Limerick Hurling - A Billionaire's playground.

Started by TheGreatest, February 20, 2019, 09:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: Ash Smoker on January 06, 2021, 11:11:02 AM
I might be wrong but I don't think Limerick will ever have the same drive or focus as the great Kilkenny team at it's peak under Cody.
In counties that aren't as used to success they are quicker to drop their standards after winning an All Ireland.

A lot of these Limerick lads are now heroes with their 2 AI medals and a handful of Munster championships whilst there'd be lads in Kilkenny with that and no one would look at them twice.

The right soundings are coming from Hannon, Kiely and the lads but we'll have to wait and see if the hunger is still there for their third AI medal.

imtommygunn

He does remind me of Jim Gavin a bit. Very business like and follows a "process". Though to be fair he does show a bit more emotion when the win. Very shrewd operator Kiely and if anyone can keep them at it I think it's him.

Also it's not like they'll be able to go out on the rip regularly any time soon to overdo their celebrations...

Lar Naparka

I can't see Limerick staying on year after. top for a sustained period as there are at least a half dozen teams of roughly equal merit.
In no particular  order, Galway, Tipp, Kilkenny, Clare, Waterford or Wexford, with Dublin as a long shot, could win next year.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

johnnycool

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 06, 2021, 05:19:02 PM
I can't see Limerick staying on year after. top for a sustained period as there are at least a half dozen teams of roughly equal merit.
In no particular  order, Galway, Tipp, Kilkenny, Clare, Waterford or Wexford, with Dublin as a long shot, could win next year.

Nah, it's between Limerick and Galway for me with Waterford next. The rest are a bit off that standard IMO.

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on January 07, 2021, 03:08:19 PM

Nah, it's between Limerick and Galway for me with Waterford next. The rest are a bit off that standard IMO.

Not sure about Galway - i think they need an injection of youth and pace.  The thing is that they have loads of talent coming though - serious underage talent.

Tipp are similar to Galway - a good few lads have won a couple of All-Ireland and the squad needs a freshen up but they have 3 or 4 lads who'll come straight in also.

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on January 07, 2021, 05:53:23 PM

Not sure about Galway - i think they need an injection of youth and pace.  The thing is that they have loads of talent coming though - serious underage talent.

Tipp are similar to Galway - a good few lads have won a couple of All-Ireland and the squad needs a freshen up but they have 3 or 4 lads who'll come straight in also.

Fresh impetus is always a requirement but for my mind Galway went toe to toe with Limerick the longest and were hit with Mannions injury as he was having a big impact on their gameplan and it kinda went astray a bit when he had to leave the field. The extra weeks rest stood to Limerick, Galway had a tough slog against Tipp on a sodden Gaelic grounds the Saturday before.

With both fresh I think Galway would be best placed to give Limerick a serious rattle.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on January 08, 2021, 11:15:11 AM

Fresh impetus is always a requirement but for my mind Galway went toe to toe with Limerick the longest and were hit with Mannions injury as he was having a big impact on their gameplan and it kinda went astray a bit when he had to leave the field. The extra weeks rest stood to Limerick, Galway had a tough slog against Tipp on a sodden Gaelic grounds the Saturday before.

With both fresh I think Galway would be best placed to give Limerick a serious rattle.

Did the goals dry up for these teams? strong defenders or they are happy enough to tag on the points and not be drawn into goals..

I know Tipp and Waterford chased the goals, I could be entirely wrong and someone will throw up a stat to show that but, just thinking back
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 08, 2021, 11:43:42 AM

Did the goals dry up for these teams? strong defenders or they are happy enough to tag on the points and not be drawn into goals..

I know Tipp and Waterford chased the goals, I could be entirely wrong and someone will throw up a stat to show that but, just thinking back

Limerick don't need goals, they'll target 30 pts a game I'd say.  If goals come, they come but they'll not force it.

When your half-forwards are hitting 10 - 12 points from play, it's hard to beat in fairness.  That's the bulk of their scoring and with Gillane hitting 5 or 6 frees and Byrnes hit a couple way back the field, they're nearly at the 20 point mark.

marty34

I always though Limerick were holding Galway at arm's length - never looked like they were going to beat them.

