Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_geezer

looks gr8, cheers

grounded

Tubeless. Anyone running them on the road bike?

markl121

Quote from: grounded on June 01, 2023, 01:44:18 PM
Haven't attempted it yet. A bit daunted by them, have tubeless ready wheels but haven't took the plunge

manfromdelmonte

All bikes are tubeless. Great job. Buy syringe and sealant and top them up yourself every few months. Always bring a spare tube in case you need to get home

grounded

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 02, 2023, 06:37:05 AM
All bikes are tubeless. Great job. Buy syringe and sealant and top them up yourself every few months. Always bring a spare tube in case you need to get home

Definitely see its use on mountain/cyclo cross. The few times ive seen a puncture with it on a road bike the sealant sprayed out like a fountain. It couldn't seal the puncture when pressure was put into the road tyre. Ended up putting  a tube in and removing valve etc which was a messy bollix of a job.
            In fairness these were big enough tears in the tyre and i assume it would work and seal the tyre on pin holes.
      Have you noticed less punctures? Is that the sole benefit of it or is there a noticeable difference in comfort on the bike?
     Just wondered as you see more and more new bikes coming tubless or tubless ready.

bennydorano

In the past couple of years I've been in groups that have encountered probably 4/5 punctures running tubeless - I think one of those the sealant kicked in correctly, the others ended up putting in tubes (& one phonecall home from myself). I went back to tubes on my new bike.

* A caveat - - as was pointed out to me once,  there are occasions with tubeless when you only realise you've had a puncture when u get home - the sealant has done it's job unbeknownst to you, how often that has happened I dunno - defo at least once in our gang.

maddog

I've tubeless ready wheels but never bothered with it. Tyre and inner do alright. Carry couple of spares in the saddle bag.

maddog

Quote from: The_geezer on May 31, 2023, 11:06:22 AM
Any of you keener cyclists have any recommendations for a good pair of bib shorts without breaking the bank? am doing IM Cork in august so it will be a long day in the saddle TIA

Bought a couple of pair in Decathlon in France which were about 35euro. Seem sound.

manfromdelmonte

Galibier do good quality cycling gear at a fair price

Tubeless is great in a race if they seal. I've had sealant spray out on the first lap of a race and make it to the end and still get up the front of a finish

grounded

Quote from: bennydorano on June 02, 2023, 03:46:07 PM
In the past couple of years I've been in groups that have encountered probably 4/5 punctures running tubeless - I think one of those the sealant kicked in correctly, the others ended up putting in tubes (& one phonecall home from myself). I went back to tubes on my new bike.

* A caveat - - as was pointed out to me once,  there are occasions with tubeless when you only realise you've had a puncture when u get home - the sealant has done it's job unbeknownst to you, how often that has happened I dunno - defo at least once in our gang.

This is it. I'd always assumed that going tubeless was more for those racing(so if there was a pin hole puncture that the sealant would plug the gap and allow the racer to finish.
            There doesnt really seem to be any noticeable difference in comfort(purely anecdotal from those who i know ride them on the road).
            From what i seen of those punctures the sealant sprayed everywhere including all over the brake rotor. It was a messy job to put a tube in and an absolute nightmare to get the tyre off and back on.
            They do seem to be heavily marketed by the industry and will probably be standard soon(if not already!)

bennydorano

See a TDF Documentary landing on Netflix 2moro

JimStynes

Quote from: bennydorano on June 07, 2023, 06:47:58 PM
See a TDF Documentary landing on Netflix 2moro

Saw that! Looks decent!

markl121

Genuinely gutted by the news

maddog

First serious shots fired in the TDF yesterday. Vingegaard left Pogacar for dead on final mountain taking about a minute by the line. In fact he took most of that minute from where he attacked to the top of the mountain which was what 2 or 3km ? Would not be great signs for Pogacar coming back from injury and without ideal preparation. Maybe if he can ride himself into some form he can have a big last week but race could be gone from him by then.
Jai Hindley road a crafty race, very surprised that he was allowed to stay in the breakaway at around 4 mins when he is a Giro winner. Too dangerous and finds himself in yellow. So Bora likely have to control the race today which is good for UAE and Jumbo Visma. Another big day today cross the Col D'aspin at 1500mtrs and the tourmalet at 2115mtrs. Summit finish as well.