Galway club Football and Hurling thread

Started by GalwayBayBoy, June 20, 2007, 04:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: mouview on January 08, 2009, 03:39:58 PM
Bradshaw at midfield an option perhaps - more likely at wing-back 'd say. Don't think we can afford not to have Conroy at midfield now - better option by far than Coleman or Big Barry.
I'd have to agree with you there.  All being fit and well it would probably be a HB line of Sice/Coyne, Blake & Bradshaw with Conroy & Bergin in the middle.  Bradshaw is too good a footballer to be hemmed in at corner back.  Also good to see some of the 07 minors getting a run.  That seemed to be a fairly talented bunch at minor level so it will be interesting to see how many of them can cut it at senior.

MaroonAndWhite

I think longer term Conroy is the answer midfield.....just not sure that hes physical enough for it yet. Think another year or two around the wings would benefit him and give him time to bulk up. I can see Salmon playin Cullinane (if fit) with Bergin to start with as they had little or no time to form a partnership last year before Joe got injured against Mayo in the league. Cullinane, however unlikely, has to cop himself on or his indiscpline is a liability.

Bradshaw is definitely too good for the full back line alright......we have enough options for the corners anyway.

Do ye think there wold be any merit in playin Sice at wing forward as he does for Corofin......he's fairly accurate and can take a score. He'd be a good man scavenging for breaks round the middle too

Joxer

Having watched Gary Sice a good few times now,  I think he a player thatcould do damage this year for Galway if his club form is anything to go by.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: mouview on January 07, 2009, 10:25:31 PM
Hands is from Oranmore, Coady Oughterard AFAIK. As you say, good to see some new players being drafted in. At the risk of being churlish though, neither Ryan in '07 or Greaney last year impressed me awfully, I hope Sammon isn't going to keep picking favourites (a-la Breathnach) rather than players of ability.

Sometimes though lads that are not stars at underage can improve remarkably as they get older while underage stars can often stagnate or even go backwards. Jonathan Ryan was not one of the stand-out players on the AI winning minor team but maybe he falls into the former category along with Martin Coady. Wasn't Coady a sub on that team?

Anyway anyone have any idea how Tom Hughes and Gary O'Donnell got on in midfield during the FBD games? I see Coleman is going to miss most of the league campaign due to work in Dublin as well.

mouview

Hughes played (briefly) last Friday evening v GMIT in Loughgeorge before being subbed. O'Donnel came on as a sub (any truth in the rumour he's joining Tuam Stars?) Neither are anything other than moderate squad players to be honest. Coleman, loath though I am to criticise any of them, isn't always consistent either, especially in terms of distrubution.

Zulu

Lads is there any sign of Reddington making the senior set up, i thought he was one of the outstanding players from the All Ireland winning team, yet I never hear his name mentioned?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Zulu on January 21, 2009, 07:49:14 PM
Lads is there any sign of Reddington making the senior set up, i thought he was one of the outstanding players from the All Ireland winning team, yet I never hear his name mentioned?

Don't think he's been involved yet. Early days for him mind although there's a few of that minor team that have been playing during the FBD (Ryan, O'Reilly, Greaney and Coady who I think was a sub on that minor team) and obviously Paul Conroy already made the breakthrough last year. Michael Martyn is another but he's playing for GMIT along with Conroy in the FBD.

Zulu

Yeah I know he is still very young and he isn't the biggest lad in the world so it might take him a bit longer to make the step up to senior but I thought of all the players from that minor team he seemed to have the class to make a big impact at senior level. If himself, Conroy and Martyn are at GMIT they should have a half decent Sigerson team this year.

dodo

GMIT have been taking big beatings in the FBD, I wouldn't be backing them to do much in the Sigerson this year.

Sligo 5-13
GMIT 1-9

Galway 2-16
GMIT   0-5

mouview

Beat Leitrim, albeit by a last minute free. Really missed the boat last year when they led Garda by 2 points in the last minute of the extra-time semi-final only for the latter to work the ball the entire length of the field to score a sickening goal.

Duine Eile

Any news on the club scene lads? Gerry Daly has taken the reins in Killererin for this year, his second time in the hotseat. Rumour has it his trainer is going to be Tomas Mannion,don't know how true that is but he'd be a great addition if it is. Hopefully we'll have a better year than last year, wouldn't be hard. Big question is, will Tommie Joyce be back in the panel this year.

GalwayBayBoy

Duine Eile

Haven't heard anything GBB. Haven't seen him around all week either so I don't know. Maroon and White might have some news from the Gap?! The fact he was stretchered off doesn't look good. Both Padraic and Liam Sammon were fairly irate about he way it happened though, supposedly he was kicked across the back of the legs (on more than one occasion) and taken out of it. Wasn't at the game myself so don't really know what happened.

GalwayBayBoy

Nicky Joyce is a doubt for Galway's Division One NFL clash with Dublin in Salthill on February 15.

The attacker, who lifted the FBD league trophy as team captain last month, was stretchered off the pitch at Mullingar on Sunday last following an off-the-ball incident.

He is waiting for results from tests carried out on a knee injury and is unlikely to get the green light for the visit of the Dubs.

Tribe boss Liam Sammon is hoping there is no long-term damage:

"His knee swelled up on Monday and he went for a scan on Tuesday, so we will have to wait and see the extent of the damage. At this stage, he would have to be rated doubtful for the Dublin game."

Definitely out is midfielder Barry Cullinane who received a straight red card last time out for a foul on Dessie Dolan.

GaillimhIarthair

Galway Club Championships Draws 2009

Senior Championship    

Glenamaddy v  Killanin   
St Michaels  v  Caherlistrane   
Maigh Cuilinn  v  Bearna   
Kilkerrin Clonberne  v   Mountbellew Moylough   
Ml Breathnach  v   Corofin   
St Brendans  v   An Chreathrua Rua   
Claregalway  v   Milltown   
Caltra  v   Cortoon Shamrocks   
Salthill Knocknacarra  v  Killererin