Galway club Football and Hurling thread

Started by GalwayBayBoy, June 20, 2007, 04:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Unconfirmed reports state that Ford is gone?

Duine Eile

Been hearing this every couple of days since we lost to Meath as well but whether he has or not it's only a matter of time I'd say.

GaillimhIarthair

Who are peoples favourites to get the Hot Seat ?

Do you think we should stay within the county this time or again, look else where ?

mouview

Apparently the process of appointing a new manager 'is well underway' according to Ollie Turner on GBFM this morning. I would say that they will go internal this time with names like Frank Doherty, Gay McManus, Eoin Donnellan being bandied about. No frontrunner springs to mind immediately I'd say however.

GaillimhIarthair

Apparently Liam Sammon is the front runner for the job.  A big piece in the Advertiser today on the possibility of him taking over the reins............................ 

mouview

Sammon would be too old-fashioned IMHO. Need someone more in tune with current players, someone that commands respect. Monaghan's Banty McAneaney could be a good candidate in a year or two....

Duine Eile

Draw for quarter finals of the football championship on tonight. Also meeting with delegates about the manager's job.

Duine Eile

Senior Draw:

Annaghdown v Milltown
Micheal Breathnach v NUIG
Caltra v Mountbellew Moylough
Killererin v Salthill Knocknacarra

Intermediate Draw:

St. Michael's v Oughterard
Monivea Abbey v Litir Mór/St James
Oranmore Maree v Carna Caiseal
Moycullen v Corofin

mouview

3 of the 4 in the Senior draw are tasty - pity Salthill and Killererin had to meet so soon. Killererin have usually had the upper hand in these but I think the seasiders will come through in this one. Caltra and Mountbellew will be a dour, low-scoring derby I think but expect Caltra to have the edge in ability. Milltown's momentum from the Corofin game should just about take them past Annaghdown, though the latter are usually tough to beat in the c'ship. Dunno 'bout the Breathnach's / NUIG clash - can NUIG field players from the coming academic year crop?

shark

Games are on 8/9th.  First years start on monday 10th so there definitely wont be any playing the 1/4 final.  Its rare that any first years ever make the NUIG team (none last year) so it wont be an issue.  The only big name starting college in NUIG this September (to my knowledge) is Armstrong and he is obviously not gonna be playing.  NUIG will have a similar team that beat Cortoon, with a couple of exceptions, like Westmeath midfielder Duffy to come in.

MaroonAndWhite

Killererin v Salthill will be an absolute dinger..........match befitting a final in my view. To be honest, as a Barnaderg man, id be much happier meeting them now rather than in a final. Quietly confident down our way! Hopefully, fair play will take place and we'll not be asked to play them in their back yard in Pearse.......not asking for Tuam either but Athenry or somewhere like that would be central enough.
Fancy NUIG, Milltown and Mountbellew in the other matches. Caltra didnt seem to be firing on all cylinders last time out but again it all depends on whether Mountbellew manage to shackle Mikey Meehan.....jusy have a sneaking fancy for the black and amber though.
Much less predictable this year minus Corofin!

Duine Eile

Senior Championship:

Killererin or Salthill v NUIG

Caltra v Milltown

Intermediate Championship:

Oughterard v Monivea Abbey

Carna Caiseal v Moycullen

GalwayBayBoy

Two goals from Eugene Cloonan helped Athenry set up a SHC quarter-final date with reigning champions Loughrea.

Cloonan's double strike was crucial in the former All-Ireland club champions' 2-18 to 2-11 victory over Beagh at Pearse Stadium on Saturday. Athenry led by 0-9 to 0-6 at half-time before Cloonan's brace of goals ended the game as a contest. Beagh did, however, manage two late goals from the Gantley brothers, Rory and Joe.

Clarinbridge can look forward to a quarter-final joust with favourites Portumna following their 0-20 to 0-14 win over neighbours Craughwell. Mullagh are also through to the last eight after defeating Kiltormer by 0-16 to 0-9. They will now meet surprise packets Kinvara in the knock-out stages.

In the other quarter-final, Castlegar will face Gort after their 1-14 to 0-14 victory over city rivals Liam Mellowes.

Galway SHC quarter-finals

Athenry v Loughrea
Clarinbridge v Portumna
Mullagh v Kinvara
Castlegar v Gort

MaroonAndWhite

Well buachailli agus cailini, whats the feeling on the ground ahead of Killererin v Salthill part deux?? Word on the street is that theres a good bit of infighting within the Salthill camp and Doherty might have walked. Anyone know if this is true? Ah well, sure if it is, Frank wont go hungry........he'll have plenty of "mileage" coming in from his other four or five training jobs!!!!

Duine Eile

I think we'll take them this time!No doubt in my mind! (I've been told I'm pessimistic lately so I'm trying to change, how's that for optimism!) It's an even enough contest though, we really need a bigger input from Padraic and Nicky. What's the mood like in the parish MaroonAndWhite, away from home this week. Sure isn't Doherty gone managing Clare now, he'll hardly have time for all his other training jobs now will he!