6 County Assembly Elections - 5th May 2022

Started by Snapchap, February 23, 2022, 10:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser soze

I hope they get rid of the protocol unilaterally, if it stays IMO there is a much decreased chance of a UI ever happening as this place will boom when it is fully implemented.

If the protocol goes and there is a border placed where the border used to be I think it would be the greatest catalyst to reunification since partition happened, as the vast majority of people in OWC don't want to see this happen.

The drift towards the middle ground by young people from a nationalist background would reverse and the hardline unionist support would continue to shrink until the event horizon is reached.

Unionist politicians, not being so good at the old strategic thinking, are looking rid of it anyway, in the same way they championed Brexit.

johnnycool

Quote from: Eire90 on May 11, 2022, 09:10:13 AM
so what happens if the protocol is ditch will there be violence

It'll get a name change at best to allow Wee Jeff to spin some sort of victory.

The EU most definitely will need to protect it's borders from the shit the Brits intend to bring into the UK.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 11, 2022, 09:04:25 AM
The protocol is just a stick for the brits to beat the EU with. They couldn't give a f**k about it.

The world of politics is just one lie after another. They should have a poll of MLAs as to who is in favour of the protocol. There is a presumption that being a unionist means you think the protocol is bad - that is not true. Also there is a difference between being against the fundamentals of there being a protocol itself and being against some of it's content and wanted some negotiation / tweaks on it.
Apparently 54 are in favour
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Eire90

women on nolan wants the border put back up

imtommygunn

That's the problem with the protocol. It's not a hard border. It's not economics.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: Eire90 on May 11, 2022, 09:40:22 AM

Mary hasn't a clue what she wants. She has been fed that much shite she'd believe there were two monkeys riding bikes up the street if you told her.

RedHand88

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 11, 2022, 10:04:13 AM
That's the problem with the protocol. It's not a hard border. It's not economics.
The other problem with the Protocol is that the Tories use it to  manipulate the EU
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

marty34

Quote from: NAG1 on May 11, 2022, 08:48:14 AM
It was the only card they had left to cling onto the notion that they still run this place.

I hope it will back fire spectacularly again and that will completely finish them politically.

On a more technical note, there should be some mechanism in the process to stop this kinda of co-opting BS happening so close to an election. If it happens within a certain time period outside of extreme circumstances there should not be co-opting.

Yeah, like buying a house - you can't sell it for 5 years.  Same thing here about mp and mla. Can't switch for 3 years say.

Would cut out what Jeffrey's currently at.

I still think there'll be another election.

marty34

Quote from: seafoid on May 11, 2022, 09:03:04 AM
https://www.ft.com/content/27e4ce93-a0f2-4a22-a857-6b2bdd3dc324

The EU is unlikely to offer any more concessions on the protocol, say diplomats in Brussels, because it believes the UK has largely ignored proposals it made in October to reduce red tape on goods entering Northern Ireland. One EU diplomat said Brussels "has made a far-reaching offer on the Northern Ireland protocol. If the UK refuses to acknowledge this and to engage on this basis, might it then not be the time for the UK to honour its international obligations and simply implement what it has knowingly and wilfully signed up to?"

EU, I hope, are going to be a bit more hardline if this takes off.

They are going to break an international treaty and should be punished big time.

marty34

How ironic?

A report released this morning:

"The latest economic outlook from the National Institute of Economic and Social Research (NIESR) said the Northern Ireland economy outperformed the UK average, and is now recovered to pre-pandemic levels"

All down to the protocol.

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on May 11, 2022, 10:40:54 AM
How ironic?

A report released this morning:

"The latest economic outlook from the National Institute of Economic and Social Research (NIESR) said the Northern Ireland economy outperformed the UK average, and is now recovered to pre-pandemic levels"

All down to the protocol.

Utter balls............

It's purely down to the good protestant work ethic.

Snapchap

Quote from: Mourne Red on May 11, 2022, 10:21:09 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on May 11, 2022, 10:16:46 AM

What time was she on??  ;D

16:90

Would yis not consider doing the morally and socially responsible thing and boycott that toxic excuse for a journalist?

Estimator

Listened back to hear some of what was said..

Mary from Newtownabbey:

"They have put me in a position where I am not classed as living in NI, I'm in part of the EU.
I didn't ask to me put in to the EU, I said I would remain in it.
I voted, that if it came to the vote that we had to leave, that we left with Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland."

"I would say put the border back down where it was, because I was born in NI, I want to stay in NI."

"And I don't think we should condone what SF and themmuns did, because they bombed us."

Nolan intervenes to say SF didn't bomb anyone. Though she was allowed to continue on the same theme about members of SF being in the IRA.
Ulster League Champions 2009