Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: trileacman on July 06, 2022, 02:18:20 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 05, 2022, 11:51:59 PM
I think Johnson as pm is a significant plus for the yes vote.

He is and isnt. Obviously he doesn't rate that highly among the Scots but he is a charismatic character who has mixed with big political players worldwide. He embodies the place of Britain amongst the global elite which the Scots may not want to jettison in favour of being a mid-level nobody state.

A freshly minted sunak or Javid don't have the charisma for a big referendum. Johnson has the bluster and appeal for those who would like him.

Johnson has absolutely no appeal to anyone in Scotland to the extent that Ruth Davidson told him not to come north during the GE as he would hurt the Tory vote there.

The level of disdain in Scotland has only went up since. Him resigning or getting the boot is a hammer blow to Sturgeon and her hope of a second referendum.

trileacman

Quote from: johnnycool on July 06, 2022, 03:16:26 PM

He is and isnt. Obviously he doesn't rate that highly among the Scots but he is a charismatic character who has mixed with big political players worldwide. He embodies the place of Britain amongst the global elite which the Scots may not want to jettison in favour of being a mid-level nobody state.

A freshly minted sunak or Javid don't have the charisma for a big referendum. Johnson has the bluster and appeal for those who would like him.

Johnson has absolutely no appeal to anyone in Scotland to the extent that Ruth Davidson told him not to come north during the GE as he would hurt the Tory vote there.

The level of disdain in Scotland has only went up since. Him resigning or getting the boot is a hammer blow to Sturgeon and her hope of a second referendum.

Only if Gove is elected PM. I can't see any of the others being more appealing than Johnson.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

johnnycool

Quote from: trileacman on July 06, 2022, 04:10:08 PM

Only if Gove is elected PM. I can't see any of the others being more appealing than Johnson.

The Moggster is possibly the only other likely leader of the Tory party that might carry the same disdain in Scotland as Boris after he called the leader of the Scottish Tory's as a low level member of the Tory party but that will never happen.

Main Street

I head some conservative party  commentators on the BBBC WS  refer to the good things that Johnson did, he promised to get Brexit done and he got it done, over and done with apart from the NI protocol bit which has still to be resolved.
Talk about spin, how about Johnson got Brexit done solely  by  agreeing to sign into intl trade law the NI Protocol  and later undid Brexit with attempts to unsign Britain's name from that NI protocol bit.

trileacman

Quote from: johnnycool on July 06, 2022, 04:20:10 PM

The Moggster is possibly the only other likely leader of the Tory party that might carry the same disdain in Scotland as Boris after he called the leader of the Scottish Tory's as a low level member of the Tory party but that will never happen.

I disagree. Boris is a populist elected on the back of the anti-establishment surge that began around 2016. I know a few working class Catholics who strongly agree with his anti-EU, anti immigration stance (regrettably). Likewise in Scotland I suspect there's a rump of SNP voters who to some extent admire Johnsons disruptive style.

Main Street

Quote from: trileacman on July 06, 2022, 10:48:50 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on July 06, 2022, 04:20:10 PM

I disagree. Boris is a populist elected on the back of the anti-establishment surge that began around 2016. I know a few working class Catholics who strongly agree with his anti-EU, anti immigration stance (regrettably). Likewise in Scotland I suspect there's a rump of SNP voters who to some extent admire Johnsons disruptive style.
Any evidence to support that, to elevate it a bit higher than a suspicion?
According to opinion research polling in Scotland, Johnson has been steadily sinking to new lows in support by the month
"Boris Johnson has never received positive ratings in Scotland, but these latest Ipsos and STV News findings are a new low for the Prime Minister."

https://www.ipsos.com/en-uk/satisfaction-boris-johnson-hits-new-low-scots-feel-cost-living-crisis-bite

And that's from June 1st

trileacman

I suppose we'll wait and see and compare it with the next leader.

marty34

I see the Port of Dover are blaming the French authorities for the backlog of traffic on the English side.

Sicken them rightly.

blasmere

Quote from: marty34 on July 22, 2022, 05:42:05 PM
I see the Port of Dover are blaming the French authorities for the backlog of traffic on the English side.

Sicken them rightly.

According to a travel expert on ITV news every uk passport is being stamped in France, whereas previoulsy they were just waved through with a quick flash of their passport. That's Brexit for you. The gammon press will be frothing at this blaming the bloody froggies!
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mouview

Quote from: bennydorano on July 22, 2022, 11:54:52 PM
ANDREW NEIL: It's the EU that's staring into the abyss https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-11040599/ANDREW-NEIL-EU-thats-staring-abyss.html?ito=native_share_article-masthead

He may have a point, but many of the ills he accuses the EU of having, Britain have the same. And if Putin turns off the gas taps, the UK aren't going to be any better off than the EU.

God14

Quote from: mouview on July 23, 2022, 01:02:47 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on July 22, 2022, 11:54:52 PM
ANDREW NEIL: It's the EU that's staring into the abyss https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-11040599/ANDREW-NEIL-EU-thats-staring-abyss.html?ito=native_share_article-masthead

He may have a point, but many of the ills he accuses the EU of having, Britain have the same. And if Putin turns off the gas taps, the UK aren't going to be any better off than the EU.

The brits were getting under 5per cent of their gas from Russia before the war. They are less vulnerable therefore to putins threats, but if he does turn the taps off it will drive the prices sky high globally

Also now the brits are out of the EU, Italian and Greek debt defaults are not really an issue for them. I think that's what he is getting at. Whereas they would be a problem for Brussels and all EU member states

imtommygunn

Has he not already turned off a load anyway?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 23, 2022, 03:23:26 PM
Has he not already turned off a load anyway?

It's always down this time of year for cleaning and maintenance

Will he turn it back on is the question?