Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: bigfrank on June 12, 2018, 06:56:22 PM
Looking to get away with the other half for a week in the sun in the next month,thinking the obvious places such as Spain or Portugal,but Cyprus is popular in our searches online.been using Thomson,jet2 and easyJet and various other ones,any hidden gems or suggestions? Thomson etc is handy for coach transfers etc and that,would it be better to book flights and look for hotel separately on my own or am I going looking for trouble when packages are right in front of me? Be flying from Belfast and just wary of some of the reviews you see,better to get lowdown from a trusted gaaboard member 🤣🤣

Always like Lanzarote..Puerto del Carmenresort only 10 mins in a taxi from airport.  Great bars and restaraaunts along the strip.  Lanzarote golf club close to.the resort as well to get away for a wee round if that Your thing
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

screenexile

Quote from: armaghniac on June 12, 2018, 11:26:53 AM
Quote from: Don Johnson on June 12, 2018, 10:41:01 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 12, 2018, 10:38:03 AM
Quote from: Don Johnson on June 12, 2018, 08:57:58 AM
Anyone ever get a speeding ticket abroad? Got a fine sent in the post yesterday from May of last year in France. Lucky I can read French or I wouldn't have had a clue what it meant, they are looking 180E from me or 144E if I pay within 30 days. What do you reckon, ignore it?

Were you in your own yoke or a rental?

I've read that in the case of Italy the fine has to be issued within a year, perhaps something the same exists in France.

In a rental. Must look into that year thing, the year had definitely passed anyway.

In some cases, the rental company will just charge your credit card anyhow.

€144??? Robbing bastards!!

Was in France 2 weeks ago and got the flash driving back to the airport in the rental car. My wife nearly collapsed she seemed to think the police would come for some strange reason!!

Anyway that's put me in bad form now surely they can't enforce a speeding ticket over here? Might just have to wait for Brexit then they can whistle!!

That's a sound strategy right??

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on June 12, 2018, 11:30:53 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 12, 2018, 11:26:53 AM
Quote from: Don Johnson on June 12, 2018, 10:41:01 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 12, 2018, 10:38:03 AM
Quote from: Don Johnson on June 12, 2018, 08:57:58 AM
Anyone ever get a speeding ticket abroad? Got a fine sent in the post yesterday from May of last year in France. Lucky I can read French or I wouldn't have had a clue what it meant, they are looking 180E from me or 144E if I pay within 30 days. What do you reckon, ignore it?

Were you in your own yoke or a rental?

I've read that in the case of Italy the fine has to be issued within a year, perhaps something the same exists in France.

In a rental. Must look into that year thing, the year had definitely passed anyway.

In some cases, the rental company will just charge your credit card anyhow.

€144??? Robbing b**tards!!

Was in France 2 weeks ago and got the flash driving back to the airport in the rental car. My wife nearly collapsed she seemed to think the police would come for some strange reason!!

Anyway that's put me in bad form now surely they can't enforce a speeding ticket over here? Might just have to wait for Brexit then they can whistle!!

That's a sound strategy right??
They'll make a glove puppet out of you next time you are back.

Gold

Booking flights to Faro with the woman in late July

Both enjoy the beach and the craic but not magaluf style mania (i will save that for the next boys trip)

Never been to Portugal...any recommendations/no goes?
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

The Subbie

I went to a town called Tavira , bout 15-20 mins from Faro
Good wee spot , good selection of bars etc
Nice relaxed place

Newbridge Exile

Beautiful spot Tavira, would be much  quieter in terms of tourists than  say Vilamoura or Alfuferia

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Gold on June 13, 2018, 12:57:55 AM

Both enjoy the beach and the craic but not magaluf style mania (i will save that for the next boys trip)

Quateria is also very good  ,it has a beautiful beach and only a ,(15-20 minute walk to vilamoura , but a lot more value for money in terms of restaurant etc

Boycey

The further you go west from Faro airport the slightly cheaper and less crowded it gets and the beaches are more spectacular. We got a Villa to ourselves in Lagos for the same price as we were getting apartments in the Vilamoura/Albufeira area. Obviously you would need a car though..

Milltown Row2

I'd stay out of the known places in Portugal as they are more pricey, some places as expensive as Dublin!

Up to now in Portugal the weather has been shit, few different friends have been lately and it's been cold! I would imagine come July it wouldn't be like that...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tyrone girl

We go to Vilamoura every summer and i do like it but find it very expensive.

We spent a few days in Quateria last year and loved it. Far cheaper too for everything.

Im going next weekend and have also heard reports of the weather not being great so far  :o

mackers

I was in Vilamoura the weekend before last.  There was a cool breeze.  It left the temperature about 21 or 22 during the day which was fine.  It was sunny all the time.  It was very cool at night though.  There was no one sitting outside at any of the bars and a jumper would definitely have been required.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Gold on June 13, 2018, 12:57:55 AM

Alvor. Lovely relaxed town with one of the best baches in The Algarve.

Walter Cronc

Anyone ever done Norway? Thinking of doing 3-4 days road tripping and hiking around the fjords. Flying to Bergen.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 14, 2018, 07:02:25 AM
Anyone ever done Norway? Thinking of doing 3-4 days road tripping and hiking around the fjords. Flying to Bergen.

Also heading to Bergen in July followed by Oslo and Stockholm.

Had booked to fly to Bergen via Oslo but SAS have cancelled the flight and now flying to Stockholm then Oslo before heading to Bergen next day. A bit of a pain as we could have taken second flight directly to Bergen.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 14, 2018, 07:51:19 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 14, 2018, 07:02:25 AM

Also heading to Bergen in July followed by Oslo and Stockholm.

Had booked to fly to Bergen via Oslo but SAS have cancelled the flight and now flying to Stockholm then Oslo before heading to Bergen next day. A bit of a pain as we could have taken second flight directly to Bergen.

Good stuff OB. Are you doing the fjords?