All Ireland prelimQFs: Mayo/Derry, Galway/Monaghan, Tyrone/Roscommon, Louth/Cork

Started by omagh_gael, June 15, 2024, 08:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rebel84

Think Derry have a chance as I can recall in recent times that Mayo were fortunate enough to beat Derry and Armagh in knockout at Castlebar.

RedHand88

Quote from: Rebel84 on June 18, 2024, 08:42:59 AMThink Derry have a chance as I can recall in recent times that Mayo were fortunate enough to beat Derry and Armagh in knockout at Castlebar.

Yes but in even more recent times Derry have been beyond crap and Mayo have been putting it up to Dublin.

statto

Quote from: Derryman forever on June 18, 2024, 08:21:17 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 18, 2024, 07:47:44 AMYou don't go from a good to a bad team overnight l there might be some fight in them now it is actual knockout. Might I say...

Derry appear to be the team that went from good to bad overnight.
The form of McGuigan, Doherty, Cassidy has fallen off a cliff.  Rogers has been poor all year really and Glass has not been dominating games the way he has through Glens AI win and in alot of games since his return to Derry.

This may be a game that they needed to get them going, but in the Westmeath game last week they looked like a team that needed out out of their misery. 

imtommygunn

Teams are onto them a bit more. Cassidy is looking for his right foot and McGuigan for his left. You could visibly see Cassidy being pushed out to his left a lot on saturday and being unable to shoot. That sounds simple but you could see the frustration in Cassidy. I don't think Glass really dominated games at county - he was very good and played a holding position etc very well but Rodgers complimented him very well. He's not doing that now as he's off form. Rodgers on his day is great but he becomes very petulant when things not going his way.

There surely has to be something in them though? McEvoy with another game under his belt and McKinless coming back surely has to help them. Surely?

Loughlin probably a bigger miss than people realise not to mention Doherty and McKinless. HB was their platform to bolster their attack and it is basically gone so the attack is a lot more isolated.

LeoMc

Quote from: snoopdog on June 17, 2024, 09:35:56 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on June 17, 2024, 07:16:13 PM
Quote from: The Trap on June 17, 2024, 05:44:52 PMEven worse for attendances I would have thought.
All to suit Tailteann Cup games on Sunday 🤣
They have to show they are taking the Intermediate championship seriously. If the Senior and Intermediate games has clashed there would have been moaning about lack of respect and shoehorning games in.
They did it last year stuck Mayo V Galway on rte same time as the tailteann.
Maybe they have listened to the gurning from last year.

HiMucker

Quote from: statto on June 18, 2024, 08:55:47 AM
Quote from: Derryman forever on June 18, 2024, 08:21:17 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 18, 2024, 07:47:44 AMYou don't go from a good to a bad team overnight l there might be some fight in them now it is actual knockout. Might I say...

Derry appear to be the team that went from good to bad overnight.
The form of McGuigan, Doherty, Cassidy has fallen off a cliff.  Rogers has been poor all year really and Glass has not been dominating games the way he has through Glens AI win and in alot of games since his return to Derry.

This may be a game that they needed to get them going, but in the Westmeath game last week they looked like a team that needed out out of their misery. 
Would agree with you bar Ethan Doherty, Think hes been one of the players that has been consistently performing.

HiMucker

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 18, 2024, 09:03:50 AMTeams are onto them a bit more. Cassidy is looking for his right foot and McGuigan for his left. You could visibly see Cassidy being pushed out to his left a lot on saturday and being unable to shoot. That sounds simple but you could see the frustration in Cassidy. I don't think Glass really dominated games at county - he was very good and played a holding position etc very well but Rodgers complimented him very well. He's not doing that now as he's off form. Rodgers on his day is great but he becomes very petulant when things not going his way.

There surely has to be something in them though? McEvoy with another game under his belt and McKinless coming back surely has to help them. Surely?

Loughlin probably a bigger miss than people realise not to mention Doherty and McKinless. HB was their platform to bolster their attack and it is basically gone so the attack is a lot more isolated.
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 18, 2024, 09:03:50 AMTeams are onto them a bit more. Cassidy is looking for his right foot and McGuigan for his left. You could visibly see Cassidy being pushed out to his left a lot on saturday and being unable to shoot. That sounds simple but you could see the frustration in Cassidy. I don't think Glass really dominated games at county - he was very good and played a holding position etc very well but Rodgers complimented him very well. He's not doing that now as he's off form. Rodgers on his day is great but he becomes very petulant when things not going his way.

For sure. McGuigan has especially missed his presence. Does some amount of work and is always a scoring threat.

Captain Obvious

Derry beat Mayo by five points in MacHale Park in March. 13 of Derry players that started that day are available for selection this Saturday.

screenexile

I think Derry Mayo will be an interesting one. Will Derry go for the man on man style that worked so well against Dublin and so poorly against Donegal and Armagh or will they play more like they did against Westmeath conceding kickouts and setting up the blanket?

