Should Tyrone speak to RTE

Started by CD, August 20, 2018, 11:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: clarshack on August 20, 2018, 02:55:25 PM
Quote from: markl121 on August 20, 2018, 01:46:51 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 20, 2018, 01:18:47 PM
How many tickets are each club in the participating Counties  getting?
Gaelic life seemed to suggest that every club member would get a ticket as well as every season ticket holder regardless of attendance.

not all club members in Tyrone got tickets for previous finals so why would it be different now?
in fact i'd have thought there would be even less tickets this time around as there are season ticket holders now to take a share of the overall allocation.
personally i don't think the ticket situation is going to be good...

If you're a Tyrone club member, you should be able to sit up on the sofa, and your club secretary or whoever come in, roll you over and put your ticket in your pocket. Should be the same in any county.

spuds

Tyrone do their slabbering on the pitch.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

TheClubman

Quote from: lenny on August 20, 2018, 02:43:13 PM
Quote from: TheClubman on August 20, 2018, 02:37:54 PM
RTE's coverage of gaelic games in general but particularly gaelic football is atrocious. I don't think these interviews reveal anything relevant. Like - is anyone really looking forward to Jim Gavin's pre match or post match interview? And that's no offence to him. They're pointless.

It's about the game and journalists (if they can be called that) try to make it about them.

I see your point, it's not like any other sport has post match interviews or any other tv channel does post match interviews. What kind of lunatic are u?

Why do we have to be like other sports? Why do RTE have to do mind numbingly boring interviews that offer no insight whatsoever? Possibly to help people who know SFA about the games to have a conversation when they go to the pub....that's about all I can think of.

Owen Brannigan

Harte is like many of us, he neither forgives nor forgets and if he does forget he doesn't forgive. The same applies to RTE as applies to all others who have crossed him in the past.  it may not be Christian but it is human.

Tyrone GAA is not Harte and the players are not Harte but both have followed or bent to his will on this matter.  Previous sponsors were not happy as it removed their exposure in interviews and they were left behind but the current sponsor will not have the same problem.

Personally, I think Harte should have continued on his on vendetta against RTE as he wishes but Tyrone GAA, players and others should have been given the opportunity as these occasions don't happen often and while many will cringe at the broadcasts they are still widely watched by a cringing public and virtually all of the relatives of the players, etc.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: screenexile on August 20, 2018, 02:42:03 PM
Quote from: Jayop on August 20, 2018, 11:42:33 AM
Rte have for years went out of their way to try to punish Tyrone so I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire. If anyone from tyrone wants to appear on there once they're done playing then that's their personal decision.

Yes it was Ryle Nugent's personal obsession to stick it to Tyrone any chance he got!!

What a load of aul shite! Every team has gotten abuse from RTE from Armagh/Cavan/Donegal down to Cork and even the Dubs in their time why do Tyrone think they are so special in this regard.

I've heard the sketch on a few occasions to be honest I'm still not quite sure where the offense is (apart from the fact it was meant to be funny and it was just rambling nonsense)? And it most definitely wasn't Ryle Nugent or the Sports departments fault. The Carthy thing was just ridiculous and Harte's own fault for writing the letter.

Regardless of this there is a new head of programming in there so it just seems strange that someone who preaches the Catholic ethos etc. wouldn't forgive something so minor!

The song choice on the sketch, Pretty Little Girl from Omagh was probably what caused the offense.

Jinxy

If Tyrone win, the Sunday Game panel that evening will solely consist of match highlights and the panel picking daft 'end of season' awards.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

TheClubman

Quote from: Jinxy on August 20, 2018, 03:27:09 PM
If Tyrone win, the Sunday Game panel that evening will solely consist of match highlights and the panel picking daft 'end of season' awards.

Ya, will really miss the yahooing and the "sure it wasn't me, it was the rest of the lads made my job east..." - cutting edge insight. Hopefully when they show the highlights we get the crucial team running out and supports shots that add so much.

armaghniac

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 20, 2018, 03:26:16 PM
Rte have for years went out of their way to try to punish Tyrone so I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire. If anyone from tyrone wants to appear on there once they're done playing then that's their personal decision.

Yes it was Ryle Nugent's personal obsession to stick it to Tyrone any chance he got!!

What a load of aul shite! Every team has gotten abuse from RTE from Armagh/Cavan/Donegal down to Cork and even the Dubs in their time why do Tyrone think they are so special in this regard.

I've heard the sketch on a few occasions to be honest I'm still not quite sure where the offense is (apart from the fact it was meant to be funny and it was just rambling nonsense)? And it most definitely wasn't Ryle Nugent or the Sports departments fault. The Carthy thing was just ridiculous and Harte's own fault for writing the letter.

Regardless of this there is a new head of programming in there so it just seems strange that someone who preaches the Catholic ethos etc. wouldn't forgive something so minor!

The song choice on the sketch, Pretty Little Girl from Omagh was probably what caused the offense.

I thought it well out of order at the time and the presenter of that show is now working with the sports department.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AZOffaly

It was well out of order. At worst, it was a calculated insult because Mickey Harte had clashed with RTE before. At best, it was inconsiderate, and ignorant of the circumstances.

RTE should have apologised for it, in a real way, rather than the 'if you took offense we're sooooo soooorrrry'.

haranguerer

When someone has went through something that horrendous, you shouldn't be doing anything that could be considered even close to offensive, and if you inadvertently do, then you should go grovelling to them.

I can't imagine they'd have considered a skit about Lottie Ryan not long after Gerrys death, and certainly not with a song that could be interpreted as referring to him

trueblue1234

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 20, 2018, 03:26:16 PM

How this needs to be clarified I don't know.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

lenny

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 20, 2018, 03:41:16 PM
It was well out of order. At worst, it was a calculated insult because Mickey Harte had clashed with RTE before. At best, it was inconsiderate, and ignorant of the circumstances.

RTE should have apologised for it, in a real way, rather than the 'if you took offense we're sooooo soooorrrry'.

They did apologise, what do you want? The dj in question sacked? That's obviously what harte wanted or carthy installed as big game commentator. It was one person on rte who was insensitive towards the harte family but of course he holds a vendetta against the whole company.

AZOffaly

Quote from: lenny on August 20, 2018, 04:16:57 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 20, 2018, 03:41:16 PM

They did apologise, what do you want? The dj in question sacked? That's obviously what harte wanted or carthy installed as big game commentator. It was one person on rte who was insensitive towards the harte family but of course he holds a vendetta against the whole company.

Their apology, unless I'm mistaken, was 'If you were offended, we're sorry you were offended'. That's not an apology, that's weasel stuff.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on August 20, 2018, 03:27:09 PM

I would hope they use the extra time to honour Lyster, but then that would be a damp squib for him in that he's the one broadcasting from the winning team's hotel.

Dublin, do it for Michael.

Orchard park

the end of year awards with Des in the middle are a fairly limp usage of coverage time