Time to merge the LGFA and Camogie Association under the GAA umbrella

Started by Eamonnca1, October 03, 2017, 07:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiempo

Quote from: shark on July 08, 2022, 11:23:37 AM
The money is not there. This cost is a big issue for the GAA too, even though they can currently afford it. The main problem is we have normalised a situation where young people are driving insane mileage in order to keep up their hobby.

100%

thewobbler

The money is not there. This cost is a big issue for the GAA too, even though they can currently afford it. The main problem is we have normalised a situation where young people are driving insane mileage in order to keep up their hobby.

That's it in a nutshell.

If 1000-odd amateur cyclists created a union and demanded they get travel expenses somehow from somewhere, to enable them to train dozens/hundreds of miles from home, they'd get laughed at.  LGFA and camogie players need to bear this in mind.

Rossfan

Meanwhile 2,000 or so amateur footballers and hurlers get expenses to travel loads of Kms from where they're based to train for their amateur sport.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Truth hurts

Quote from: thewobbler on July 08, 2022, 12:25:35 PM

That's it in a nutshell.

If 1000-odd amateur cyclists created a union and demanded they get travel expenses somehow from somewhere, to enable them to train dozens/hundreds of miles from home, they'd get laughed at.  LGFA and camogie players need to bear this in mind.

Do the LGFA not have 15million in the bank or something like that

Cavan19

Quote from: thewobbler on July 08, 2022, 10:16:47 AM
Quote from: Cavan19 on July 08, 2022, 10:13:55 AM
Quote from: FermGael on July 08, 2022, 09:58:35 AM
https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40913051.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

They need to grow a pair.

Not as much as they need to grow an income stream.

They want equal status as the men but their sport is not popular enough or never will be to get the same income streams as the men. Anyone spending over €1k a month on travelling expenses and not getting reimbursed needs there head examined IMO as there are no medals for seen who can be out off pocket the most.

What's going to happen when/if they come under the GAA umbrella are they going to expect the same expenses while putting very little in the pot?

shark

Quote from: Cavan19 on July 08, 2022, 01:30:21 PM
https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40913051.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

They want equal status as the men but their sport is not popular enough or never will be to get the same income streams as the men. Anyone spending over €1k a month on travelling expenses and not getting reimbursed needs there head examined IMO as there are no medals for seen who can be out off pocket the most.

What's going to happen when/if they come under the GAA umbrella are they going to expect the same expenses while putting very little in the pot?

If they were part of the GAA then they would have to get the same. I suspect HQs push back on the GPA regarding travel expenses may have this in mind. If not, then they should be thinking about it.
There are other aspects to consider outside of cost. The time spent on the road is time that these young people will never get back. It might seem worth it right now, but I'm not sure many of them will feel the same way by the time they finish playing.
Then there is the environmental cost of players driving such mileage in order to train collectively. I'm not expert in the climate agenda - and I can't say I do much personally to reduce my own impact. But it is getting harder to ignore.

tiempo

Quote from: shark on July 08, 2022, 01:43:57 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on July 08, 2022, 01:30:21 PM

If they were part of the GAA then they would have to get the same. I suspect HQs push back on the GPA regarding travel expenses may have this in mind. If not, then they should be thinking about it.
There are other aspects to consider outside of cost. The time spent on the road is time that these young people will never get back. It might seem worth it right now, but I'm not sure many of them will feel the same way by the time they finish playing.
Then there is the environmental cost of players driving such mileage in order to train collectively. I'm not expert in the climate agenda - and I can't say I do much personally to reduce my own impact. But it is getting harder to ignore.

1) 100%

2) Put that in your pipe and smoke it GPA Tom/GPA Meyler - we need to consider the mental health of the trees, squirrels, etc. anyone not speaking out is part of the problem, naturally

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Cavan19 on July 08, 2022, 01:30:21 PM.

One would assume so. Tbe Carlow hurlers get the same expenses as the Dublin footballers

armaghniac

LGFA quarter finals today. You have to wonder if they offset their season a bit more then they might get more attention for their games and so more funding eventually. There is a whole August/September slot there.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

pbat

To have Galway ladies playing at the same time as the men is madness, surely two quarters early today and two early tomorrow(12.00 and 14.00).

armaghniac

Mary McAleese to chair the committee to integrate the 3 associations.

seafoid

LGFA & Camogie players to play 'under protest' over lack of support | Full press conference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e-P7PVeHfQ

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/06/19/camogie-and-ladies-football-panels-unite-against-being-treated-as-second-class-citizens/

Intercounty camogie and football panels will play out the remainder of their 2023 Championship campaigns under protest.
The development follows the release of the State of Play Report in April which called for, among other things, governing bodies to develop a charter designed for female players to be implemented in the 2024 season.

In a statement released this morning and signed off by the "senior intercounty ladies football and camogie panels", it was claimed that, "Despite initial positive indications, the GAA has since declined our proposal. The Camogie Association, however, did request a presentation to be made to their Ard Chomhairle, which took place last week. Regrettably, the LGFA has not deemed it appropriate to respond.

"Their primary rationale is that they prefer to complete the integration process before initiating a charter for female players. Despite the evidence presented, they expect us to patiently endure the treatment of second-class citizens."

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

armaghniac

These organisations do not have the funds to provide the same resources to players and the GAA will be reluctant to merge on the basis that this will then see funds redirected, it would be a bit like Irish unity. However, the ladies' associations should have helped themselves by making their season a bit different from the compressed GAA season, if they had games in September then TV would cover them, the media would mention them and more people would go to them.
Armagh ladies had a good win at the weekend but few noticed, in August they might get more attention.

befair

Gaelic football is a hobby; expecting to be reimbursed for a hobby is absurd, especially for Ladies' football, which has NO money. Better to reimburse the volunteers on LGFA county boards, a truly thankless task