Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

Quote from: Gold on January 28, 2019, 02:01:05 PM
Still though---if last night wasn't the time to discuss the new rules then no time will be.

I think he should've been allowed to at least discuss the new rules (whilst being reined in if he went on too long).

It has to be discussed
noy much point in discussing them until they have had a cjance to be trialed like the hand past a fter the fir FBD game peole were shouting  for it to be abandoned without seeing the any medium or even short term effect they might have  not to mention long term
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

JoG2

Quote from: Seany on January 28, 2019, 02:25:47 PM
Generally, the pundits on RTE are OK, but Brolly is now his own tribute band. Best work done about five years ago and all his current stuff is repetition or just dross. 

Meanwhile, on RTE Radio yesterday, that other self tribute band, Colm O'Rourke, was giving it loads about the GAA pricing structure for the League when he actually stated that if a family of five, two adults and three kids were going to a National league match, it would cost them a hundred euro.  This was unchallenged totally by Jacqui Hurley and Dessie Dolan, also in the studio.  It took the GAA to actually call in to the show and state that faftually, thery were wrong and that if they bought their tickets online, that family of five could go for 30 Euro, which works out at 6Euro per person, rather than the 30 he was suggesting. 

When the national broadcaster brings in people so lazy that they couldn't be bothered to even research something as simple, as well known and as talked about as prices to a match, what hope have we. 

He then tried to fob it off by sayin the GAA were getting 'touchy'.  Yeah Colm.  You keep spreading lies and when the GAA tries to put the record straight using fact, just call them 'touchy'.  That's the way to go.

We were discussing this very point in the car on the way home yesterday , O'Rourke did prefix kids with 'teenage' in fairness, so could have talking about those over 16. But he did lay it on fairly thick.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Seany on January 28, 2019, 02:25:47 PM
Generally, the pundits on RTE are OK, but Brolly is now his own tribute band. Best work done about five years ago and all his current stuff is repetition or just dross. 

Meanwhile, on RTE Radio yesterday, that other self tribute band, Colm O'Rourke, was giving it loads about the GAA pricing structure for the League when he actually stated that if a family of five, two adults and three kids were going to a National league match, it would cost them a hundred euro.  This was unchallenged totally by Jacqui Hurley and Dessie Dolan, also in the studio.  It took the GAA to actually call in to the show and state that faftually, thery were wrong and that if they bought their tickets online, that family of five could go for 30 Euro, which works out at 6Euro per person, rather than the 30 he was suggesting. 

When the national broadcaster brings in people so lazy that they couldn't be bothered to even research something as simple, as well known and as talked about as prices to a match, what hope have we. 

He then tried to fob it off by sayin the GAA were getting 'touchy'.  Yeah Colm.  You keep spreading lies and when the GAA tries to put the record straight using fact, just call them 'touchy'.  That's the way to go.

Jacqui Hurley and Darren Frehill are not good full stop, it's more than just the odd time I've heard them come out with clear factual errors over the past few years on Sunday Sport.
I accept that it's live and some mistakes will be made but they just don't seem to have the depth of knowledge that you would expect for presenters in their positions, particularly around topics that are in the news and will come up such as the ticket prices. If they don't have the facts down themselves they will not be able to correct guests like O'Rourke yesterday.

Delighted to see Cantwell try to get Brolly to stick to the script last night, I hope she continues in this vein, more talk about the actual matches please. Brolly already has opinion pieces published every week, allowing him the time to regurgitate on air whatever crap he's written about that week regardless of whether it has anything to do with the match they are supposed to be talking about has to stop.
Although it has no chance of happening, in truth I'd be happier if Brolly was left off any RTE GAA coverage altogether and he can take Spillane and O'Rourke with him as well, they bring absolutely nothing to the analysis of the game.

Seany

I think it's a great show and I do rate Darren and Jacqui very highly as presenters.  It's a complete marathon show, but Jacqui got it wrong yesterday,  In fairness, she did clarify and argued with O'Rourke when he started the 'touchy' stuff about the GAA. 

