All Ireland Club Championship Betting

Started by tc09731, February 08, 2011, 08:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc09731

Hello all!

I'm just wondering what way people think the club championship is going to go?
I half think O Loughlin Gaels are worth a serious punt at 4/5. I say this taking the other three teams in the championship into consideration;

I don't think the Ulster champions Loughgiel Shamrocks have enough to go the whole way.

I saw Clarinbridge in a recent challenge match and wasn't impressed with there standard of hurling. Also while not intending to take anything away from them I think they were lucky to get out of Galway. Credit them with coming through a few tight games in the latter stages but if the came up against O Loughlin Gaels in a tight dog fight I think the Kilkenny outfit would come out on top.

I see De la Salle as the main contenders to the Gaels. They have great heart and good fight in them. The memory of the trouncing they got from Portumna a few years back might give them extra motivation to avoid a similar result. John Mullane is one of the top 5 dangerous forwards and is potentially unmarkable, he is also a talismanic figure so a goal from him at the right time could be worth more than 3 points. However I recall the Munster Final against Thurles Sarsfields which the won by a narrow margin, this was a very disappointing low scoring game. The Sars didn't turn up which they are liable to doing now and again. The De La Salle forwards apart from Mullane seemed underwhelming.

The reason I fancy O Loughlin Gaels so strongly is their performance in the Kilkenny Co. Final. I watched that game shortly after seeing the Tipp final and the difference in physicality and intensity was huge, this was also in some way down to good refereeing in Kilkenny, the man in black just threw it in and let them at it. I was so impressed with the Gaels after the final I considered backing them then but I had heard good things about Oulart the Ballagh so I left it. The Gaels also have leaders in Brian Hogan and Martin Comerford in vital postions in their side as well as a good free taker.

I'm interested to see what public opinion is like or if anyone has heard anything from the team camps. I think there could be money to be made here.

Milltown Row2

Based on the Gaels first half performance against The Ballagh i thought they were shite. The second half performance was outstanding, they pulled together as a team and as you have said tc the main men, Hogan and Comerford (mainly Hogan) were the reason they won the match. I don't think the red card really changed the result.

Loughgiel wont be able to dominate Hogan, the key for them is to get the ball into the wings, low hard and very quick. Hogan will drop back further to pick up ball.  Campbell will win all the lose ball in and around the halfback line but will not mark Comerford.

Clarinbridge wont beat De La Salle, They will grind out a 2/3 point win and should they play the Gaels in the final will win. If Loughgiel get there, the could beat De La Salle!! For me the best player De La Salle is Phelan by a mile.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tc09731

I agree with you Milltown about the first half performance against The Ballagh. Very unimpressive, but they pulled it out of the bag....

Milltown Row2

Ok all this talk about the Dubs and hurling helmets are doing my head in ;) ;)

Who will win tomorrows big match? I'm going for the Gaels based on their ability to have great second half's. I know that sounds daft but they have managed to come from behind in most games and win handy enough in the end. Even against Loughgiel they were poor in the first half but steamrolled them in the second.

Gaels by 3 points.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 16, 2011, 04:37:33 PM

Who will win tomorrows big match? I'm going for the Gaels based on their ability to have great second half's. I know that sounds daft but they have managed to come from behind in most games and win handy enough in the end. Even against Loughgiel they were poor in the first half but steamrolled them in the second.

Gaels by 3 points.

If Mark Kerins can even break even with Brian Hogan then Clarenbridge have a chance, I can see the brother Alan being dispatched onto Hogan as I can't see that happening.

Hogan is a horse of a man who drives on that team.

The gaels just to shade it in hopefully a good open game.

Minder

Going for Clarinbridge, think they have great pace and mobility in the forwards.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on March 16, 2011, 04:57:02 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 16, 2011, 04:37:33 PM

Gaels by 3 points.

If Mark Kerins can even break even with Brian Hogan then Clarenbridge have a chance, I can see the brother Alan being dispatched onto Hogan as I can't see that happening.

Hogan is a horse of a man who drives on that team.

The gaels just to shade it in hopefully a good open game.

Totally agree Johnney, and can hurl a fair bit also, be sure to see him at CHB again setting up a lot of attacks.

Mark Kerins and Alan Kerins are two cracking forwards, they will get their fair share of ball and scores. Fancy Clarinbridge to edge the first half and get caught at the death in a cracking game.

Mark Kerins could easily fit back into that Galway team i believe. As for Alan well would be nice to see him get a winners medal for both codes at this level, be some feat

seafoid

Full Time: Clarinbridge 2-18 O'Loughlin Gaels 0-12

1525 From Declan in San Francisco 'Crossmaglen have a great chance today.'

1522 A deserved win for the Galway champions, who despite starting nervously, got the measure of their opponents with the Kerins' brothers, David Burke and Enda Collins all contributing handsomely to a famous victory.