Galway were very lucky to beat Tipp - Harte, of all people, got the goal very near the end - at the death.  Up to that, it was 50/50.  Two similar matched teams.

Probably main point from that game was the sending off of Barret.  Had he not got the second yellow, Tipp would have won I think.  There's very little between Tipp and Galway, as recent games have shown.

Limerick are a good bit ahead, especially in age profile.  They only need one or two to break onto the panel.  Look at their bench - Peter Casey, Pat Ryan and Reidy etc. Never mind the two lads in defence coming back into the full back line. Flanagan, on as a sub in recent games but stars and get full forward and keeps his place.  Serious competition for places.

Can't say the same for Galway or Tipp.  Tipp and Galway need a serious injection of youth.

Milltown Row2

Limerick were the real deal two years ago after winning it, but hit a banana skin and were bate..

You have to be on top form (and they have been to be fair) every minute, as momentum is key, once a goal and couple of points are put in against ya its difficult enough to put the afterburners on.

The age profile and and the style they play will be hard to break down, you can make the ball as heavy as you want but they are big enough to knock it further than the rest.

Teams will have to match their intensity and fitness/physicality if they are serious, their skill level is the same as the top 5, Tipp, Galway Kilkenny, Waterford Clare all have gifted hurlers, but what they lacked this year was the speed and strength. Match that and their desire to win then you've a game.

Big push on teams this year for S&C, pushing the limits
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Galway were never beating Limerick in that game. I think they are a good bit off and aren't improving.

I would say last year 9 times out of 10 Limerick beat KK. KK just came with an intensity(they were like men possessed) Limerick just didn't expect. It was a bit like Tyrone Kerry in 03.

clonadmad

Quote from: marty34 on January 08, 2021, 12:48:11 PM

I always though Limerick were holding Galway at arm's length - never looked like they were going to beat them.

Galway were very lucky to beat Tipp - Harte, of all people, got the goal very near the end - at the death.  Up to that, it was 50/50.  Two similar matched teams.

Probably main point from that game was the sending off of Barret.  Had he not got the second yellow, Tipp would have won I think.  There's very little between Tipp and Galway, as recent games have shown.

Limerick are a good bit ahead, especially in age profile.  They only need one or two to break onto the panel.  Look at their bench - Peter Casey, Pat Ryan and Reidy etc. Never mind the two lads in defence coming back into the full back line. Flanagan, on as a sub in recent games but stars and get full forward and keeps his place.  Serious competition for places.

Can't say the same for Galway or Tipp.  Tipp and Galway need a serious injection of youth.

You'd presume with galway winning 3 in a row minors 17-19 and potentially the  20202 u20 and with tipp wining the u21 in 18 and u20 in 19 the injection of youth is on its way.

clonadmad

Quote from: clonadmad on January 08, 2021, 05:25:36 PM

You'd presume with galway winning 3 in a row minors 17-19 and potentially the  2020 u20 and with tipp wining the u21 in 18 and u20 in 19 the injection of youth is on its way.

This rush to anoint Limerick as the new Kilkenny 06-15 might be a tad premature

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 08, 2021, 04:59:12 PM
Galway were never beating Limerick in that game. I think they are a good bit off and aren't improving.

I would say last year 9 times out of 10 Limerick beat KK. KK just came with an intensity(they were like men possessed) Limerick just didn't expect. It was a bit like Tyrone Kerry in 03.

I would say that was true in that game, Limerick did look to have another gear, timing though is everything and remember the odd time when Kilkenny were bate back in the day, once against Galway and once against Wexford, a burst of goals after both teams managed to stay with the Cats.

Limericks defence is stopping those avenues, I expect a tougher challenge for Limerick this year, they ain't GAA answer to Dublin football..

They better watch out for the Saffs!!

marty34

Quote from: clonadmad on January 08, 2021, 05:25:36 PM

You'd presume with galway winning 3 in a row minors 17-19 and potentially the  20202 u20 and with tipp wining the u21 in 18 and u20 in 19 the injection of youth is on its way.

But it'll take these minors and U20's a couple of years to get into it right - wait and see.  It'll not be to they're 24 or 25, at least before you see them develop properly.