Paddy Bradley Suspended for Championship??

Started by SlimShady, April 17, 2007, 02:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realredhandfan

Its an interesting debate.  Id love to know how much Stevie Mc Donnell Has scored against Tyrone or Kerry in championship games circa 2002 - 2007.  is he up there as well?  
Deerrymad theres idiots including 2 06 in a Dubai piss up match.  ffs criteria is all too important.  Yes its nice when someone from the lesser counties makes a name for themselves scoring at will against Carlow but when they sr=tart complaining about a lack of recognition its sinmply because they werent exactly marking all star backs.

Maximus Marillius

I'll repeat what I said a few minutes ago...show me when he put up the big scores against the teams that really matter. Now I realise that Derry have not afforded him that opportunity, but that is where greatness is sowen unto the shirt

loughshore lad

Quote from: derrymad on May 03, 2007, 10:20:55 AM

Put simply, if Steve O'Neill or Colm Cooper played for Derry would they have racked up the same scores Paddy has in them few years?
Maybe I am wrong but I would doubt they would.

Put simply both Stevie and the Gooch have done it on the big stage in big game scenarios. For example O'Neill gave a master class in an ulster final in 2005 against Armagh, the Gooch was sublime in the 2005 all ireland final.

Will Hunting

I agree with what yous are saying about doing it consistently on the big stage, but Bradley carries the most potent threat of any forward in Ireland. Similar to what McDonnell was doing 4-5 years ago. O'Neill has gone back over the past couple of years, and doesn't hold as much attacking quality as Bradley. Mortimer is up there as he always seems to produce the goods, even if he does need to be in front of goals - but he has a great scoring record. Cooper is probably the most naturally gifted forward in that once he gets the ball in his hands (in scoring range) he'll almost always do the right thing with it.

realredhandfan

agree with that. this championship year the title of best forward is entirely up for grabs - last year a goalscorer(as opposed to pointscorer) got player of the year for the first time since 2003.  I always had more respect for point scorers than goal scorers in Gaelic football - I dont really know why either, but when Cosgrove was hammering in goals in 2002 and similarly O Donnell in 2003 I suspected that they wouldnt be able to make the difference in a tight game when points rather than goals mattered most ie the semifinal 02 and the final 03.  An effective Mortimer style figure (the Mark Harte of Mayo)  could yet be the most influential footballer this year.  As for the much predicted Tyrone V Derry Ulster final this year, it could well be the game that Bradley comes back into, roaring like a lion and makes a fantastic contribution to.  That Game is another matter but I fully believe its in the stars.  As for the result where Tyrone to lose it could finish them as a current force in the game,  if Derry where to win, it will bolster a bid for a second elusive all Ireland title and as a sideshow with Bradley finally getting an allstar and his brother getting a bib.

Will Hunting

Tyrone v Derry Ulster Finals are rare things. Even when it looks certain that the teams will meet, it just doesn't happen. I think they have only ever met once in an Ulster Final - 1956, so I wouldn't be putting money on it happening this year - but, you never know!

realredhandfan

The 1995 ulster semi final defeat by Tyrone signalled the end of that Derry top 4 era of dominance.  the 1997 semi final defeat finished that top 4 era of Tyrone dominance.  Without being the profit of doom could 2007 and an ulster final defeat to Derry change the current top 4 era of Tyrone ?

Uladh

screenmachine

its put off till thursday nite now accordin to the boys in the derry thread...rumour has it that hes gonna get off due to a technicality...plus he also has had sexual contact with several members of the ulster council... ;)
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

tyroneman

QuoteBradley carries the most potent threat of any forward in Ireland

Based on what exactly?

To me a forward threat is much more than the ability to take a score......

Gooch and SON can operate anywhere across the half or full forward line. They can supply, create AND score - Bradley can only take scores.

If either of the former 2 forget thier shooting boots they can still affect a match by bringing other players into the action - Bradley only plays for himself

If you base it purely on scoring ability I would say Declan Browne is far superior to Bradley and if he had've been in the Derry team he would have outstripped PB and lifted numerous all-stars.

That's not to say PB is a bad player - far from it (ans that's tough to admit from a Tyrone fella) but he simply doesnlt carry the threat that others do in any respect

Hardy

Bardley's appeal has been denied. 12-week suspension stands, according to RTÉ radio just now.

gander

just confirmed on Hoganstand:

Derry's Ulster SFC hopes have suffered a major blow with the news that star attacker Paddy Bradley's appeal to the Ulster Council against his three-month suspension has failed.

Bradley's second appeal against the ban was heard by the Ulster Council's Hearings Committee on Thursday night and despite the Glenullin man's presence at the hearing, the provincial body ruled that the ban would remain. He had previously made an unsuccessful appeal to his own county board against the ban which was imposed on him following an alleged altercation with a referee at the end of a club game between Glenullin and Loup last month.

Bradley had continued training with the Derry squad in the hope that the suspension would be lifted, but he's now resigned to missing the Ulster SFC opener against Antrim on June 3 and a potential Ulster semi-final against Down, Cavan or Monaghan on June 24. He would, however, be eligible for both the first and second round All-Ireland qualifiers on July 7 and 14.

Will Hunting

I wonder if Bradley was a Tyrone player would he have got off?  >:(

full back

Quote from: Will Hunting on May 11, 2007, 11:53:29 AM
I wonder if Bradley was a Tyrone player would he have got off?  >:(

He probably would have
Big Fergal would have pulled a few wires, sorry strings, and got him off l

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.