Sunday Sport Thank You RTE!!

Started by off the laces, February 04, 2008, 08:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

off the laces

Tuned in last night after being out in the cold all day to watch Sunday sport waiting to see either Micheal lyster or that other wee tool but alas no it was Joanne Cantwell someone to warm the blood again and she was talking about the sport we all love, the only downside was at the end she mentioned Micheal will be back next week.
I bet St Pauls loved watching a bit off eye candy!!
Keeps 'er' straight

donelli

Missed the programme
Which games did it feature???

Captain Black

tommy lyons is a waste of space as a pundit

screenexile

Hardy

He's a complete spoofer. No insight into tactics, no analysis of what happened and why. Was he on about gain lines?

Hardy

Also - Ray Silke, Setanta's "analyst". At the end of Donegal-Kerry on Sat. night he told us something along the lines of  -  you can see the disappointment on <player name>'s .... back!

mackers

Lyons slabbered for about three minutes about the Cork player's strike and I've yet to hear a point. Unbelievable! Martin Carney's an awful slabber too, but at least he made a couple of points in between the waffle.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

stpauls

Quote from: off the laces on February 04, 2008, 08:21:07 AM
Tuned in last night after being out in the cold all day to watch Sunday sport waiting to see either Micheal lyster or that other wee tool but alas no it was Joanne Cantwell someone to warm the blood again and she was talking about the sport we all love, the only downside was at the end she mentioned Micheal will be back next week.
I bet St Pauls loved watching a bit off eye candy!!

damn it, sorry i missed that now, didn't watch it as i assumed it was going to be the same as last year when they only showed the games that i had already watched that afternoon!

Jinxy

Gain lines, hard yards, immense etc. all feature heavily in the vocabulary of up and coming commentators like Silkey. Where the f*ck is the gain line in gaelic football?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

rrhf

Its quite simple "the gain line is where all the the power plays break through to bring team rewards.  Play the game where it hurts the opposition ie on the gain line.  Theres no doubt that the last few yards before the gain lines are the hardest yards to make in Gaelic football, but make them we must and it takes immense effort to make them.  I hope this helps.   

Hardy

The sad thing is that this shite will inevitably catch on and we'll be listening to it until some other moron replaces it with something even more inane and meaningless imported from f'n Gladiators or something.

Jinxy

They'll be talking about Colm Coopers "step" next. Did you ever hear a rugby commentator talking about some lad having "a great step." All it means is he can move sideways as well as forward!  ???
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

I wouldn't be surprised. And Lyons will be on about Darragh "straightening the line" and no doubt Silke will be enthusing about the work Galvin does "around the fringes".

Canning has a few prize ones too, but at least he invented them himself - like "holding up the point of the attack". I've never, in all my years around football people, heard anyone use that phrase but him. Until Saturday night, that is, when the Setanta commentator laughably regurgitated it in the Donegal - Kerry match. How low do your horizons have to be if you model yourself on Ger Canning as a commentator?

I'm only waiting now for McStay to pontificate about Darren Fay "clearing out" around the square. Has to happen.

rrhf

A two hander off the ground for the 3/4 man and its 3-2-1 toe-tap and bounce...Mind your steps! The kid rolls it onto the toe and a fine wind clinging one pointer makes it a harder game for the homebirds to lose than win now.
I think I would be in favour of the americanisation of our commentary.   

GaillimhIarthair

Jinxy / Hardy; whats in the name of jaysus is bugging the good people of Meath today ?  I know ye didn't have a game at the weekend so obviously there is a lot of pent up frustration there, but sure there's no need to be picking on the poor westies this afternoon  :D :D :D