Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: mannix on December 23, 2008, 10:17:29 AM
good to see some words from jom.

Its refreshing to see some strong talk from JOM....

Instead of the "Unfortunately predicting Gaelic football isnt an exact science..." kind of looser talk, negative malarkey he sometimes went on with.

Delighted to see Barry Regan in there. Hope he makes it.
Donal Vaughan will be another future star....

AbbeySider

Finishing work today so im outa here guys, Happy Christmas !  ;D

Mayo for Sam 2009 !  ;D

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on December 23, 2008, 11:47:10 AM
Quote from: mannix on December 23, 2008, 10:17:29 AM
good to see some words from jom.

Its refreshing to see some strong talk from JOM....

Instead of the "Unfortunately predicting Gaelic football isnt an exact science..." kind of looser talk, negative malarkey he sometimes went on with.

Delighted to see Barry Regan in there. Hope he makes it.
Donal Vaughan will be another future star....

Yeah Barry Regan has definitely earned his chance. Whether he makes it or not remains to be seen but he definitely deserves a bit of a run to be able to prove himself. Barry Kelly could offer lots as could Drake. I've already mentioned Ger Cafferkey, Donal Vaughan and Kevin McLoughlin but all in it looks like there be a few more sweeping changes than previously. JOM's talk is somewhat more uplifting than normal but still not running away with himself either.
Looking forward to the NUIG game, will be the first Mayo game I'll be at since losing to Derry in 07
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

stephenite

I see the Western are reporting that Maughan is to take over the job at Crossmolina again

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: stephenite on December 23, 2008, 10:53:53 PM
I see the Western are reporting that Maughan is to take over the job at Crossmolina again

hmmm good appointmnet for them if its true, mite get five more years out of them, eh deel rover  ;) thats d all-ireland in the bag. feck it >:(

the Deel Rover

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on December 24, 2008, 04:42:35 AM
Quote from: stephenite on December 23, 2008, 10:53:53 PM

hmmm good appointmnet for them if its true, mite get five more years out of them, eh deel rover  ;) thats d all-ireland in the bag. feck it >:(

tis true allright yeah the players are delighted that he took the job . They know there not that far off it and if we could get one more year out of Jimmy and Mc and Joe Jeane then who knows  ;) especially with James Cafferkey , Benny , Mark Leonard , Henry Mc Loughlin there's a good sprinkle of youth there as well . i'm away now to finish the christmas shopping so happy christmas to all of ye and i hope ye have a good one and a happy new year
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

dodo

No messing about here.......all over in 3 weeks aside from the jolly to New York.

Quote2009 Connacht FBD League
  Semifinals  Final

Home Finalist ---- 
  Home Finalist ----     
      Finalist ----
    New York ----

Date Stage  Team 1 Score  Team 2 Score Details
19.10.2009 Conn. FBD League F  Finalist ----  New York ---- Details
25.01.2009 Conn. FBD League SF  Home Finalist ----  Home Finalist ---- Details
18.01.2009 Conn. FBD League SA  NUIG ----  IT Sligo ---- Details
18.01.2009 Conn. FBD League SA  Mayo ----  Roscommon ---- Details
18.01.2009 Conn. FBD League SB  Sligo ----  Leitrim ---- Details
18.01.2009 Conn. FBD League SB  GMIT ----  Galway ---- Details
11.01.2009 Conn. FBD League SA  Roscommon ----  NUIG ---- Details
11.01.2009 Conn. FBD League SA  IT Sligo ----  Mayo ---- Details
11.01.2009 Conn. FBD League SB  Galway ----  Leitrim ---- Details
11.01.2009 Conn. FBD League SB  GMIT ----  Sligo ---- Details
04.01.2009 Conn. FBD League SA  Roscommon ----  IT Sligo ---- Details
04.01.2009 Conn. FBD League SA  NUIG ----  Mayo ---- Details
04.01.2009 Conn. FBD League SB  GMIT ----  Leitrim ---- Details
04.01.2009 Conn. FBD League SB  Sligo ----  Galway ---- Details

