The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: easytiger95 on March 01, 2017, 12:46:15 PM
I have just started reading Andrew Lees' "The Holocaust" - it's a detailed history of the philosophy behind, lead up to, and events of, the Holocaust.

I'm only 50 pages in and still on Hitler's rise, and on at least 10 occasions so far, I've been stunned by the parallels between Hitler's methodology and Trump's. It is petrifying.

BUT... and it's a big but...Hitler was clearly a true believer, an ideologue who quite clearly wanted to fashion the world to his vision. Trump quite clearly is not. I don't doubt that he is racist (his court records prove it) or anti-Semitic (his speech to that Jewish organization last year before the election was incredible) but he is also dumb and selfish. He has no philosophy and why get rid of Jews and blacks when you can make money off them? Immigrants and Muslims - just keep them out.

Hitler was a different kettle of fish. The question for us all now is, just what kind of men his aides are, because the only logical reason they are there is to wield power whilst he golfs.
Richard Spencer wants to create the conditions in which a white US is possible. Bannon wants a holy war. . De Vos Wants to privatisé education. Cohn wants the 1% to own more. Trump.wants to cut taxes for billionaires.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hardy

I have just started reading Andrew Lees' "The Holocaust" - it's a detailed history of the philosophy behind, lead up to, and events of, the Holocaust.

I'm only 50 pages in and still on Hitler's rise, and on at least 10 occasions so far, I've been stunned by the parallels between Hitler's methodology and Trump's. It is petrifying.

BUT... and it's a big but...Hitler was clearly a true believer, an ideologue who quite clearly wanted to fashion the world to his vision. Trump quite clearly is not. I don't doubt that he is racist (his court records prove it) or anti-Semitic (his speech to that Jewish organization last year before the election was incredible) but he is also dumb and selfish. He has no philosophy and why get rid of Jews and blacks when you can make money off them? Immigrants and Muslims - just keep them out.

Hitler was a different kettle of fish. The question for us all now is, just what kind of men his aides are, because the only logical reason they are there is to wield power whilst he golfs.

I agree with that, easytiger, except that the relevant comparison is not that between Hitler and Trump but the one between Hitler and Bannon. Trump has no ideology that I can discern other than self-aggrandisement. As I've said before, he is the proverbial useful idiot - a mouthpiece for Bannon, Mercer et al, that they could't have designed better if they had set out to do it.

But it just fell into their laps as Trump careered through the primaries and I'm sure they were as surprised as anyone else when he ended up as the candidate. It didn't take them long to realise their good fortune. Suddenly Mercer is funding Trump's campaign and suddenly his close associate Bannon, out of nowhere, is the Chief Strategist - part of the funding deal, I presume.

seafoid

Quote from: Hardy on March 01, 2017, 01:12:53 PM

I agree with that, easytiger, except that the relevant comparison is not that between Hitler and Trump but the one between Hitler and Bannon. Trump has no ideology that I can discern other than self-aggrandisement. As I've said before, he is the proverbial useful idiot - a mouthpiece for Bannon, Mercer et al, that they could't have designed better if they had set out to do it.

But it just fell into their laps as Trump careered through the primaries and I'm sure they were as surprised as anyone else when he ended up as the candidate. It didn't take them long to realise their good fortune. Suddenly Mercer is funding Trump's campaign and suddenly his close associate Bannon, out of nowhere, is the Chief Strategist - part of the funding deal, I presume.
I think US institutions and civil society are stronger than the German equivalents were in the 1930s.
Listening to Bannon and Miller it is clear  they are nuts.
GOP voters will not be lied to about health insurance. The lack of payrises is another toxic issue that Trump won't address.
I could see the Revolution dying in the 2018 midterms. The GOP has been whining about Obamacare for maybe 6 years but had no coherent alternative. I don't think the GOP expected Trump to win. So they weren't ready. A bit like Galway winning a hurling semi final. 

sid waddell

Quote from: seafoid on March 01, 2017, 02:03:27 PM

I think US institutions and civil society are stronger than the German equivalents were in the 1930s.
GOP voters will not be lied to about health insurance. The lack of payrises is another toxic issue that Trump won't address.
I could see the Revolution dying in the 2018 midterms. The GOP has been whining about Obamacare for maybe 6 years but had no coherent alternative. I don't think the GOP expected Trump to win. So they weren't ready. A bit like Galway winning a hurling semi final.
Republican members of Congress may well become the enemy du jour for Trumps tweets in the near future.

