Derry v Mayo. Celtic Park. March 8th 2015.

Started by moysider, March 02, 2015, 11:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryin89

I can't see why we can't win this fairly handy and go on to win the league , take it by the horns , it's high time the best team in ireland started Winning national competitions. ( new found optimism, we're goin to win the lot)
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

moysider

Larry PM the name of the beer you're drinking a stór.
My swallow isn t giving me that type of buzz at all lately ;D

Farrandeelin

Quote from: moysider on March 03, 2015, 09:03:40 PM

I take it you aren't a regular poster on WJ's blog? They're gone all positive all of a sudden! I know we beat 13 man Monaghan, but we had a load of terrible wides and only pulled away when Monaghan got the 2 sent off.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

macdanger2

Yeah, I wouldn't get too carried away over beating 13 men.

We've had a lot of wides in the last two games, we either need to stop shooting from stupid positions or show a bit more composure

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 03, 2015, 10:01:40 PM
Quote from: moysider on March 03, 2015, 09:03:40 PM

I take it you aren't a regular poster on WJ's blog? They're gone all positive all of a sudden! I know we beat 13 man Monaghan, but we had a load of terrible wides and only pulled away when Monaghan got the 2 sent off.

I'd be more optimistic after what I saw v Monaghan. Even before the sending offs we opened them up at will. Now, it was annoying to see us make poor decisions and butcher chances, but the important thing was that attitude was spot on and we got the game plan right. It s too early anyway to be hitting the high notes. I wouldn t mind the wides either.
Maybe I'm optimistic because Pateen played a system that I cried out for after Tyrone. It wasn t exactly a 2 man ff line but it was next best thing with Aidan playing just on the point behind Ron. and Cillian, and the rest of the forwards working their arses off. Those other forwards are ideally suited to this system. They cover back and cover ground and all 3 scored from play as well. As did Vaughan. Vaughan playing midfield appears to be a long term project. With teams conceding kick outs its probably the right way to go.
I know it probably wont be popular, but it s the only way imo.
We ll see how it pans out. We might not be able to afford the luxury of Aidan playing ff. No use having him in there and pumping ould high ball in if likes of Justin McMahon and 4/5 more around him. But he ll always occupy a couple of defenders I suppose. I d like to see him used from start now in last day role. I d hate to see him used as a 'Hail Mary' option when we re bet and he s swarmed like bees around a bear.

larryin89

haha, maybe I was a biteen ott there but it wasn't the actual win that pleased me as such , there were positives in the game . AOS being the obvious and I'm not being all gung-ho either about him being at ff as I doubt we would be able to afford him in there all the time , it's just its being said by a lot of supporters that it was a no no and I think it was proven it could be used and I believe Salthill will be a place next June where it might prove effective. Anyway we looked sharper overall albeit our shooting boots were not on some of the time especially early on, MgLoughlin miss was ridiculous.

I'm not so sure about Vaughan in the middle,again though it will be horses for courses,could even try keegan there with our half back options at the moment. Keane is doin well , he is so focused , he deserves his chance now .

Any update on Evan regans recovery ?

Wildweasel74

You lads no just put this topic on the Mayo thread, as your are generally just talking among yourselves, any Derry chat about this game tends to stay on the local Derry thread

larryin89

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 04, 2015, 11:29:54 PM
You lads no just put this topic on the Mayo thread, as your are generally just talking among yourselves, any Derry chat about this game tends to stay on the local Derry thread

What's the problem though sure nobody is forced to read a thread.

Mayo Club 51

We have some info on Derry up on our site now, might be of use.   http://mayoclub51.com/derry-here-we-come/

Anyone organizing a bus from Dublin? There are a few there that would be looking to share.

Re Evan Regan, we're hearing he's made eager to get back playing!

ballinaman

Mayo Team:
           O'Malley
Cunniffe, Keane, Higgins
      Keegan, Caff, Boyle,
         SO'Shea, Kirby,
McLoughlin, AO'Shea, Forde,
Ronaldson, O'Connor, Doherty

moysider

Quote from: ballinaman on March 05, 2015, 08:54:45 PM
Mayo Team:
           O'Malley
Cunniffe, Keane, Higgins
      Keegan, Caff, Boyle,
         SO'Shea, Kirby,

I used to think Caff. would be better at 6 so this is going to be interesting. Looks like the keepers are going to be rotated for the league. Nice to see Forde get a start.

twohands!!!

1   Eoin McNicholl
2   Oisín Duffy
3   Niall Holly
4   Dermot McBride
5   Brian Óg McAlary
6   Kevin Johnston
7   Sean Leo McGoldrick
8   Mark Craig
9   Brian Óg McGilligan
10   Carlus McWiliams
11   Mark Lynch
12   Enda Lynn
13   Daniel McKinless
14   Benny Heron
15   Aidan McAlynn

16   Thomas Mallon
17   Liam McGoldrick
18   Michael McIver
19   Jarlath Bradley
20   Fergal Doherty
21   James Kielt
22   Seán Brady
23   Emmett McGuckin
24   Neill McNicholl
25   Niall Loughlin
26   Niall Toner

No Eoin Bradley  ???

macdanger2

Mayo Team:
           O'Malley
Cunniffe, Keane, Higgins
      Keegan, Caff, Boyle,
         SO'Shea, Kirby,

Caff, Kirby and Forde are the interesting picks, Caff in particular.

Would kirby be in the same bracket as the o'ses in terms of speed / mobility? Or a bit better?

Is Forde from Ballycastle?

I'd like to see AOS and coc interchange during the game to keep the derry backs on their toes

JoG2

Quote from: Mayo Club 51 on March 04, 2015, 11:48:42 PM
We have some info on Derry up on our site now, might be of use.   http://mayoclub51.com/derry-here-we-come/

Anyone organizing a bus from Dublin? There are a few there that would be looking to share.

Re Evan Regan, we're hearing he's made eager to get back playing!

Good stuff. Just a wee note, the Drummond Hotel in Ballykelly is 14 miles from the city, not 3.  Just in case anyone gets a surprise with the head hanging off them from Saturday night!

Safe travels and up Derry :-)

muppet

Quote from: macdanger2 on March 05, 2015, 09:55:17 PM
Mayo Team:
           O'Malley
Cunniffe, Keane, Higgins
      Keegan, Caff, Boyle,
         SO'Shea, Kirby,

Caff, Kirby and Forde are the interesting picks, Caff in particular.

Would kirby be in the same bracket as the o'ses in terms of speed / mobility? Or a bit better?

Is Forde from Ballycastle?

I'd like to see AOS and coc interchange during the game to keep the derry backs on their toes

Yes at club level. We will have to see at this level. Pat liked to keep opponents guessing with the Mitchels by switching him and Barry Moran between FF and midfield. or both midfield or other positions. He is strong and gets stuck in and can kick a good pass at club level. He had a great game against Bridget's in Roscommon when Barry Moran was sent off.
MWWSI 2017