Croagh Patrick

Started by Boycey, July 30, 2017, 09:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

Reading there about all the people carted off it today https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0730/893998-croagh-patrick-injuries/

What's the story? Why would you put yourself through something like that on a day like today.. anyone here do it or ever do it?

BennyCake

Heard that.

I did it 2 years ago, but got a good dry day. Would have been a death trap if raining.

Boycey

Not to turn this into a thread about slagging off religion as sometimes happens on here. I myself have absolutely no faith of any kind, is that why most people would have insisted on doing it today??

I wouldn't be averse to climbing it myself if I was in the locality and it was a pleasant enough day but one look at a day like today and I'd say sod that

BenDover

Me and the OH did it one day after a slap of drink the previous night and a bottle of water between the 2 of us - madness looking back at it. Most unprepared trek is ever made. Glad I can say I've did it. Could see feck all from the top with the clouds down.

imtommygunn

Was today not a day of significance? Reeky sunday or something?

People do it in their bare feet all the time which can not be healthy for your feet at all given how stony it is.

Itchy

Anyone rescued should pay the bill for their rescue. Was talking to one of the first aiders on the mountain once and he told me they all day lifting pensioners with pneumonia of the mountain. Walking bare foot in rain and cloud ffs.

Boycey

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 30, 2017, 09:44:00 PM

People do it in their bare feet all the time which can not be healthy for your feet at all given how stony it is.

I read somewhere there was 11 masses at the summit today so it definitely has some significance. Is it a penance thing?

Itchy

Quote from: Boycey on July 30, 2017, 09:49:02 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 30, 2017, 09:44:00 PM

I read somewhere there was 11 masses at the summit today so it definitely has some significance. Is it a penance thing?

It's a pagan pilgrimage which the church hijacked many years ago. Called reek Sunday.