Irish First

Started by Keepthefaith93, March 05, 2015, 12:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keepthefaith93

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere else, seen it in the paper that the new Mid Ulster super council is going to have their signage in Irish then English below. Funny how things turn full circle. Unionists tramped the nationalist people into the ground for years and now we have the majority we are going to do the same to them. Classy stuff.  :'( :'(

deiseach

Quote from: Keepthefaith93 on March 05, 2015, 12:45:06 PM
Not sure if this has been posted anywhere else, seen it in the paper that the new Mid Ulster super council is going to have their signage in Irish then English below. Funny how things turn full circle. Unionists tramped the nationalist people into the ground for years and now we have the majority we are going to do the same to them. Classy stuff.  :'( :'(

It's like Bloody Sunday all over again, only in reverse!

Orior

A Chara,

Irish first is a great initiative. It keeps the language alive and it is enjoyed by tourists. I get great entertainment pointing out to colleagues that the place they live in (e.g. Shankill, Belfast) is derived from the Irish language.

Is mise le meas
Orior
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

johnneycool

Quote from: Orior on March 05, 2015, 12:58:08 PM
A Chara,

Irish first is a great initiative. It keeps the language alive and it is enjoyed by tourists. I get great entertainment pointing out to colleagues that the place they live in (e.g. Shankill, Belfast) is derived from the Irish language.

Is mise le meas
Orior

Its nice to get a bit of a wind up going the odd time.

The firm I work for has now based its European HQ in Cork and are expanding down there. I've taken to winding up my fellow workers that the Irish Tricolour will look lovely on the flag pole out the front and we'll all need to brush up on the old Irish to speak to our Cork bosses.
Its all a bit of craic..

Keepthefaith93

Quote from: deiseach on March 05, 2015, 12:49:23 PM
Quote from: Keepthefaith93 on March 05, 2015, 12:45:06 PM

It's like Bloody Sunday all over again, only in reverse!

It's not.

rosnarun

Quote from: johnneycool on March 05, 2015, 01:07:36 PM
A Chara,

Is mise le meas
Orior

Its nice to get a bit of a wind up going the odd time.

The firm I work for has now based its European HQ in Cork and are expanding down there. I've taken to winding up my fellow workers that the Irish Tricolour will look lovely on the flag pole out the front and we'll all need to brush up on the old Irish to speak to our Cork bosses.
Its all a bit of craic..
Its all phone and games till some one loses an eye and a hand and a leg
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

5 Sams

A Chara,

Is mise le meas
Orior

+1

Ballyhackamore = Townland of the Big Shite
Tandragee = Arse to the Wind.
The Aristocrat Years

seafoid

It should have been like this from the start in the 1920s.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Maguire01

I don't think this does the language any favours in the north (the same thing is happening in Newry if i'm not mistaken). By all means have Irish on the signs, but I don't see the logic in placing it above the English version. I'd imagine 90% of nationalists couldn't write the name of the Council in Irish. All it does is antagonise the other side - it turns it into the equivalent of flying the Union flag on unionist dominated councils.

Similarly with this proposed Irish Language Act - i'm all for promoting the language, but some of the proposals, such as translating Stormont business, is just a waste of money and effort.

armaghniac

Irish is top on signs all over the country, I see no reason for Newry and Mourne to be different, consistency is useful, in Scotland Gaelic is also on top of signs.
There is no point in being like Wales where you have to try and figure out which language is which because the order is inconsistent.

As for unionist councils these people should not be allowed express their bigotry by excluding Irish from their signs.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Maguire01

Quote from: armaghniac on March 05, 2015, 08:24:11 PM
Irish is top on signs all over the country, I see no reason for Newry and Mourne to be different, consistency is useful, in Scotland Gaelic is also on top of signs.
There is no point in being like Wales where you have to try and figure out which language is which because the order is inconsistent.

As for unionist councils these people should not be allowed express their bigotry by excluding Irish from their signs.
In a non-contentious world, maybe. But we're dealing with reality here. A quick google will also show you that not all local authorities lead with Irish, and I don't think anyone is going to be staring at a sign for too long wondering which line is English and which is Irish.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: seafoid on March 05, 2015, 02:32:29 PM

Would you make the teaching of Irish a mandatory part of the curriculum in a United Ireland ?

armaghniac

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on March 05, 2015, 09:12:12 PM

Would you make the teaching of Irish a mandatory part of the curriculum in a United Ireland ?

Yes, of course.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: armaghniac on March 05, 2015, 09:31:46 PM

Yes, of course.

kind of like a revenge penal law ?

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: armaghniac on March 05, 2015, 09:31:46 PM

Yes, of course.

btw, I wasn't asking you. I was asking the other fascist.

just to draw the lines so to speak.......