62 min: GAME OVER Clarinbridge 2-18 O'Loughlin Gaels 0-12

61 min Seamie Cummins of Loughlin Gaels is sent off for a wild swing on Conor Forde.

60 min 1 minute of additional time. All academic now. Martin Comerford has only scored 0-01 in this game.

58 min Very loose pull on the Clarinbridge keeper O'Donoghue. Yellow card for Danny Loughnane as a result. The Clarinbridge supporters are in full song now.

54 min Great celebration no doubt awaits in Clarinbridge as they celebrate a first All-Ireland success. O'Loughlin have only scored twice in the second half. Mark Bergin 30-yard free is brilliantly saved by Liam O'Donoghue in the Clarinbridge goal.

52 min GOAL GOAL! Eoin Forde finishes the game as a contest with a fine solo goal. That's 1-04 for him so far.

52 min It's a 1-7 now for Mark Kerins as he belts over a point from 55 yards.

50 min Midfielder Eanna Murphy chips in with a point for the westerners. O'Loughlin Gaels now look a dispirited lot.

46 min Eddie Kearns fouls Paul Coen of Clarinbridge and gets a card. Mark Kerins misses a simple 20-yard free, but he atones in fine style with a point from an acute angle - 40 yards out. One-way traffic now. The Kilkenny side need a goal.

45 min Eoin Forde tops what Kerins just did. Super point from 55 yards.

44 min Alan Kerins scored a majestic point from 50 yards. Niall McEvoy & Martin Comerford need to step yp to the plate for the Kilkenny side.

42 min Clarinbridge's tackling is tenacious. Eoin Forde fires over his third point of the day. The Galway faithful are beginning to believe. They are now the dominant force.

40 min Mark Bergin point narrows the gap. Brian Hogan not as dominant now for O'Loughlin as he was in the first half.

38 min The midfield battle seems to be going the way of Clarinbridge. A 65 from Mark Kerins goes straight over. David Forde No 6 for Clarinbridge is playing well. Enda Collins gets his second point. He has made a telling impact.

37 min Mark Bergin respoonds with a point for O'Loughlin G.

36 min Sub Enda Collins, following a lovely pass from Mark Kerins, puts the Connacht side three clear.

35 min Mark Bergin with another free puts Clarinbridge two clear. They now have momentum.

34 min Mark Bergin misses his fourth free of the day. Seamie Cummins on for the Kilkenny side.

31 min Early free for Clarinbridge. From 20 yards out Mark Kerins and the Galway side hit the front for the first time.

1446 Second half underway.

1443 From Pat Walsh: Kilbeacanty man here pulling for Clarenbridge!!!!!!

1434 The sides are level, but overall the Kilkenny side played the better hurling in the opening period. However, a late surge from Clarinbridge ahas reaped dividends and we are set up for an interesting second period.

34 min Mark Kerins is fouled by two players. Penalty awarded. Kerins' shot is tipped over the bar and the half-time whistle is blown.

32 min GOAL! Mark Kerins goal for Clarinbridge after a long through ball. O'Loughlin Gaels' Andy Kearns gets a yellow card for a foul on Kerins.

1426 From Aonghus Kelly in Sarajevo: 'Keeping an eye on the updates on rte.ie, hopefully the Bridge can pull it back, Brigids triumph and Clongowes win in the RDS.'

32 min Alan Geoghegan scores his second point of the game to break the Clarinbridge momentum.

29 min The West is wakening up and Eoin Forde narrows the gap to three points.

28 min Alan Kerins goes down the field and fires over a fine point for Clarinbridge. Enda Collins in for Stephen Forde on the Clarinbridge side. Three minutes of added time.

27 min Martin Comerford, who has making angles for other players to get possession, scores a fine point.

26 min Jamie Cannon, on the ru,n fires over the best point of the day for Clarinbridge.

23 min Mark Kerins now in midfield for Clarinbridge. Break in play with Brian Burke down injured for the westerners. The magic spray is applied.

22 min The Kilkenny side are scoring with no pressure being applied. Their use of possession is much more economical and they look a much more driven team. Maurice Nolan bangs over another long range point.

21 min Alan Geoghegan, best player on the park, gets his name on the scoreboard with a fine point.

19 min Extra bit of intensity in the game now, Midfield exchanges are hard fought. O'Loughlin G have four wides on the board - Clarinbridge have two.

18 min Mark Kerins' free drops short. Paul Coen picks up the pieces and takes his point. Alan Geoghegan of O'Loughlin G is acquitting himself well in the half-forward line.

