Jacob Rees -Mogg V Leo Varadkar

Started by T Fearon, September 09, 2017, 07:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on September 11, 2017, 09:05:45 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on September 11, 2017, 08:56:42 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 11, 2017, 08:14:11 PM
The only good thing about JRM becoming PM would be the looks on the DUP's faces when a Catholic takes charge of the UK.

Has this ever happened before? IIRC Blair didn't openly convert to Catholicism until after he left office.
Don't think a Catholic has ever led any of the main parties let alone become PM.
Iain Duncan Smith former Tory leader is a Catholic
nominally
and Disraeli was Jewish. So were Howard and Miliband
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

heganboy

Quote from: T Fearon on September 10, 2017, 12:26:07 PM
Well the DUP/UUP attract all unionist voters.Not one of their MLAs supports Gay Marriage.A referendum on gay marriage in the North would comfortably endorse the continued ban as the sizeable portion of devout catholics would combine with unionists on this issue.

Tony,
This is a series of completely unrelated statements. Tell me about this sizable portion of devout Catholics, care to put a number on it? No MLAs support gay marriage therefore none of their voters do? No turkeys vote for Christmas therefore it doesn't exist.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on September 09, 2017, 09:27:38 PM
There are,but the unionist bloc is overwhelmingly opposed to gay marriage and this is another deterrent to unity.

I'd be fairly certain that a majority of unionists would be pro marriage equality. A healthy majority

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on September 09, 2017, 10:34:07 PM
Completely and utterly wrong.How come if this is the case gay marriage has not been introduced in the North? Not a single Unionist MLA is in favour of if,unlike the sheep in SF,SDLP and Alliance who tow the party line.

Once again you prove yourself incapable of even basic analysis.

You know rightly that there is a bible belt core with high voter turnout. Unionist politicians have become beholden to this group. Does not make the group representative of unionists

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on September 10, 2017, 05:46:08 AM
Tommy it is completely and utterly wrong to suggest any significant portion of unionism favours gay marriage.If the Unionist community alone was tested in a referendum, I doubt if those in favour of it would exceed 10%.

Therefore if the aim is to attract unionism to the concept of a United Ireland,the fact that Gay marriage is legal in the south,and presumably therefore legal in any new All island dispensation,this would be another very serious deterrent.

I now know why you believe in god.

The world is a complete mystery to you

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on September 10, 2017, 12:26:07 PM
Well the DUP/UUP attract all unionist voters.Not one of their MLAs supports Gay Marriage.A referendum on gay marriage in the North would comfortably endorse the continued ban as the sizeable portion of devout catholics would combine with unionists on this issue.

Some people vote on a single issue. Some on multiple. Some attach relative importance to an issue that others don't.

Some people vote. Some don't

Some will vote on constitutional or single social issues but not bother in party based elections.

How does your complex psephological analysis weigh up these issues?

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on September 10, 2017, 05:26:49 PM
I confidently assert there is a clear majority in both communities in the North opposed to same sex marriage and I bet SF drop this red line as they know the DUP will never agree to it

I confidently assert that your grasp on reality is tenuous

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on September 11, 2017, 06:41:48 AM
It is not bullshit.Gay marriage is illegal in the North and will remain so,reflecting the wishes of a significant majority of the people including many SF and SDLP voters.

Have a referendum. That will sort it

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on September 11, 2017, 07:42:24 AM
But it undeniably represents the view on the subject of a majority of the electorate in both communities.

You don't know what "undeniably" means, do you?

T Fearon

I think the older demographic,from which the majority of votes in the North come,are highly conservative and church going in both communities,and this would comfortably reject gay marriage in any referendum.I think that is undeniable.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on September 12, 2017, 02:38:11 PM
I think the older demographic,from which the majority of votes in the North come,are highly conservative and church going in both communities,and this would comfortably reject gay marriage in any referendum.I think that is undeniable.
In any referendum?
In 20 years' time ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

T Fearon

Twenty years time who knows what will happen,with gender confusion etc.Hopefully my race will be run by that stage.

Eamonnca1

Disraeli converted away from Judaism to get elected, IIRC.

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on September 10, 2017, 05:26:49 PM
I confidently assert there is a clear majority in both communities in the North opposed to same sex marriage and I bet SF drop this red line as they know the DUP will never agree to it
Here Tony, the KKK are looking for a new leader, you should give it a go as it lines up nicely with your unchristian view of christianity.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 11, 2017, 08:00:02 PM
A simple google search shows 70% of voters in Norn Iron in favour of marriage equality.

However, Tony knows otherwise.

I do admire his chutzpah!

Here is the latest polling by LucidTalk from last week: