McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitegoodman

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 05, 2012, 03:42:24 PM
Mickey Harte is 100% correct in picking the lads to play for Tyrone. I suspect these fellas would prefer to play for their county as it could lead to playing in the biggest games in the GAA calendar, so its nonsense to suggest that these players should be forced to play for their Universities. Although the Sigerson is a mighty competition it is not quite as important as those involved in it actually think it is. What is the average attendance at Sigerson Cup finals? Ive been to a few and it would be no more than a big McKenna cup game.

As for the point about Peter Harte being an established Tyrone player? In my opinion that just isnt true yet and he, as much as anyone, needs games in a Tyrone jersey. What i saw last year was an immensely talented player, who was struggling at times with the demands of inter county football. More games with experienced Tyrone players in the less pressurised environment of the McKenna cup will only help his progression.

Nail on head.

Players should have the choice to play for whichever team they want.  If I was a young player trying to break into a county panel I know which team Id prefer to be playing for.

As has been said those who have played sigerson football appear to make more of it than others and I do believe that the level it is played at is exaggerated a tat with some very average players playing.  The mckenna cup should be used firstly as a buildup to the national league for county teams, sigerson second.

trileacman

Quote from: whitegoodman on January 05, 2012, 08:43:24 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on January 05, 2012, 03:42:24 PM
Mickey Harte is 100% correct in picking the lads to play for Tyrone. I suspect these fellas would prefer to play for their county as it could lead to playing in the biggest games in the GAA calendar, so its nonsense to suggest that these players should be forced to play for their Universities. Although the Sigerson is a mighty competition it is not quite as important as those involved in it actually think it is. What is the average attendance at Sigerson Cup finals? Ive been to a few and it would be no more than a big McKenna cup game.

As for the point about Peter Harte being an established Tyrone player? In my opinion that just isnt true yet and he, as much as anyone, needs games in a Tyrone jersey. What i saw last year was an immensely talented player, who was struggling at times with the demands of inter county football. More games with experienced Tyrone players in the less pressurised environment of the McKenna cup will only help his progression.

Nail on head.

Players should have the choice to play for whichever team they want.  If I was a young player trying to break into a county panel I know which team Id prefer to be playing for.

As has been said those who have played sigerson football appear to make more of it than others and I do believe that the level it is played at is exaggerated a tat with some very average players playing.  The mckenna cup should be used firstly as a buildup to the national league for county teams, sigerson second.

I disagree. It's not like Tyrone would have a lack of talented players to try out in the McKenna Cup. The college ruling would be sorer on the smaller pools of players such as Fermanagh and Antrim.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

BennyHarp

It's a massive year for Mickey and Tyrone - it may possibly be make or break for him and he has every right to pick the players he wants. With a ridiculous winter training ban, the McKenna cup is the only prep he has for the league - I'm sure he won't want an unprepared team lining out in less than a month in front of 50,000 people at Croke Park?
That was never a square ball!!

never kickt a ball

Quote from: tonysoprano on January 02, 2012, 12:37:00 PM
Anybody know anywhere to view odds on McKenna cup?

Ladbrokes odds on McKenna Cup

Tyrone    9/4
      Derry    4/1
      Donegal    5/1
      Down    7/1
      Armagh    8/1
      Monaghan    8/1
      UUJ            10/1
      Queens    10/1
      Fermanagh 14/1
      Cavan    20/1
      Antrim    20/1
                St Marys    40/1

never kickt a ball

Match odds from Ladbrokes

08 Jan. 14:00

Tyrone vs Queens - (McKenna Cup)
   4/11    8/1    5/2

Fermanagh vs Antrim - (McKenna Cup)
   10/11    13/2    11/10

Monaghan vs St Marys - (McKenna Cup)
   1/7    10/1    5/1

Down vs Armagh - (McKenna Cup)
   2/3    13/2    3/2

Derry vs Cavan - (McKenna Cup)
   4/9    8/1    2/1

Donegal vs UUJ - (McKenna Cup)
   2/5    15/2    9/4

Waterford vs Tralee IT - (McGrath Cup)
   2/3    13/2    3/2

Clare vs UL - (McGrath Cup)
   1/2    15/2    15/8

Roscommon vs GMIT - (FBD League )
   4/9    8/1    2/1

Mayo vs Leitrim - (FBD League )
   1/5    9/1    4/1

Galway vs NUIG - (FBD League )
   8/11    13/2    11/8

Meath vs Wexford - (O'Byrne Cup)
   1/2    15/2    15/8

Wicklow vs DCU - (O'Byrne Cup)
   5/2    8/1    4/11

Longford vs Athlone IT - (O'Byrne Cup)
   2/7    17/2    3/1

Kildare vs Dublin IT - (O'Byrne Cup)
   2/3    13/2    3/2

Offaly vs Westmeath - (O'Byrne Cup)
   5/6    13/2    6/5

Carlow vs Dublin - (O'Byrne Cup)
   4/1    9/1    1/5

Laois vs UCD - (O'Byrne Cup)
   11/8    13/2    8/11

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: PAULD123 on January 05, 2012, 08:31:43 AM

Micky harte is a great manager and must be admired. But his continual disrespect to the McKenna cup is a disgrace. It should be simple. It should not be the players choice. If teh University wants them then they should be cup-tied to the university, whether they choose to play or not. No player should be allowed to opt out of the uni team to play for the county. The only reason a player should be able to play for his county while at uni should be if the uni team state they don't want him.

