the horrific injuries sustained by Davy Byrne before the start of the recent challenge game between Dublin and Armagh?
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

AZOffaly

Sounded brutal. I heard it was before the game even started. How could someone be so out of control before a challenge match?

heffo

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 08, 2015, 09:12:20 AM
Sounded brutal. I heard it was before the game even started. How could someone be so out of control before a challenge match?

Was the same player and team involved in something pre-match last year too?

macdanger2

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on July 08, 2015, 09:00:19 AM
Can anyone explain the stifling omertà which seems to have enveloped the horrific injuries sustained by Davy Byrne before the start of the recent challenge game between Dublin and Armagh?

Omerta from the Dublin side??

Seems very odd to have an incident like this in a closed doors challenge match between two teams who don't play each other very often and so should have no bad blood

DuffleKing

There seems to be an assumption that the Dubs should be allowed to do as they please before during and after games and everyone should lay rose petals at their feet

AZOffaly

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 08, 2015, 09:20:58 AM
There seems to be an assumption that the Dubs should be allowed to do as they please before during and after games and everyone should lay rose petals at their feet

What happened? It's certainly being portrayed as if there is one innocent party here, and one aggressor. If it was as described in the media, it's an absolute disgrace.

macdanger2

It seems unlikely that there was one innocent party, there rarely is, but I can't think of anything that would justify a lad ending up with a broken eye socket

Estimator

Just read this report on the incident

Dublin footballer, Davy Byrne, is recovering having suffering serious facial injuries in a challenge match against Armagh last week.

It is understood that Byrne went to shake hands with his marker, who subsequently pulled Byrne's jersey over his head and landed several blows to the head.

Byrne is believed to have suffered a broken jaw,nose and fractured his eye socket.

He is expected to have no part to play in this Sunday's Leinster Final against Westmeath as a result.
Ulster League Champions 2009

heffo

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 08, 2015, 09:25:52 AM
It seems unlikely that there was one innocent party, there rarely is, but I can't think of anything that would justify a lad ending up with a broken eye socket

+ jaw & nose

imtommygunn

*If* a report like that is true the guy who did it should be prosecuted.

That's an if though. I don't know where you find out the truth of it.

Old yeller

The lad that did it should be jailed, sc**bag

DuffleKing

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 08, 2015, 09:23:46 AM

What happened? It's certainly being portrayed as if there is one innocent party here, and one aggressor. If it was as described in the media, it's an absolute disgrace.

You seem like a man of the world az - how likely is it that there was an inexplicable premeditated assault before throw in in an intercounty challenge match? What's in the media is causing a whole lot of bemusement among those who were at the game - which I was not - and there was a fair crowd at it I believe.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Estimator on July 08, 2015, 09:26:33 AM
Just read this report on the incident

Dublin footballer, Davy Byrne, is recovering having suffering serious facial injuries in a challenge match against Armagh last week.

It is understood that Byrne went to shake hands with his marker, who subsequently pulled Byrne's jersey over his head and landed several blows to the head.

Byrne is believed to have suffered a broken jaw,nose and fractured his eye socket.

He is expected to have no part to play in this Sunday's Leinster Final against Westmeath as a result.

Yes, that's the report doing the rounds, and that's what I meant by an absolute disgrace if that's what happened, or anything like it. *However* it's a bizarre situation in a challenge match if it happened like that. Just put yourselves in the shoes of the players, we've all played in challenge matches, at county or club level. I understand you can be worked up if you are trying to prove yourself to the management or something, but why on earth would you assault the lad who is coming to mark you, if all he did was go to shake hands?

I hope Davy Byrne recovers of course, but I suspect there may be more to this. If not, then the trangressor deserves a massive ban at the very least. Also a psych evaluation!

heffo

That's a ridiculously idiotic comment, even by your standards.

AZOffaly

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 08, 2015, 09:29:42 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 08, 2015, 09:23:46 AM

You seem like a man of the world az - how likely is it that there was an inexplicable premeditated assault before throw in in an intercounty challenge match? What's in the media is causing a whole lot of bemusement among those who were at the game - which I was not - and there was a fair crowd at it I believe.

That's more or less what I was saying in my previous post. If there was a fair crowd, how come a counter report is not out there?