Mayo have struggled against the blanket especially against Galway so I think Derry have a chance if we go back to basics for this one. If we go man to man the way we've been playing recently I think we'll get beat out the gate!

WhoDat

Quote from: Truthsayer on June 17, 2024, 01:52:23 PM
Quote from: WhoDat on June 17, 2024, 11:45:57 AMderry will beat mayo
I seen nothing at the weekend that shows Derry have sorted the mess out. Against very middling opposition they were lucky not to cough up another few ridiculous goals, the confidence was on the floor and only a late goal saw them to safety. McStay seemed very focused on the next challenge after drawing with the Dubs while Harte is going over nonsense about critics and empty vessels.. a tactic he uses to employ a siege mentality. Can't see  Derry win...

it's the perfect draw for derry. if they'd drawn someone else like a tyrone or a louth, i actually wouldn't be surprised to see them limp out. i just think it would be impossible for a game like this against opposition like mayo to not get the blood pumping for a team of derry's type, no matter what's going on behind the scenes. perfect opportunity to get the heads together and develop a siege mentality. they're going to be dismissed all week and it's just setting the stage.

further, mayo looked very dejected at the end of their game against dublin. i think they were really, really disappointed to not win that game and showed incredible naivety in the last 20 seconds. there's still an element of the flake in mayo, i wouldn't trust them at all to get the job done even against a team that is supposedly in a shambles in the dressing room.

From the Bunker

Quote from: WhoDat on June 18, 2024, 01:19:52 PM
I seen nothing at the weekend that shows Derry have sorted the mess out. Against very middling opposition they were lucky not to cough up another few ridiculous goals, the confidence was on the floor and only a late goal saw them to safety. McStay seemed very focused on the next challenge after drawing with the Dubs while Harte is going over nonsense about critics and empty vessels.. a tactic he uses to employ a siege mentality. Can't see  Derry win...

it's the perfect draw for derry. if they'd drawn someone else like a tyrone or a louth, i actually wouldn't be surprised to see them limp out. i just think it would be impossible for a game like this against opposition like mayo to not get the blood pumping for a team of derry's type, no matter what's going on behind the scenes. perfect opportunity to get the heads together and develop a siege mentality. they're going to be dismissed all week and it's just setting the stage.

further, mayo looked very dejected at the end of their game against dublin. i think they were really, really disappointed to not win that game and showed incredible naivety in the last 20 seconds. there's still an element of the flake in mayo, i wouldn't trust them at all to get the job done even against a team that is supposedly in a shambles in the dressing room.

Jez, you are talking up and talking down a fair bit there. Personally I think that both will be goosed for their game the following week against a rested Kerry/Dublin/Armagh/Donegal. So Saturdays result is of little consequence in the scheme of things. Derry have been flat now for 2 months.

WhoDat

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 18, 2024, 08:08:10 PM

Jez, you are talking up and talking down a fair bit there. Personally I think that both will be goosed for their game the following week against a rested Kerry/Dublin/Armagh/Donegal. So Saturdays result is of little consequence in the scheme of things. Derry have been flat now for 2 months.

didn't say either would do anything the following week. in fact i don't think any of the teams in the prelims will get a sniff of an all ireland final to be quite honest. i just think derry have a kick in them yet, there was some fighting talk from their camp last weekend post-match, and i don't think mayo are the type of team that effectively puts the opposition away early and firmly enough and once derry get a sniff of blood, they could easily grow into the game.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: WhoDat on June 18, 2024, 08:48:28 PM

didn't say either would do anything the following week. in fact i don't think any of the teams in the prelims will get a sniff of an all ireland final to be quite honest. i just think derry have a kick in them yet, there was some fighting talk from their camp last weekend post-match, and i don't think mayo are the type of team that effectively puts the opposition away early and firmly enough and once derry get a sniff of blood, they could easily grow into the game.

My thoughts on this when I heard the draw. Derry are the type of team that Mayo have struggled against. This is the perfect draw for Derry to get their season back on track. All I am hearing everywhere is how Derry are a beaten docket.
What better man than Mickey Harte to create a siege in the camp.

This could go any way
Hasta la victoria siempre

sensethetone

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on June 19, 2024, 01:03:21 AM
Quote from: WhoDat on June 18, 2024, 08:48:28 PM

My thoughts on this when I heard the draw. Derry are the type of team that Mayo have struggled against. This is the perfect draw for Derry to get their season back on track. All I am hearing everywhere is how Derry are a beaten docket.
What better man than Mickey Harte to create a siege in the camp.

This could go any way

Absolutely, he'll want the bus to stop for mass @Knock.

naka