Harte has always aimed to win the McKenna Cup, unlike some who treat it very much as preparation for the challenges ahead and aren't so concerned about winning the matches. How can Harte be  "disrespecting" the tournament by trying to get the strongest possible collection of players together for it? ??? Tyrone are building a new team and need every possible chance to see the players in competitive games, I think he is quite correct.

Orchardman

Despite my previous criticism of harte, i do agree he actually done the cup a good turn in the past by going full tilt at winning it. I seem to remember Tyrone winning it nearly all the time in his first 5 years anyway.

Not sure what Tyrone posters would say but I would imagine there was always something special with the fact that the late Cormac McAnallen played his last game (I think it was delayed til late feb) in a McKenna cup final, and his one and only cup as senior captain.

regal

On the Armagh squad - what club does Niall Geoghan play for? Good to see Swift back and good to see the 2 maghery boys get a chance. Still no sign of Stefan Forker?

ONeill

Quote from: bigfrank on January 05, 2012, 08:16:08 PM

1 John Devine – Aireagal Chiaráin
2 PJ Quinn – Baile na Móna
3 Justin McMahon – An Omaigh
4 Damian McCaul – Domhnach Mór
5 Sean O'Neill – An Droim Mór
6 Peter Harte – Aireagal Chiaráin
7 Stephen McNally – Oileán a'Ghuail
8 Aidan Cassidy – Eochar
9 Colm Cavanagh – An Mhaigh
10 Matthew Donnelly – Trí Leac
11 Martin Penrose – Achadh Uí Aráin
12 Michael Murphy – Gallbhaile
13 Patrick McNiece – Oilean a'Ghuail
14 Jonathan Lafferty – Urnaí
15 Tommy McGuigan – Árd Bó

17 Dermot Carlin – Coill an Chlochair
18 Conor Clarke – An Omaigh
19 Kyle Coney – Árd Bó
20 Ciaran Gervin – Doire Locháin
21 Peter Hughes – Eiscreach
22 Aidan McCrory – Aireagal Chiaráin
23 Niall McKenna – Domhnach Mór
24 Ronan McNamee – Achadh Uí Aráin
25 Stephen McNulty – Cluain Eo
26 Ronan O'Neill – An Omaigh

Interesting enough. I'd imagine we'll see the subs heavily involved too.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Robert Emmet Park

Would highly back Londonderry to win and yes I am a protestant and I follow the GAA, quite vividly.

BennyCake

Quote from: regal on January 05, 2012, 11:35:49 PM
On the Armagh squad - what club does Niall Geoghan play for? Good to see Swift back and good to see the 2 maghery boys get a chance. Still no sign of Stefan Forker?

According to the Armagh forum, he's studying in England.

Winnie Peg

Micky Harte is correct in going for the McKenna Cup.

With a team like that, he won't win too much else.

Crossmaglen would give that team some roasting.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Robert Emmet Park on January 05, 2012, 11:42:40 PM
Would highly back Londonderry to win and yes I am a protestant and I follow the GAA, quite vividly.

Not vividly enough to know there is no team called londonderry in the mckenna cup no matter what you would like them to be called. Anyway, I predict Cavan will beat derry on Sunday. Btw, where I'm from plenty of protestants play and follow gaa - you are not alone.

ONeill

Who are missing from that Tyrone squad?

Sean Cavanagh, Ricey, Gormley, Joe McMahon, Hub, Mugsy, Davy Harte, Stephen O'Neill....?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Robert Emmet Park

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 06, 2012, 12:07:16 AM
Quote from: Robert Emmet Park on January 05, 2012, 11:42:40 PM

Not vividly enough to know there is no team called londonderry in the mckenna cup no matter what you would like them to be called. Anyway, I predict Cavan will beat derry on Sunday. Btw, where I'm from plenty of protestants play and follow gaa - you are not alone.

Listen, there are 32 Counties in Northern Ireland and down south, and 31 of them have a Gaelic football team with the exact same name as there county so why should Londonderry be called Derry, I think it is highly disrespectful to the British by dropping the London. So I will not rest until Londonderry is placed upon the GAA jersey of Londonderry and also they replace the Derry written on the Sam Maguire Cup with Londonderry.