Laois - Bits & Pieces

Started by Mossy Bruce, January 31, 2019, 10:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCFC

Quote from: Don Draper on February 16, 2019, 05:58:56 PM
Quote from: Heshs Umpire on February 16, 2019, 05:55:18 PM
Quote from: recyclebin on February 13, 2019, 09:55:07 PM
Club league fixtures are up on the website now.

No mention of the county fixtures or results. Latest news is from December!!!!
New website supposed to be in the pipeline. Badly needed.
Not worth a flying f**k unless they assign someone to update it.
True. Hopefully they streamline it a bit and make it more readable.

Mossy Bruce

Just for laughs (or not):

If you, as a Laoisman, are watching a match as a neutral where the outcome has no effect on Laois' standing, what top three counties do you tend to favor and what three counties do you tend to not like?

For me, as one who only follows hurling, I tend to shout for:
1. Clare (only because we recently found out that a part of our family originated there. Otherwise, they'd be on my "do not like" list)
2. Galway
3. Antrim (just because they are the lone hurling county up north)

I do not like:
1. Cork ( >:()
2. Limerick ( >:()
3. Carlow
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

burdizzo

Heh! Laois always love beating Offaly! Number one nemesis! So, very strange to be wanting an Offaly win today! The Dubs also would be ones everyone would like to see beat!

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: burdizzo on March 03, 2019, 10:32:13 PM
...The Dubs also would be ones everyone would like to see beat!
You're right. I can't think of ever being sympathetic to the Dubs.

I realized my first two dislikes go a bit beyond sport rivalries--more based on encounters of personalities from those areas.  ;)
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

The PRO

For some reason, I don't like Clare at all. I like seeing them lose. Cork are fierce arrogant too. I like Kilkenny best apart from ourselves and it was nice to see Galway and Limerick win the last two AI's. I've great time for Offaly too despite the number of times we've suffered at their hands.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: The PRO on March 04, 2019, 11:42:23 AM
For some reason, I don't like Clare at all. I like seeing them lose. Cork are fierce arrogant too. I like Kilkenny best apart from ourselves and it was nice to see Galway and Limerick win the last two AI's. I've great time for Offaly too despite the number of times we've suffered at their hands.

Offaly always provided hope for small counties like our own. I seriously doubt that a small hurling county will ever reach their heights again. A county needs serious money, population and focus to do well now.

steven seagal

Good thread Bruce!

I never liked Kildare, I'd happily see them beaten any day of the week. Dublin obviously as well. I never really minded Carlow until recently but the antics of their football management setup have turned me off them, so let them go and sh*te too. Probably Cork as well, I ended up in college with a load of lads from Cork and they were insufferable. Outside of that I wouldn't get too upset about any other county.

I always liked Kerry, but that's probably because I idolised Maurice Fitz growing up, and I loved watching him play. The free he kicked off the ground with his left foot into the Canal end in the 1997 All-Ireland final is one of the best points I've ever seen. Same goes for Down, I loved watching Mickey Linden and Greg Blaney and so I like to see them doing well. I liked Tipp too because we had family down there so I used to keep an eye out for them.

The PRO

I was going with hurling only.

Kildare are my number one dislike in the big ball. Then it would be Tyrone and Armagh joint second. Meath historically but they don't register much with me these times.
I love watching a good Kerry team in full flow. And I have to say, apart from that spell in the mid noughties under Pillar, I like Dublin.
Apart from that I'd love to see a different county make the breakthrough and win Sam. Hon Leitrim!

Mossy Bruce

I'm getting ready to order a hurl and investigate some training drills for my 3-week old granddaughter.

Too soon?
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

laoislad

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on June 30, 2019, 10:31:58 PM
I'm getting ready to order a hurl and investigate some training drills for my 3-week old granddaughter.

Too soon?
Its never too soon!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

The Boy Wonder

Hi Mossy,

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/the-marty-squad/

THE MARTY SQUAD COMPETITION 2019

SEARCH FOR A GAA HURLING AND FOOTBALL SUPERFAN!
THE MARTY SQUAD in conjunction with GAAGO is offering you the chance to win a great prize during the 2019 championship season.
GAAGO is a subscription based sports channel from RTÉ and the GAA - aimed at an international market and at the Irish diaspora around the world.
We want to find a hurling superfan and a football superfan living outside Ireland.

We have two prizes:

1.   One return flight home from anywhere in the world -  and two tickets for the All Ireland Hurling final
2.   One return flight home from anywhere in the world –  and two tickets for the All Ireland Football final

Mossy Bruce

Jaysus! I'm going to look into this. Thanks, Boy Wonder!
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

MasterJ

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on March 03, 2019, 10:23:33 PM
Just for laughs (or not):

If you, as a Laoisman, are watching a match as a neutral where the outcome has no effect on Laois' standing, what top three counties do you tend to favor and what three counties do you tend to not like?

For me, as one who only follows hurling, I tend to shout for:
1. Clare (only because we recently found out that a part of our family originated there. Otherwise, they'd be on my "do not like" list)
2. Galway
3. Antrim (just because they are the lone hurling county up north)

I do not like:
1. Cork ( >:()
2. Limerick ( >:()
3. Carlow

Mine are:
1.Wexford
2. Clare
3. Limerick

I don not like:
1. Offaly
2.Galway
3. Cork

Mossy Bruce

Club Hurling

I am hoping to start following club hurling. What are the main club hurling competitions in Laois that are somewhat parallel to the Walsh Cup, NHL, Joe McDonagh Cup, etc. in inter-county hurling? And what months of the year are they played? I'm fairly sure I asked this question, long ago, on Laoistalk and I am definitely sure I forgot the answer. :-[

Thanks!
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

MasterJ

There is really only a long enough league and the championship. League is played from around start of March and just ended on Wednesday. Championship from late August to Middle of October.