An Fhairche Abu

I once heard both of them discuss what a big difference Richard Dunne would make to Ireland's qualification campaign on his return. He was retired from international duty about 2 years, he was barely still playing club at the time.

macdanger2

There's loads of RTE "pundits" that need to be put out to pasture, Brolly, Spillane, O'Rourke, D Dolan, T Carr & B Flynn for starters

Fuzzman

Didn't see the show last night as got home late from Killarney and hadn't the appetite to watch any more GAA in bad conditions as it was already difficult watching that rubbish first time around.  ;D

Funny though I had mentioned to the lads on the way down on Sat evening about how Ms Cantwell will be a lot more interesting that Lyster and wont be letting Brolly off the hook as much. I heard her on last year and a few times she pulled him up on things and I could already detect some tension.
Whilst I think Brolly can be very funny live (i.e. off telly), I think he always has an alternative agenda and like many have already said has his mind made up on what he's gonna say before a game starts.
He shows a huge lack of respect to those around him and needs his own show as he takes over everything he appears in, especially chat shows.

I look forward to more of JC's reining Joe in and hopefully also giving O'Rourke enough rope to hand himself.
Did ye hear him on that radio show yesterday interviewing poor Rory Gallagher about how shite Fermanagh are and how he is making a show of himself and Fermanagh by being so defensive. O'Rourke has surpassed Spillane in my eyes.
On another note, when do RTE start showing live league games?

highorlow

QuoteBrolly v Cantwell

https://twitter.com/RTEgaa/status/1089656364568199169

A quick Fact Check of course tells us that Brolly was completely spoofing when he said the reason for the advanced mark was for the like of "star" to have hoofed balls into him. JC pulled Joe on this and it was then that spoofer Joe realised he was getting caught out and had to deflect off the argument.

Rule: To extend the application of the mark to the clean catching of the ball inside the 45m line from a kick in play from on or beyond the opposing 45m line. The ball must travel a minimum of 20 metres.

Why the proposed change? The average number of kick passes per game has fallen by almost 15% since 2011. Seven years ago there were 127 foot passes per game as opposed to 110 in 2017.

What the GAA says: They have argued that if something isn't done to tackle the current trend towards hand-passing, by 2023 and the next SCPR experimental proposals, the average number of kick passes in inter-county games will be between 90 and 95. GPA surveys finds more than half its members (54%) are in favour of the rule change.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/1127/1013774-football-rule-changes-the-why-the-how-the-why-not/

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Main Street

omaghjoe

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 28, 2019, 04:37:07 PM
Didn't see the show last night as got home late from Killarney and hadn't the appetite to watch any more GAA in bad conditions as it was already difficult watching that rubbish first time around.  ;D

Funny though I had mentioned to the lads on the way down on Sat evening about how Ms Cantwell will be a lot more interesting that Lyster and wont be letting Brolly off the hook as much. I heard her on last year and a few times she pulled him up on things and I could already detect some tension.
Whilst I think Brolly can be very funny live (i.e. off telly), I think he always has an alternative agenda and like many have already said has his mind made up on what he's gonna say before a game starts.
He shows a huge lack of respect to those around him and needs his own show as he takes over everything he appears in, especially chat shows.

I look forward to more of JC's reining Joe in and hopefully also giving O'Rourke enough rope to hand himself.
Did ye hear him on that radio show yesterday interviewing poor Rory Gallagher about how shite Fermanagh are and how he is making a show of himself and Fermanagh by being so defensive. O'Rourke has surpassed Spillane in my eyes.
On another note, when do RTE start showing live league games?

I heard that alright, two chaps that I wouldn't have much time for but O'Rourke sounded more than a wee bit deluded. I used to laugh at him but I actually feel bad for O'Rourke now, I think he is probably going through the early stages of dementia.

yellowcard

Joanne Cantrell's interviewing style is a cross between Pat Spillane (trying to impose his own opinion) and Ryan Tubridy (asking questions then almost immediately interrupting).

I think that those who praise her mostly are doing so out of an anti Brolly agenda rather than because of her own interviewing style. I think she should be given a chance but she does need to talk a bit less and give the pundits a bit more of a chance to develop points. It was as though she had a pre rehearsed script that she was determined wouldn't be deviated from.

trailer

Carmen Stateside

Cantwell is unbearable.