16 min The teams today are playing for the Tommy Moore Cup. Mark Bergin is getting far too much space in the middlle of the field and he fires over a fine point.

15 min The Kerins brothers combine - Alan to Mark - and it's over the bar. Clarinbridge now starting to find their stride.

14 min Mark Bergin (0-03) regains his composure and fires over on the run from 45 yards.

13 min Mark Bergin misses an easy free. O'Loughlin Gaels dominant in the half-back line.

1410 'Living and working in London and in work until 3 p.m, will make it back home to watch the Brigid's game! Good Luck to Brigid's from all in Elphin! (Elphin were the beaten Finalists in the Roscommon County Final).' Caitriona Brennan

11 min Clarinbridge off the mark thanks to a long range Eoin Forde point.

9 min Best score of the day from Danny Loughnane. Impossible angle on the Cusack Stand, but the hurley maker had his radar in and O'Loughlin move four clear. No decent ball as of yet has found its way towards the Clarinbridge inside forward line and the Kernins'

7 min A lot of timely intercepts in this game, allied with good stickwork. Paul Coen points for the Galway side, but he takes too many steps. Eagle eyed ref does his job correctly.

5 min Clarinbridge have their first shot in anger at the opposing side, but it drifts harmlessly wide.

4 min O'Loughlin Gaels continue to pile on the pressure and Danny Loughnane fires over from an acute angle.

3 min Bergin atones with a point from 40 yards.

2 min Martin Comerford has started well for the Kilkenny side. Mark Bergin misses an easy free from 30 yards. Looked to me that the ball sailed between the posts.

1 min First score of the game goes to Mark Bergin of o'Loughlin Gaels. Lively start from both sides.

1400 The game is on.

seafoid

And no clarinbridge hurler on the county team last year.
Maybe things are looking up for Galway hurling. 

deiseach

Ah, how close were De La Salle! Well done Clarinbridge

seafoid

When is the last time a Waherford team won the club championship ?
I would prefer a senior intercounty all Ireland TBH.   

deiseach

Quote from: seafoid on March 17, 2011, 05:02:09 PM

Never. Mount Sion lost in the final to James Stephens in 1981 - presumably Cody was playing that day - and we all know what happened to DLS two years ago. That's the size of Waterford's participation on the big day. And yes, I'd rather win the inter-county All-Ireland, any inter-county All-Ireland. But I'll take them from where I can get them

johnneycool

Quote from: deiseach on March 17, 2011, 05:14:05 PM

Never. Mount Sion lost in the final to James Stephens in 1981 - presumably Cody was playing that day - and we all know what happened to DLS two years ago. That's the size of Waterford's participation on the big day. And yes, I'd rather win the inter-county All-Ireland, any inter-county All-Ireland. But I'll take them from where I can get them

Would David Forde not be worth a shout again on the Galway team, certainly panel anyway?

A very cocky Mount Sion bit the dust against Dunloy in an AI semi-final at some stage IIRC.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: johnneycool on March 18, 2011, 01:32:14 PM
Quote from: deiseach on March 17, 2011, 05:14:05 PM

Would David Forde not be worth a shout again on the Galway team, certainly panel anyway?

Of the Clarinbridge team only Eoin Forde and Barry Daly are on the Galway panel. Obviously Alan and Mark Kerins are more than good enough but both are in the twilight of their careers now. You would think they would still have something to offer though even if were just for 15-20 minutes of a game alright. David Forde is another ex-panel member but hard to see where he would fit in. He played a lot for Galway at centre-back and Galway have Tony Og and John Lee for that position now. He wouldn't have the wristy hurling for wing-back compared to David Collins, Adrian Cullinane, Donal Barry, etc.  He also played a bit in the half-forward line too and even though galway aren't as blessed there it would still be hard to see him getting a game ahead of Iarla Tannian, Cyril Donnellan, etc.

Milltown Row2

Gaels were outstanding for the first 28 minutes but must be wondering WTF happened in those closing minutes to lose the game. Having started really well i
I thought Clarinbridge were going to get hammered but to their credit and the managers credit also they turned it around.

Goals win finals and so it proved yesterday it spurred them on in the last moments  of the first half and killed the Gaels off in the second.

Playing Alan Kerins around the middle paid of, for he won a lot of ball and used it really well. The right half back for the Bridge (no.5) was having a stormer in the first half when his team mates were lost. While the game was over with 15 minutes to go they it was still some game to be fair. the running stickwork of the Galway boys was top class.

Final note, really pleased that Alan Kerins has now got himself two All Ireland medals at different codes he will go down as one of the beset dual players after achieving this in a time when the dual players at this level anyway are dying off.