Laois v Mayo, Saturday 4th Feb, 7.00pm

Started by Farrandeelin, February 01, 2012, 09:15:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Any thoughts lads? Will Mayo get it tight once again? I mean we beat Roscommon by 2 in FBD and Leitrim by 4. Ros were barely able to field you'd swear. We beat 2 college teams convincingly, albeit with home advantage. Laois are probably targetting this game to give themselves a platform to stay in the division. I'll travel in hope Mayo can pull off a victory.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ballinaman

Mayo by 5. Expect too much firepower up front. Hope Barry Moran continues his great club form and nails down that spot in the middle, he has the ability, just hope his injury woes are behind him.

Ard-Rí

I'd say Mayo by at least 5, with a very good chance of more. Louth are very poor.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Ard-Rí on February 01, 2012, 12:48:29 PM
I'd say Mayo by at least 5, with a very good chance of more. Louth are very poor.

It's a pity they're playing Laois then.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

haze

Mayo by 3. Think they are a great price at 4/5 (not that I could bring myself to back against Laois). If Laois are to have any chance of survival, they most win this one.

Unfortunately do not hold out high prospects for the forthcoming year. I think approx 10/11 of last years panel are not involved this year for some reason or another, most notably Padraig McMahon who has been arguably our best player over last few years is gone travelling for the year, as is Daithi Carroll (newcomer last year),  Donie Kingston, who has not committed to panel due to studies, and two full back options Michael Timmons and Denis Booth.

Not sure what the story is with MJ Tierney

mannix

Quote from: haze on February 01, 2012, 01:49:31 PM
Mayo by 3. Think they are a great price at 4/5 (not that I could bring myself to back against Laois). If Laois are to have any chance of survival, they most win this one.

Unfortunately do not hold out high prospects for the forthcoming year. I think approx 10/11 of last years panel are not involved this year for some reason or another, most notably Padraig McMahon who has been arguably our best player over last few years is gone travelling for the year, as is Daithi Carroll (newcomer last year),  Donie Kingston, who has not committed to panel due to studies, and two full back options Michael Timmons and Denis Booth.

Do you think mayo are the easiest team to beat in division one?  Look where they have been playing for the last 10 years.  Mayo should have too much power up front for Laois to stop.if the midfield can break even mayo by 6.

haze

Quote from: mannix on February 01, 2012, 02:11:26 PM
Quote from: haze on February 01, 2012, 01:49:31 PM

Do you think mayo are the easiest team to beat in division one?  Look where they have been playing for the last 10 years.  Mayo should have too much power up front for Laois to stop.if the midfield can break even mayo by 6.

Not at all- Laois are the easiest team to beat in Division 1 based on recent form. I am agreeing with you that Mayo will win and even suggested they are a great price at 4/5 (i'd be surprised if any other team goes off against us at a price as long as that)

But to clarify, Laois are playing Kerry, Donegal and Cork away from home.. So regardless of the fact that these are away from home I think these 3 games are less winnable than any game against Mayo. We play Dublin at home and based on the recent pastings we have taken from them, this is also a more difficult game than Mayo. After that we are left with games against Armagh (round 5) and Down at home (round 7) when it could be all over bar the shouting.. So in conclusion I actually do think this game is the most winnable, as I think every Laois player will be aware of how important it is to get off to a win in this game considering Cork, Dublin and Donegal come next.

I'd be surprised and disappointed if Laois lose by 6 (we will be playing with 10/11 defenders).. expecting a low scoring game

mannix

Armagh,down and donegal are beatable for Laois and Dublin may not run as smoothly as the Dublin fans think. I like the Dublin team but two Ian a row in the championship will be hard, especially when all are gunning for you. Mayo have not won a championship in a long time but look at the league performances in the last few years, the gave donegal a 9 point lead and beat them, gave the dubs a 14 point lead ,drew level and ran out of steam to end up losing.

ross4life

Wexford have been tipped to win our division & they were hammered by Laois last weekend so any bit of complacency from Mayo they will be beaten.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Quote from: ross4life on February 01, 2012, 05:36:19 PM
Wexford have been tipped to win our division & they were hammered by Laois last weekend so any bit of complacency from Mayo they will be beaten.

Laois have been better in the league lately but that result probably puts more of a question mark on Wexford than an exclamation mark after Laois.

ballinaman

Quote from: mannix on February 01, 2012, 05:35:18 PM
Armagh,down and donegal are beatable for Laois and Dublin may not run as smoothly as the Dublin fans think. I like the Dublin team but two Ian a row in the championship will be hard, especially when all are gunning for you. Mayo have not won a championship in a long time but look at the league performances in the last few years, the gave donegal a 9 point lead and beat them, gave the dubs a 14 point lead ,drew level and ran out of steam to end up losing.
Was that not a draw...up in Donegal ya?

Chimley

Hard to know where everyone is at this stage of the year. Mayo cruised through the FBD more impressively last year but stumbled in the early rounds of the league. 

mannix

Quote from: ballinaman on February 01, 2012, 07:45:05 PM
Quote from: mannix on February 01, 2012, 05:35:18 PM
Was that not a draw...up in Donegal ya?

You could be right.

Keane

Are the college players all playing with their counties in these games?

Jinxy

Just got off the phone with Mayo Mick.
Mayo by 27 points.
If you were any use you'd be playing.