Poll: Yards or Metres, which sound better?

Started by Jaysus, September 10, 2016, 04:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If yards and metres were exactly the same, which would you prefer in GAA?

Yards
Metres

Jaysus

Hi there I'm new on here! I was just noticing lately on the commentary of the matches, some commentators speak about distances in yards and others in metres. Some sports use yards like soccer and golf but others are metric like GAA and rugby, but some pundits speak in yards.

They're both pretty much the same, so I was wondering if hypothetically if 1 yard was exactly equal to 1 metre (if they were just two words to mean the same thing). Which would you prefer the GAA to use? As they're the same, it would come down to how the word sounds I guess.

armaghniac

I am an avowed anti imperialist, no some doubt others here have pro imperial views.

What is especially ridiculous is that 25 years after the changing the field measurements to metres, GAA programmes still contain player information only in ridiculous feet and inches and even more ridiculous stones, when those players weren't born when the field measurements were changed to metric.

Time for the GAA to go the full yard on this matter.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

It will always be the 14 yard line and a 50 to me.

OgraAnDun

I say the 14 and 21 and after that switch to the 45 and 65! They're virtually interchangeable for most distances in football anyway.

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

armaghniac

omaghjoe

Quote from: armaghniac on September 10, 2016, 04:36:36 PM
I am an avowed anti imperialist, no some doubt others here have pro imperial views.

What is especially ridiculous is that 25 years after the changing the field measurements to metres, GAA programmes still contain player information only in ridiculous feet and inches and even more ridiculous stones, when those players weren't born when the field measurements were changed to metric.

Time for the GAA to go the full yard on this matter.

Not so found of the pints then?

You do get that its the name of a measurement system, nothing to do with building empires?

AZOffaly

Jaysus

Quote from: armaghniac on September 10, 2016, 04:36:36 PM

Can't help but notice you said that using the English language!

Rossfan

I thought silly season threads only started after the All Irl Final :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 10, 2016, 09:37:01 PM

Not so found of the pints then?

You do get that its the name of a measurement system, nothing to do with building empires?

Of course it is a measurement system imposed by the Evil Brutish Empire!
It is also bizarre.

Bord na Mona man

Yesterday on the BBC coverage the Derry keeper picked the ball up in the '6 yard box'.

Interestingly, it's over four decades since the GAA went metric and 50s became 45s, 70s became 65s, 14 yard frees became 13 metres frees and refs no longer brought the ball up 10 yards.
Rugby also switched to metric in that era. However I've never heard anyone in rugby call it the '25 over the 22 for example, the way GAA people still use the old standard.

I wonder why did rugby make the switch far easier when the UK still very much holds onto imperial units such as feet, yards, miles, pounds and ounces?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on May 16, 2022, 03:57:50 PM
Yesterday on the BBC coverage the Derry keeper picked the ball up in the '6 yard box'.

Interestingly, it's over four decades since the GAA went metric and 50s became 45s, 70s became 65s, 14 yard frees became 13 metres frees and refs no longer brought the ball up 10 yards.
Rugby also switched to metric in that era. However I've never heard anyone in rugby call it the '25 over the 22 for example, the way GAA people still use the old standard.

I wonder why did rugby make the switch far easier when the UK still very much holds onto imperial units such as feet, yards, miles, pounds and ounces?

Crazy lol.. I'll tell players to stand back 13 meters for free's but shout 70" in hurling and 45 in football
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Itchy

It's a bit of both with me. You have to be multi dimensional to play gaa