Hopefully he'll end up splitting and destroying the party.

It would be an excellent thing for humanity.

whitey

Quote from: sid waddell on March 01, 2017, 02:29:18 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 01, 2017, 02:03:27 PM

Republican members of Congress may well become the enemy du jour for Trumps tweets in the near future.

Hopefully he'll end up splitting and destroying the party.

It would be an excellent thing for humanity.

You're dead right.....decades of the Democratic Patry's progressive agenda have just worked out so well for the people of Chicago, Baltimore and Detroit.

One Party Rule, rules......keep it up

seafoid

Whitey,

The Dems introduced social security, Medicare and Obamacare (v popular in GOP states)

What much loved innovations did the GOP introduce in the last century?

J70

Quote from: seafoid on March 01, 2017, 05:31:19 PM
Whitey,

The Dems introduced social security, Medicare and Obamacare (v popular in GOP states)

What much loved innovations did the GOP introduce in the last century?

To be fair, Nixon signed into law the bills from the congress creating the EPA, OSHA, the original Clean Air and Clean Water Acts.

Its a shame the current GOP is so set on gutting health, safety and environmental protection laws, as well as hoping to privatize federal lands or expand drilling and oil mining in them.

foxcommander

How funny was it to watch Pelosi, Warren & co sit through President Trumps first address of congress?

You could tell how angry they were. You could see the veins in their turkey necks sticking out. Even that ***** Lewis sitting with the big ugly head on him refusing to clap the president.
Democrats they sure ain't.

Here's a wee summary of what Democrats don't like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxn0aYehu1s

Democrats are a disgrace. Priorities are so fucked up.
Trump nailed it last night but I guess the nazi/fascist spin will be added by loony lefties. I heard nothing of the sort being mentioned in the speech but some of you tulips will no doubt make such claims.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

J70

Right, because the GOP gave Obama nonstop ovations during his speeches. ::)

At least the Dems didn't shout "you lie!"

And once again, foxcommander singles out the black person or issue for a special bit of vitriol. John Lewis this week, Leslie Jones last. Who's next?

foxcommander

Quote from: J70 on March 01, 2017, 07:32:00 PM

And once again, foxcommander singles out the black person or issue for a special bit of vitriol. John Lewis this week, Leslie Jones last. Who's next?

Typical liberal- Quick, quick, quick - shout racist!!

YOU brought up Leslie Jones - so you can't make a comment about her in response? Is that the way it works for you liberals?

Well played J70.

Well played indeed!

J70

Quote from: foxcommander on March 01, 2017, 07:47:02 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 01, 2017, 07:32:00 PM

Typical liberal- Quick, quick, quick - shout racist!!

YOU brought up Leslie Jones - so you can't make a comment about her in response? Is that the way it works for you liberals?

Well played J70.

Well played indeed!

I brought up Leslie Jones in reference to Yiannopolous and his downfall giving her cause for satisfaction.

The only thing you felt worthy of comment was Jones and her appearance (what was it you said? her/he/it or something?). Nothing whatsoever on Milo and the reason she should feel a little smug.

One of the constants of the board is that you never fail to stick the boot in, usually in a pathetic idiotic manner, when it comes to black people. Lewis, a man whose boots I'd say just about none of us are fit to tie, being just the latest example.

Gabriel_Hurl

QuoteDreadful comedian/comedienne/other.

foxcommander

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on March 01, 2017, 08:20:54 PM

It's pretty pathetic that you felt the need to do his admin for him. Sad.

sid waddell

Quote from: foxcommander on March 01, 2017, 08:32:20 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on March 01, 2017, 08:20:54 PM

It's pretty pathetic that you felt the need to do his admin for him. Sad.
Anything to say about Trump suggesting Jews were to blame for the anti-semitic attacks on cemeteries, mate?