New Catholic Church/ DUP coalition! Is this they way forward?

Started by T Fearon, February 24, 2015, 05:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on March 05, 2015, 08:04:07 PM
God has redeemed all of us,potentially,but unfortunately not everyone will accept that or actually become redeemed.Absolutely no variance between my views and the Pope's.
Apart from the fact that the pope says "The Lord HAS redeemed all of us" - i.e. we're already redeemed. Past tense. Sorted.

muppet

Sometimes I feel as if I and others are being a bit hard on Tony and then I log in and read a post that changes my mind.

I grew up a Catholic, my identity is Irish Catholic. That is who I am. But I make up my own mind on things. My parents and ancestors had no choice regarding religion. It was believe or be damned. Tony still insists most of us will be damned for eternity and yet is astonished when people react. Even when Pope Francis is quoted saying something different he can't accept it.

So we have this scenario: Tony says were are damned. Pope Francis says we are not. Then Tony says his views are compatible with Pope Francis.

Better still we have this: "er how could God welcome someone into his kingdom,who never believed in him?"

Presumably Tony thinks God runs the afterlife like Tony would run his B&B. Or to put it another way, Tony thinks God thinks very like Tony.

If that is the case, I might be better off where I am.

MWWSI 2017

Oraisteach

Tony, let me be judgmental.  You're wrong.  I also don't think you believe everything you're saying.  Boy, those Vincentians sure did a number on you.  This is like one of those dance marathons, where the contest continues until there's one person standing, and in this case it'll be Tony FEAR-ON, who'll not drop come hell or holy water.

Rossfan

Muppet, I believe no Rhubarbs can get into Heaven.
Tony - can you please confirm?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

T Fearon

Does anybody seriously believe Pope Francis meant to say everybody is redeemed,including Brendan Smyth for example? It is obvious that he meant mankind has been redeemed generally by the crucifixion.However individual redemption depends on believing in Christ and the sacrifice he made,repentance and avoidance of serious sin.

I have the Catholic catechism on my shelf.In it it says clearly those who commit mortal sin and don't repent are damned.To interpret the Pope's words as meaning everyone is redeemed regardless of the sins they commit without repenting or don't even believe in God, beggars belief.If this is the case what is the point of a Church existing or the Ten Commandments?

Oraisteach

Everybody who does good--Brendan Smyth falls just shy of that standard

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on March 05, 2015, 09:13:37 PM
Does anybody seriously believe Pope Francis meant to say everybody is redeemed,including Brendan Smyth for example? It is obvious that he meant mankind has been redeemed generally by the crucifixion.However individual redemption depends on believing in Christ and the sacrifice he made,repentance and avoidance of serious sin.

I have the Catholic catechism on my shelf.In it it says clearly those who commit mortal sin and don't repent are damned.To interpret the Pope's words as meaning everyone is redeemed regardless of the sins they commit without repenting or don't even believe in God, beggars belief.If this is the case what is the point of a Church existing or the Ten Commandments?

Tony, some children are good, some need a little encouragement and some need the proverbial stick. We treat them differently according to their needs. Maybe God thinks you need the stick.
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Quote from: Oraisteach on March 05, 2015, 09:48:34 PM

There was a discussion earlier in the thread about the appropriateness of using Gary Glitter as an example, I think using Brendan Smyth as an example suffers from the same problem.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on March 05, 2015, 10:09:22 PM
Quote from: Oraisteach on March 05, 2015, 09:48:34 PM

There was a discussion earlier in the thread about the appropriateness of using Gary Glitter as an example, I think using Brendan Smyth as an example suffers from the same problem.

Agreed, but I bet Smyth'' confession was heard and he was absolved of his sins before he died. Anyone want to argue that he wasn't?
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

I would argue.It is equally preposterous to assume that a confession on one's deathbed,because simply one is at death's door,will be any use

ONeill

Anthony - what would this board be without you. 30 pages of winding up posters knowing they can never win. It's like 1999.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on March 05, 2015, 09:06:17 PM
Muppet, I believe no Rhubarbs can get into Heaven.
Tony - can you please confirm?
Yeah they can of course, but sheep worriers- no way! ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

We have our Hell on Earth - living next door to ye shower :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

give her dixie

Jesus Distancing Himself From Drogheda Printers

A PRINTING company in Drogheda who refused to print invitations for a gay couple's civil partnership ceremony have today been given the cold shoulder by Jesus of Nazereth in a scathing new interview.

The 2015-year-old told WWN he did not support the move by Beulah Print, who claim to represent him and his father, stating he would never agree to such a move.

"First of all: that would be a terrible PR move on our part," said the only son of God. "Neither I, or anyone affiliated with my beliefs, would advise this blatant homophobia under God's name. Sure, Dad created the two lads anyway. Why would he give a toss?"

Jonathon Brennan, who is due to wed his partner of eight years, John Kierans, said he was refused by the printers for the first time yesterday afternoon.

"I've been dealing with them for years," he said. "But when it came to my wedding invitation, they told me that they didn't believe in same sex civil partnerships and homosexuality as they are 'devoted Christians'"

Speaking from his luxury €34mn Shard apartment in London, Mr. Christ reached out to both men, stating that as Christians, the printing company should remember to love thy neighbour as themselves, and not be making their own interpretations of the word of God.

"You see, that's the problem with books; everyone interprets them differently," Jesus explained. "Look what happened when Mohammed tried it – a f**king disaster man".

"I told Dad that getting Peter and the lads to ghostwrite an autobiography was a terrible idea. Now the whole world is getting it wrong," he added, while shooing a pedicurist who was working on his bunions. "It's enough to make me want to go public again".

This is the word of the Lord.

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2015/03/06/jesus-distancing-himself-from-drogheda-printers/
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

T Fearon

Now if such a parody was done about a gay couple there would be screams of protest