dodo

Rankings according to this site

http://www.gaainfo.com/rankings/index.php

QuoteRank  County Points
1   Kerry 1807.72
2   Tyrone 1731.69
3   Cork 1661.15
4   Dublin 1645.67
5   Galway 1643.33
6   Derry 1629.56
7   Donegal 1574.10
8   Mayo 1559.32
9   Wexford 1558.56
10   Monaghan 1539.37
11   Armagh 1524.39
12   Westmeath 1515.25
13   Laois 1438.60
14   Kildare 1429.72
15   Meath 1429.52
16   Fermanagh 1427.27
17   Down 1424.39
18   Louth 1340.13
19   Limerick 1310.78
20   Offaly 1274.90
21   Cavan 1266.18
22   Longford 1256.22
23   Roscommon 1228.38
24   Leitrim 1182.91
25   Sligo 1147.02
26   Antrim 1133.86
27   Wicklow 1125.41
28   Tipperary 1049.62
29   Clare 1042.72
30   Carlow 936.99
31   Waterford 888.63
32   London 665.65
33   New York 612.17
34   Kilkenny 460.83

AbbeySider

Quote from: dodo on December 31, 2008, 01:12:48 PM
04.01.2009 Conn. FBD League SA  NUIG ----  Mayo ---- Details

This will be in Dangan, Galway City, I presume?

dodo

Fixtures in paper today with no venues down for them.  ???

RedandGreenSniper

kevmy

Not sure what team played today and i don't think it really matters very few extra will come through until we see whats happening in the league.

By all accounts there was a last push for alot of the senior players last year so I think we may see more youth this year from Johnno. Expect Ger Cafferkey and Tom Cunniffe to get good runs along with Howley at centre back. I could see Ronan, Dillon and the 2 Morts to be the oldest certain starters this year.

StoneWall

I was at the game in Dangan today, disappointing display from Mayo. Of the new lads only Kevin Keane and Stepthen Drake impressed. The team was as follows:

1. David Clarke...Good kick out, did well under the high ball except for one that should have resulted in a goal. Could not be faulted for either of the goals.
2. Colm Cafferkey...Good going forward but very exposed when run at. Surprised he lasted the game. Out of his dept I'm afraid!
3. Kevin Keane...Very composed and good distribution, looks like a real prospect.
4. Stephen Drake...Solid game without being spectacular.
5. Peadar Gardiner...Usual self, full of running. Got yellow carded in the second half.
6. Pat Kelly...Centre back not his position, did very little and his man got on the ball a lot.
7. Colm Boyle...Did well.
8. Pat Harte...Average display, good on the ball going forward. Mayo lost the midfield battle.
9. Barry Kelly...Poor display and surprised he lasted the full game. Totally dominated by Galway Gareth Bradshaw who was the outstanding player on the pitch.
10. Aidan Kilcoyne...Hit a few good frees but did nothing besides.
11. Alan Dillon...Quite first half, got on the ball a bit in the second. Looks like a tired player which is worrying for Mayo and you wonder why he is played in these type of games.
12. Bill Joe Padden...Got on the ball a lot and worked hard. Replaced in the second half.
13. Mikey Sweeney...Got the goal did nothing besides. Out of his dept I'm afraid!
14. Aidan O'Shea...Very quite. I've said before I'll be amazed if he make it at senior inter county.
15. Austin O'Mallery...average, he really must learn to layoff the ball but I doubt he will at this stage of his career.

Subs.
Jason Gibbons for Billy Joe...Got 15 minutes but don't think he touched the ball. I know he's only 19 but really needs to bulk up.
David Cafferty (Charlestown) for Gardiner...Also got yellow carded. Very poor and doesn't have the build for inter county.
Sean Prendergast (Claremorris) for David Cafferty...Not on long enough to judge.

NUIG had three Mayo players, Padraic Healy at corner back who was very solid and did well Austin O'Malley, Ger Cafferkey who did well on Aidan O'Shea, Kieran Conroy at midfield who did well and worked hard. They also had Michael Nestor and Ruariri O'Connor (both Ballintubber) in the subs but neither got a run.

RedandGreenSniper

Was looking forward to going today but couldn't get away. I guess the result is secondary in importance to the performance of new lads. Interesting to see JOM plumb for Kevin Keane and Aidan O'Shea, both of whom are still in secondary school. I'd say in fairness it is next to impossible to judge from this game, given there would have been no collective training sessions for two months and while lads might have been doing their own thing, the freedom around the Xmas prob means they let their hair down.

rosnarun

jaysus stonewall thats a bit rough of the 7  new boys you have written off 6 of them after 1 FBD game I hope JOM has more patience
we need to remeber  new players dont  come to county level fully formed   they need to given a time to show their true worth and idle Criticism effect them far more than established team members like AOM who every one with eyes now realizes will never be county standard
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere